Multi monitor setup on a laptop - so close but so far

Hey , Pretty new to this but not to computers , I have a MSI GS75 so a pretty beefy machine but only one HDMI out port. I have around 8 spare screens available to setup with FSX so gave it a go but its not going well..

So laptop has 1 HDMI

1 Thunderbolt 3/USB C

2 X USB3.0's

I bought a bunch of USB3.0 to VGA adapters and a couple of 4 port USB 3.0 hubs. hooked everything up but found that the hubs willl only support one of the screens , if i tried to plug more than one VGA Adapter in to the same hub the screen started flickering , i could reduce the resolution right down and it seemed more stable but only tried this with 2 ports occupied , id put money that if i hooked up the others they would flicker eventually and even so the resolution wouldnt be good enough for a good experience.

Now iv wasted a chunk of cash on these things so trying to figure out a way to get it working , Im guessing the issue is between the laptop USB > USB Hub , perhaps bandwith limits but cant figure a way around it.

The best I can come up with is to limit to 4 screens , 2 on VGA adapters , 1 direct to HDMI and one on the thunderbolt USB C but i really want to get all 8 going for better imersion.

Anybody have any tips or thoughts ? Iim thinking my next step is to look at a thunderbolt USB hub

Whether your USB hub is powered or not may make a difference. And at that you would need a good quality powered hub. Also, there's a finite bandwidth for the USB root hub in the computer. You may be trying to pass more data then the motherboard can handle.

Whether your USB hub is powered or not may make a difference. And at that you would need a good quality powered hub. Also, there's a finite bandwidth for the USB root hub in the computer. You may be trying to pass more data then the motherboard can handle.

I was thinking the same, Ive ordered a powered hub to try that.

Regards the bandwith ive even got a thunderbolt port but oddly there dosnt seem to be a product that will use this for multiple display adapters or a decent amount of USB ports ( largest I found was 4 port )

Quiet here ! I tried a powered USB Hub but it still didn't work , id get slight flickering and when more than one screen was plugged in it would go fuzzy and the colours where all weird like a bad painting !

Ive now picked up a thunderbolt to 2 hdmi adapter , a Matrox VGA Dual and a DVI dual , Along with a HDMI>Display port cable and two DVI to HDMI cables, Il loose a couple of screens for my side view from what I first planned but should still get a decent setup if this works together.

Il have the HDMI out of my laptop going to the Matrox DVI unit outputting to two 27" monitors as my front windows/top of cockpit.

The thunderbolt to 2 HDMI outputting to two 24" monitors to use as the front side windows.

One laptop USB Port to USB to VGA adapter linked to the matrox VGA dual unit outputting to two 22" monitors which im hoping to split into the rest of the lower cockpit panel ( the adapters worked if only one was plugged in per USB port on motherboard i.e not multiple in a hub linked to the same laptop port )

Laptop screen used for GPS/flight list etc.

Second laptop USB port linked to the powered hub which will have my yoke and switch panels etc connected along with keyboard and mouse.

Possibly :

The third( last) USB port on the laptop to a VGA adapter hooked up to an overhead 20" monitor to see the cockpits overhead panel.

Will try and update if it works out.

If you go to YouTube and do a search you will find that you are not the first one what wants multiple monitors out of a laptop. There must be 100's of videos (200? 500?) on that subject. Here is one about 7 monitors on USB 3.0 laptop. Link:

(right click this link and choose 'Open In A New Tab'). If this don't do it then I don't know what will. Perhaps the answer is to can the VGA monitors and get LCD or LED ones. Hope this helps.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: The 'catch' is that is for USB 3.0!!! Cables and VGA adopters are extra of course. But it can handle it. Reviews say 'bought a $299 hub and returned it. Bought the Plugable and couldn't be happier - solved my problem'. 'Great value and it works perfect'. Etc. Oh, the hub is $29.99 at Amazon. Peanuts! Oh and you can charge your devices on USB #1 and #7. AND it has an ON/OFF switch!

Edited by napamule2
i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hey Chuck

Those ( And the ones i have found on youtube so far ) look the same kind of adapters that I said I've already tried and was having the issues with unfortunately, even with the powered hub like their setup on the video.

