Flight Sim FSX vs AS16

Gipper

Did you just say you have steam edition installed? That is the same as fsx acceleration. Acceleration contains the same as SP1 and SP2 plus a bit extra.

So for fsx steam edition you are not supposed to install sp1 and 2.

For fsx deluxe, yes, for that sp1 and 2 add some improvements.

Not so however for steam.

Make clear

what version (versions) of fsx you have,

which version (versions) are not activated properly,

and what you are trying to use ActiveSky with.

It is possible to use both editions of fsx on one computer at the same time, but not advisable as using both complicates things quite a bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you just say you have steam edition installed? That is the same as fsx acceleration. Acceleration contains the same as SP1 and SP2 plus a bit extra.

So for fsx steam edition you are not supposed to install sp1 and 2.

For fsx deluxe, yes, for that sp1 and 2 add some improvements.

Not so however for steam.

Make clear

what version (versions) of fsx you have,

which version (versions) are not activated properly,

and what you are trying to use ActiveSky with.

It is possible to use both editions of fsx on one computer at the same time, but not advisable as using both complicates things quite a bit.

I have the following version:

FSX Delux Edition

Two-disk Program

I don't have any other versions that I am aware of.

The "trial version for FSX Steam" just appeared.

I am trying to use FSX Delux Edition with ActiveSky AS16

When I installed AS16, it worked OK

FSX was working OK

But they did not work together.

I uninstalled AS16, then things started going wrong.

I installed your SP-1 and SP-2. I think that was OK.

But error messages 1-80004005 showed up. Now it shows up when I click on FSX incon and gives me

a 30 minute trial flight using FSX Steam. Then tells me I need to activate the program which I do not have. I've been running FSX Delux since December 2016 without any problems. Started running out of memory recently. Decided to reinstall FSX Delux "over" my already installed program to solve the OOM problem. I solved that by adjusting FSX settings. Reduces Graphics and Scenery from 100% to 80% and that gave me back the memory. I do not know anything else to do.

I have the following version:

FSX Delux Edition

Two-disk Program

I don't have any other versions that I am aware of.

The "trial version for FSX Steam" just appeared.

Things don't just appear.

You probably installed it at some point. (or maybe a shop did?)

Btw, what is it that tells you you have Steam Edition?

I am trying to use FSX Delux Edition with ActiveSky AS16

When I installed AS16, it worked OK

FSX was working OK

But they did not work together.

Yes, because you had FSX Deluxe only at that point.

But error messages 1-80004005 showed up. Now it shows up when I click on FSX incon and gives me

a 30 minute trial flight using FSX Steam. Then tells me I need to activate the program which I do not have.

It seems you DO have fsx steam edition.

Why? Well, you must have installed it at some point.

Without a code that wont get activated. SO uninstall FSX Steam Edition Trial again.

I've been running FSX Delux since December 2016 without any problems. Started running out of memory recently.

OOM errors are not a sign of an error in the fsx software. It just means you need to lower your settings.

Decided to reinstall FSX Delux "over" my already installed program to solve the OOM problem.

?????

Install it " "over" my already installed program"????

What's that supposed to mean.

What ever it means. A uninstall reinstall is just that. Uninstalling--reinstalling. By:

Uninstall all payware addons from Control panel and in other ways if needed.

Uninstall fsx from Windows Control Panel, reboot the pc.

Uninstall fsx from Windows Control Panel again a second time, and also rebooting the pc again.

And only then reinstall.

I've been running FSX Delux since December 2016 without any problems. Started running out of memory recently.
Again, it's not a problem with FSX. Reinstall won't help. OOM errors are just an fsx limitation that you run in to if you run too detailed scenery and aircraft. The OOM limit can be avoided by reducing your settings.

Something I don't understand is:

I solved that by adjusting FSX settings. Reduces Graphics and Scenery from 100% to 80% and that gave me back the memory. I do not know anything else to do.

You say you solved it. So what's the problem I'd think. But maybe what you describe here is the situation before you tried to install active sky and also before you "installed over the old install"

----------

If you have steam edition installed. Uninstall it.

I still don't know if fsx deluxe edition is currently installed, and if so, if it is activated.

(You only said you have a trial version of steam edition.)

Maybe you aren't sure either?

Try to make that current situation clear.

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Things don't just appear.

You probably installed it at some point. (or maybe a shop did?)

Btw, what is it that tells you you have Steam Edition?

Yes, because you had FSX Deluxe only at that point.