I thought perhaps the pluggable adapters are better quality but by cost of enough of those I could perhaps get a thunderbolt PCI enclosure and a second graphics card with the required display ports and would allow to use NVidia surround etc. Shame as if these USB>VGA adaters had done what they where supposed to it would have been a lot cheaper and easier !

With a 4 port hub you can connect 4 devices to a computer.

But, only one can send/receive data at a same time.

If there are things to be sent to 2 devices, the tasks are put in a cue.

Windows sends part of task 1 to device 1

then Windows sends part of task 2 to device 2

Then Windows sends the next part of task one to device 1

etc.

You will see this clearly when copying 2 very large files to 2 Usb pen drives in the hub.

When doing the copy task separately you get:

Copy file 1 to stick 1. Takes 20 minutes.

Then you copy file 2 to to stick 2. Takes e.g. 30 minutes.

total time needed was 50 minutes.

When copying the files to two ports on the hub at the same time you get:

You copy file 1 to stick 1 and file 2 to disk 2

You wait, while both copy tasks are taking place.

total time needed.... still 50 minutes.

( Here you see the result of the cueing. A hub does not give you "for brand new ports". It gives you four entrances to one usb port o the mainboard. And only one signal can go through that mainboard port at a time.)

If you copy to two mainboard ports the result is very different.

copy file 1 to usb stick in port 1 and 2 to usbstick in port 2 at the same time.

file 1 finished after 20 minutes

file 2 finished after 30 minutes.

total time needed is 30 minutes.

If this was a desktop you could install a PCIexpress card or PCI card that adds USB ports. Those ports would work independently. (just like mainboard ports.)

If the hub is connected to one usb port on the pc, you can only attach one monitor. As a monitor requires data sent to it constantly.

Some hubs connect to two usb ports for data. When connected like that you might be able to attach two monitors to the hub. (but be aware, in some hubs the second connection to the PC is not for data but only for supplying power.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With a 4 port hub you can connect 4 devices to a computer.

But, only one can send/receive data at a same time.

If there are things to be sent to 2 devices, the tasks are put in a cue.

Windows sends part of task 1 to device 1

then Windows sends part of task 2 to device 2

Then Windows sends the next part of task one to device 1

etc.

You will see this clearly when copying 2 very large files to 2 Usb pen drives in the hub.

When doing the copy task separately you get:

Copy file 1 to stick 1. Takes 20 minutes.

Then you copy file 2 to to stick 2. Takes e.g. 30 minutes.

total time needed was 50 minutes.

When copying the files to two ports on the hub at the same time you get:

You copy file 1 to stick 1 and file 2 to disk 2

You wait, while both copy tasks are taking place.

total time needed.... still 50 minutes.

( Here you see the result of the cueing. A hub does not give you "for brand new ports". It gives you four entrances to one usb port o the mainboard. And only one signal can go through that mainboard port at a time.)

If you copy to two mainboard ports the result is very different.

copy file 1 to usb stick in port 1 and 2 to usbstick in port 2 at the same time.

file 1 finished after 20 minutes

file 2 finished after 30 minutes.

total time needed is 30 minutes.

If this was a desktop you could install a PCIexpress card or PCI card that adds USB ports. Those ports would work independently. (just like mainboard ports.)

If the hub is connected to one usb port on the pc, you can only attach one monitor. As a monitor requires data sent to it constantly.

Some hubs connect to two usb ports for data. When connected like that you might be able to attach two monitors to the hub. (but be aware, in some hubs the second connection to the PC is not for data but only for supplying power.)

Thanks for that explanation , I wondered if it was a bandwith issue.

Seems like my second setup will be more likely to succeed by utilising the matrox adapters, however after what you said there im a little worried about all the controllers that will be running from the hub. Guess I can only try it and see.

Failing this I guess I will have to either look at a PCI Thunderbolt enclosure which would allow either a PCI USB card or even a desktop graphics card with more direct outputs built in. Or using a PC for the sim.

Edited by AgentSmith

I THINK the Plugable hub people do provide some software with their hub but am not positive. The critical point is: IT HAS TO BE USB 3.0 at the PC or Laptop. USB 3.0 is 10 times faster than USB 2.0. So the 50 min's would then only be 5 min's. And they used Win 7 64 bit which is also critcal. XP might not be able to handle this task where Win 7 64 bit can and will. Line up your ducks, like they say, BEFORE you 'plug them in' (hehe). And to be on the safe side, plug your hub to the wall socket and NOT to a power strip due to current demands.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I THINK the Plugable hub people do provide some software with their hub but am not positive. The critical point is: IT HAS TO BE USB 3.0 at the PC or Laptop. USB 3.0 is 10 times faster than USB 2.0. So the 50 min's would then only be 5 min's. And they used Win 7 64 bit which is also critcal. XP might not be able to handle this task where Win 7 64 bit can and will. Line up your ducks, like they say, BEFORE you 'plug them in' (hehe). And to be on the safe side, plug your hub to the wall socket and NOT to a power strip due to current demands.

Chuck B

Napamule

Laptop and the hub was using was USB 3.0 ( well hub was advertised as ) which is why I thought it would have worked first time round with the adapters, and hub was mains powered.

Really don't get why it didn't work apart from bandwith issues.

My thinking now is that rather than two signals for two monitors the laptop is only outputting the one and its the Matrox adapters that are sending it to the two monitors so bandwith I hope is ok, Just waiting on the VGA Matrox box arriving then will give it all a go.

Ready to chuck it in ,

The image quality from the Matrox digital is poor but worked to send the HDMI put of the laptop to the two monitors.

The Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter just dosnt work , no output from it.

The VGA matrox until isnt compatible running at the same time as the digital one

So have gone from having 4 working screens via the crappy usb adapters to 2 having paid a couple hundred of pounds for the pleasure.

Did you notice that I emphasied: Your LAPTOP (or PC) HAS to have USB 3.0 for the multi-monitor setup to work. The Hub can't compensate if your lapto (or PC) only has USB 2.0 type ports. Minor point? No MAJOR point!! Why? Because USB 3.0 is TEN TIMES FASTER than USB 2.0!!! Simple as that.

Chuck B

Napamule

Hey , You must have missed where I said my laptop is USB 3.0

Did you notice that I emphasied: Your LAPTOP (or PC) HAS to have USB 3.0 for the multi-monitor setup to work. The Hub can't compensate if your lapto (or PC) only has USB 2.0 type ports. Minor point? No MAJOR point!! Why? Because USB 3.0 is TEN TIMES FASTER than USB 2.0!!! Simple as that.

Chuck B

Napamule

This? 'Laptop and the hub was using was USB 3.0 ( well hub was advertised as ) which is why I thought it would have worked first time round with the adapters, and hub was mains powered.'

Sorry.

Still wondering if the hub IS 3.0 ('advertised as'). And what does this mean: 'hub was mains powered'. What does 'mains powered' mean?

Chuck B

Napamule

This? 'Laptop and the hub was using was USB 3.0 ( well hub was advertised as ) which is why I thought it would have worked first time round with the adapters, and hub was mains powered.'

Sorry.

Still wondering if the hub IS 3.0 ('advertised as'). And what does this mean: 'hub was mains powered'. What does 'mains powered' mean?

Chuck B

Napamule

Yes.

Well it is advertised as 3.0 and appears to be but because of the issues wondered if it actually was , I have since tried another USB hub and it had the same issue so I think the hub is ruled out. The theory that it is down to it still coming from a single usb port on the laptop still makes the most sense at the moment but then the pluggable video goes against that.

Mains powered means there is power to the USB hub from the mains i.e its own power supply to a wall socket rather than powering from the laptops USB and was in response to your suggestion - "And to be on the safe side, plug your hub to the wall socket and NOT to a power strip due to current demands."

I believe I can have it working in a way but not ideal and if the USB adapters worked could improve it with enough screens to not need to pan the view at all but it will work -

HDMI>Matrox triplehead2go>3 monitors for front view and top of control panel.

Thunderbolt3 > HDMI dual output adapter > 2 monitors for side view.

Laptop USB port > VGA Adapter > front monitor used for instrument panel.

Laptop USB port > VGA Adapter > overhead monitor used for overhead panel.