It seems you DO have fsx steam edition.

Why? Well, you must have installed it at some point.

Without a code that wont get activated. SO uninstall FSX Steam Edition Trial again.

OOM errors are not a sign of an error in the fsx software. It just means you need to lower your settings.

?????

Install it " "over" my already installed program"????

What's that supposed to mean.

What ever it means. A uninstall reinstall is just that. Uninstalling--reinstalling. By:

Uninstall all payware addons from Control panel and in other ways if needed.

Uninstall fsx from Windows Control Panel, reboot the pc.

Uninstall fsx from Windows Control Panel again a second time, and also rebooting the pc again.

And only then reinstall.

Again, it's not a problem with FSX. Reinstall won't help. OOM errors are just an fsx limitation that you run in to if you run too detailed scenery and aircraft. The OOM limit can be avoided by reducing your settings.

Something I don't understand is:

You say you solved it. So what's the problem I'd think. But maybe what you describe here is the situation before you tried to install active sky and also before you "installed over the old install"

----------

If you have steam edition installed. Uninstall it.

I still don't know if fsx deluxe edition is currently installed, and if so, if it is activated.

(You only said you have a trial version of steam edition.)

Maybe you aren't sure either?

Try to make that current situation clear.

I do not have FSX Steam Edition installed on my PC. I remembered this morning that I do have MSflight simulator 98 (FS98) installed but haven't touch it since installing FSX Delux. Now back to the problem. I'm going to try to post some scrn shots of what happens.

First - I click on normal FSX incon bottom of screen. That generates the normal picture but with ERROR MESSAGE 1-80004005. I click on YES and it goes to the screen showing FSX Steam Edition. see pic. Click out of that and it goes to opening screen where I click "Load" and pick previous flight.

I will fly that plane for 30 to 35 minutes, and it will STOP. Gives me the message, "Time Limit Expired." Activate program......Click "Yes" and the program ends. So. heres the pics, if I'm lucky.

pic. 1 - opening screen and 1-80004005 error code

pic. 2 - shows Program title as FSX Steam Edition

pic. 3 - shows message "Sure You Want to Exit" Yes/No. pick Yes, and it stops.

UNABLE TO LOAD PICS. - must resize then submit. Will do in a little while. Sorry...

Edited by Gipper

Are you confused or am I...?

In the last post you first say: "I don't have Steam Edition"

then you say: "When I start FSX ... it goes to the screen showing FSX Steam Edition"

The last bit tells me that FSX Steam Edition is installed on your PC...

yes?

no??

I'll wait for the Images, that may make things clearer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Confusion reins heavily in this thread.

The second picture does not show Steam Edition, it is simply the screen that is now shown on the FSX "Home" tab. This Home tab used to display the FSInsider web page, but now it shows FSX Steam Edition "FSXInsider.com" (an FSX SteamEdition resource page).

Because Steam have assumed the right to all FSX web interaction, FSInsider web page no longer exists. Should you be concerned NO! there is very little reason to use the Home tab unless you have a need for an actual Steam Version FSX installation and any content that pertains to FSX:Steam Edition.

I would suggest that you still have the wrong entry in your Windows Registry for FSX Deluxe 2Disk DVD, indicated by the error code 1-80004005 but this should only occur wwhere Acceleration Pack is installed (a Payware product sold as separate Disk, or included in the Gold 3Disk DVD) but not occur with 2Disk FSX Deluxe where SP1 & 2 are installed.

The thing that continues to baffle me about your situation is that you insist that you don't have "FSX Gold Deluxe" -3Disk version - (where the third disk is "Acceleration Pack"). SP1 & 2 Free Service Packs should not generate the 1-80004005 error, but I would still check the registry key (stranger things can happen).

The Second screenshot shows that you indeed do not have AccelerationPack, just FSX Standard with SP's. If you had AccPack it would show this in the graphic (top left) "Microsoft Flight Simulator X Acceleration" your screenie shows "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" only. The other thing that would show which FSX was installed MS or SE is the opening Splash screen which comes up immediately after clicking the desktop FSX icon, FSX:SE has a different splash screen than boxed version FSX.

Can you please open the registry and take a screenie of the Key dialog for the "UpperFilters" value so we can see what you have.

Edited by jethrom

Gipper,

Can you also after starting your sim click the "Free Flight" tab the one directly below the "Home" tab then restart your sim, it should open on the Free Flight tab from then on. This by no means solves the 30 min Demo activation error 1-80004005 but will allow us to determine a few other aspects of your setup. One thing you will not see until you activation problem is solved is the missing "MultiPlayer" tab, the space between "Missions" and "Pilot Records" tabs. Once you have resolved activation from the registry you will see the "MultiPlayer" Tab.

Can you also confirm that you activated FSX standard using the online activation and ran FSX at least once by taking the default Friday Harbor Trike flight from the Free Flight screen, before installing any Service packs (SP1 SP2).

Edited by jethrom
Tabs order

Sorry, I thought I had logged out. Needed to get away for a while. Now back.

Jethrom, I don't know how to get to the "registry key" you ask for. Why don't we just figure this out to start with. What is it? Where is it? why do you need it? etc.

Hello Gipper,

Please re-read post #20 & #22, all info is in there about opening regedit and finding the registry Key.

All I'm asking for at this stage of troubleshooting is a prtscn (Printscreen) picture of your UpperFilters dialog box for a specific Key in the registry. I'm not asking for any edits to be made if you have never used the registry before or are not comfortable making such edits.

If we can see what the current Value is for the UpperFilters then we can advise further, hopefully making some headway with your issue.

The directory-tree path to the Key within the Registry Editor.

Computer

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

\SYSTEM

\CurrentControlSet

\Control

\Class

\{4DE36967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Registry-Path.jpg

Sorry for the trouble, but I don't have a Windows "start" key. But I figured out to click on lower Windows Flag, I can pan down and find a list of Windows Options. I choose "run" as you mentioned, not having any idea what it would do. It worked. I finally was able to figure out how to find what you wanted to look at and attached it herewith. I does say "PartMgr".

RegistryKey-02.jpg

Sorry Gipper, your image is too small to read. (461x260 - 56kb) I can't make out any text in the picture.

Please use 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 .jpeg or .gif a few hundred Kilobytes, much bigger and clearer to read.

Use an upload host such as Imgur, Postimage.com or similar, then copy the link to your picture from the host, paste it into your post using the "Picture Frame" Icon (Insert Image) in the Reply posting banner tools. I use the "From URL" option to paste a "Direct Link" from the host, which looks similar to this https://i.postimg.cc/RZ1Q55pm/2018-4-13-18-28-7-808.jpg your picture will then be viewable from the post and the host site at full size. Forum tools will initially put a thumbnail & then the picture will be resized but still viewable in larger resolution from the host.

Sorry, try the new attachment. The forum only allows a size of 1600 x 1200 pix.

I'm going to keep doing it the way I've been doing it until I have some time to fool-around with the way you suggest. Thanks.

RegistryKey-03.jpg

Hello Gipper,

Remember how I wrote back in post #20 that the word PartMgr is mixed-case. (spelling critical)

Now here's the point I making, you need to help your self - to Help yourself, asking and answering questions is how forum based troubleshooting is done, information and readable images can often lead to a quicker resolution. Your willingness to participate in the free advice process is paramount.

As you can clearly see in a updated picture and further posting, that you do not have the proper nomenclature for "PartMgr" (mixed case) but instead have partmgr (all in lowercase), since the capitalised "P" & "M" are not present the registry key for this entry and FSX Activation will not function, if you do not fix this key so that the P & M are caps then you will in an indefinite 30 minute demo loop. Also all other addons that require Acceleration (activated) will either fail to install properly or not function as expected.

I can't be clearer than that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]210364[/ATTACH]

So to fix the entry partmgr in that dialog to PartMgr, simply change the p to P and m to M click OK to close

Please examine your amended picture with notes included. (Click the picture for larger size, then click the larger picture for larger still.)

Edited by jethrom

Jethrom, I do appreciate your time on this problem I have, but its not working. I changed the uppercase letters as you pointed out. I clicked OK, and restarted the computer. It asked me for an activation key which I don't have. I closed, and now I've been notified the following: FSX.CFG could not run and could not write FSX.CFG. and another notice, "Dem4km.bgl" is missing or damaged. Reinstall Flight Simulator to Restore or Repair the file. I did and now FSX will not start at all. I give up. Gipper

Ok one last throw of the dice, I don't know why you were getting the 30 minute Demo trial without having installed Acceleration Pack (Payware DVD disk with valid activation Key) and failing to get the Activation panel. (Its usually related to Win10)

Instead an activation error 1-80004005 because the registry key "PartMgr" was not correct in your registry.

This registry fix has worked for many FSX boxed version users who have installed FSX into Windows10.