Laptops own monitor used for GPS/Map.

The quality from the double2go I currently have isnt the best but it is going through a HDMI to Displayport adapter cable so perhaps the triple head to go that has the DVI in would be better as its an easier signal to convert with the HDMI, ive got one coming to try anyway so I can give the above setup a go.

Also the thunderbolt adapter seems to be detected by the graphics card and outputted in NVidia surround in better quality so its a shame I cant get one of these that will output to 3 monitors without buying an expensive docking station but the above setup seems workable, it also leaves a spare laptop USB port linked to the hub for the controls etc

HDMI>Matrox triplehead2go>3 monitors for front view and top of control panel.

Thunderbolt3 > HDMI dual output adapter > 2 monitors for side view.

Laptop USB port > VGA Adapter > front monitor used for instrument panel.

Laptop USB port > VGA Adapter > overhead monitor used for overhead panel.

Laptops own monitor used for GPS/Map.

Wow man, send us a picture if you make it work

Small update -

Got the thunderbolt adapter working so that's side view sorted, it actually gets picked up by the graphics card too so would work with NVidia surround if needed.

What I came up with the USB adapters minimising to one adapter per direct port looks like it would work , Im having to do a bit of modifying to the pole and stand for the overhead , screens a little small for it but it would work and anything bigger probably a bit heavy as its scary as it is now ha !

Unfortunately the screens I planned to use for the instruments sit too high so you cant see the "window" monitors behind them ( too high). Il put that to the side for now.

The pain in my ass yesterday was the damn triplehead2go, I cannot get it to work with more than one monitor. I can do any combination of cables from the matrox box , I can swap the screens in the matrox software and they come on individually but wont come on together and the screens are detected within the matrox software but nadda.

My only hope is that I was trying to get it working with 2 not 3 monitors until i get hold of an identical 3rd monitor and I read this morning elsewhere someone say you have to use output 1 and 3 rather than 1 and 2 , And I cant remember if I tried that. Ive put a support ticket into Matrox as well but who knows if they will even respond since its private and not commercial.

Had a response from Matrox , telling me that the triplehead2go doesn't support HDMI ?..... Seems bit of an excuse tbh as HDMI and DVI are pretty much the same signal so why wouldn't it ? connected via HDMI to DVI cable so the matrox box only sees a DVI input and it works with each screen individually if "swap displays" is selected, looks like I might have to try and return the matrox equipement.

Just curious: are you using both monitors and TV's? Or are they all monitors? And are all the monitors all different models/size/res? The question is related to the 'HDMI -vs- DVI' 'glitch' when it comes to mixing both monitor's and tv's from 1 video output jack from your laptop. OR, different model/size/res monitors. Seems almost impossible to do if using 'rag tag' collection of equiptment. But I wish you luck. Really!

Chuck B

Napamule

Just curious: are you using both monitors and TV's? Or are they all monitors? And are all the monitors all different models/size/res? The question is related to the 'HDMI -vs- DVI' 'glitch' when it comes to mixing both monitor's and tv's from 1 video output jack from your laptop. OR, different model/size/res monitors. Seems almost impossible to do if using 'rag tag' collection of equiptment. But I wish you luck. Really!

Chuck B

Napamule

The 3 monitors I'm trying to use with the Matrox are all identical size, resolution and refresh rate, Two are the exact same brand/model the third same brand different model with same specs. It wont even work with even just the two identical ones.

Matrox have just not replied anymore now so feel really let down by them

Gave up on the Matrox but managed a setup im happy enough with to use :

Thunderbolt - 2 HDMI out > 2x27" VC view linked with below as these 3 are recognised direct from the graphics card.

HDMI out > 1 x 27" Linked with Nvidia surround with above

USB-VGA > 1 x 24" Misc to the side ( atc , gps ect )

USB-VGA > 1 " 20" Overhead panel

Laptop screen > couple main cockpit instrument views

I could still add 1 more USB Vga adapter but there isn't really any use for it just yet as I cant link them with surround , the above combined with the logiteck switch panels works for now , Id have liked to fit the monitors below the vc 27"'s but it would put them too high so making do with the laptop screen for now.