This situation should not happen with any installation of SP1 & SP2 (freeware), where the user does not have a FSX Acceleration Pack DVD but instead must use SP1/SP2 in place of Acceleration Pack.

(AccPack & SP1/SP2 should never be used in combination with each other) its an either/or situation, (AccPack will install its own version for SP1 from the DVD disk and AccPack from the DVD disk is a much better feature/improved SP2.

Do you have Acceleration Pack DVD installation disk (Payware), or did you install just (Freeware) SP1/SP2 to your FSX 2 Disk DVD installation.

Looking at the situation now before you, (new error messages) unable to write FSX.cfg dem4km.bgl missing or damaged.

I would not have reinstalled simply because the message told me to (making matters more complicated) Reinstallation or repair of FSX per ServicePack SP2 or Acceleration Pack version requires the prior Version to be properly uninstalled before undertaking repair/reinstall. (I now don't know what you have installed).

Perhaps we can get an update of what FSX version level you have installed by looking in the Add/remove programs list. Find FSX on the list (take a PrtScn picture - upload) Now go to your FSX root folder Scenery\Base\Scenery find or search dem4km.bgl to confirm its existence and its size in kb.

By reinstalling you have made your situation more complicated, this perhaps has overwritten your original FSX.cfg where new entries/values are yet to be written to the config (until FSX can successfully restart) or you have an Administrator Permissions issue preventing read/writes to FSX config files (you must apply "Full Admin Permissions" to your FSX installation Folders & Files. I would advise also that you Apply the same Admin permissions to your C:\Users\youruser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder) so that configs can be read and written.

You can perform this by right clicking on the folder in WindowsExplorer then selecting - Properties > "General" Tab > uncheck the Attributes: (Read-Only) - then the "Apply" button - click the option - "apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files" - let the tool run the attrib changes by clicking the OK button. When finished click the OK button to close the Properties Dialog box.

Next, navigate to C:\Users\youruser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX locate the "fsx.CFG" is it present, open it using notepad, scroll down to [startup] section, please indicate what value is in Demo= it should be a 0 like this Demo=0 likewise STARTUP_DEMO= should have no value at all like this STARTUP_DEMO=

Sounds complicated, but necessary!

Otherwise I would advise complete Uninstall of FSX through the Windows Control Panel - "Uninstall a program" for every part of FSX until it is completely removed then restart your PC to begin Reinstalling Properly from scratch. (Do not install FSX into the default folder location, but choose / name a folder or independent Drive outside the OS protected folders C:\Program Files (x86) & C:\Program Files).

You give up, I give up.

I agree with jethrom! If you are going to uninstall FSX, let's do it the right way.

1. Using the Add/Remove programs, uninstall SP2

2. Now SP1 is visible..uninstall and follow directions. It will tell you at one point to insert Disc one.

3. Uninstall FSX

At this point I would do a disk cleanup and a defrag of the HDD. Good Luck!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Mr. Zippy. Thanks. A question for you. When I used your links to download SP1 and SP2, afterwards, I found the location of SP2 in the MSFSX folder under subfolder "Setup". Two folders under this. One, titled "DX" and the other, "SP2Cache". Would the SP2Cache have any bearing on the problems I face?

Mr. Zippy. Thanks. A question for you. When I used your links to download SP1 and SP2, afterwards, I found the location of SP2 in the MSFSX folder under subfolder "Setup". Two folders under this. One, titled "DX" and the other, "SP2Cache". Would the SP2Cache have any bearing on the problems I face?

Doubtful since I am running the same as you. FSX with SP1 and SP2.

setup.JPG

That's good news. I've never seen a folder name ending in "Cache" before. I'm going to sit on it a couple days, then will probably try to uninstall FSX and start all over. In the meantime I hope you and Jethrom have a nice Fourth of July. Back later. Gipper

Hi Gipper,

Thanks for the well wishes, 4th July and all, but as an Aussie, American Independence is not a holiday for us, but you guys have a great time all the same.

As for those 2 Directories DX & SP2Cache that is normal DX is DirectX9 Setup & runtime .cab's and SP2Cache, is well, SP2 Installation Cache.

If you had installed AccelerationPack, it would be DX & XPackCache

All the best, Jethro.

Hi Gipper,

Thanks for the well wishes, 4th July and all, but as an Aussie, American Independence is not a holiday for us, but you guys have a great time all the same.

Well, you could, at least, throw another shrimp on the barbie! ;)

index.jpeg

Edited by mrzippy