Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Article: Phil Spencer On The New Microsoft Flight Simulator

Quote Originally Posted by Nels_Anderson View Post
    Something that's a like more "gamey" and less serious isn't necessarily a bad thing. One area where we are hurting now is in bringing in new people to the flightsim community. Having a sim that was at more of an entry level and thus more accessible to people with no previous experience could be really useful. Having Microsoft get behind it and actively promoting it could be the best thing that happened to flightsimming in a long time.
    Nels I actually agree with you and zswobbie1, perhaps a more gamey flight sim is just what we need. My big concern at the time with Dovetail's Flight Sim World was that it would further fragment the flight sim market and ultimately lead to dilution of offers from developers. When there are too many players in the same niche market, developers have to start choosing which one to support (like what is happening now with P3D4 and the abandonment of FSX and P3D3) as they cannot offer everything to every platform.

I can't remember the names of the "games", but I have fond memories of playing story-based "flight-sims", about mercenaries flying fighter jets in third world countries and the "secret weapons of the luftwaffe" etc. They were not technically the most accurate, nor did they even try to compete with FS9 or FSX, but they were highly enjoyable. Despite being a real world pilot and a sucker for realism, I never cared about the accuracy when playing those "games". If that is what Microsoft has in mind for us, I may very well buy a copy and if my son (who has no interest in my realistic flight sims) can join in the fun, that will be a massive bonus.
    i7-4790K @ 4.6 GHz, ASUS Maximus VII Gene, GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 2400MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Rift, Windows 7 64-bit

Just a personal point of view, from an older simmer.....LOL

Given my current like (work, ongoing study, children) and a kid who is overseas, I get very little time to sim, or even to fly real aircraft. I am not disrespecting anybody with this statement, but I wonder how some silicon pilots get sufficient spare time in their lives to fly from say, Australia to England.

A few years back, my average flight would go for five hours. Now, that's down to perhaps two. My views may be a little selfish based around my own background, but I think the ideal path for M$ to follow would be with light and regional aircraft, with good lessons, clear VFR scenery, and a lot of varied adventures. Again, only in my opinion, the younger generation does not seem to have the attention span that my generation had. I think a part of this is because of STEAM, online documentation, etc. I used to love reading through the aircraft manuals that we used to get.

In the video, the flight in the jungle / past the wildlife makes me optimistic. As long as proper flight physics is implemented, and those graphics are genuine, then I think they should be on to a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by tja View Post
    A few years back, my average flight would go for five hours. Now, that's down to perhaps two. My views may be a little selfish based around my own background, but I think the ideal path for M$ to follow would be with light and regional aircraft, with good lessons, clear VFR scenery, and a lot of varied adventures. Again, only in my opinion, the younger generation does not seem to have the attention span that my generation had. I think a part of this is because of STEAM, online documentation, etc. I used to love reading through the aircraft manuals that we used to get.
    After reading more comments, it really seems like many in the flight sim community see gamers as the stereotypical teenage boy with a 5 minute attention span. Sure, some do have a short attention span, but plenty don't. And the average age of Xbox users is well over 30 with many spending years in RPG and open world games building relationships with other players along the way, much like the flight sim community. In some games, like Eve Online, players can average 17 hours per week, and put together guilds (think virtual airlines), alliances and plans that span years. This isn't something that people with short attention spans do.

Having a new sim that may draw in new blood should be a good thing that this community looks forward to. If the new sim doesn't meet the needs of the more dedicated sim pilots, they will still have X-Plane, P3D, FSX and FS2004.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaid View Post
    I hope it's not another joke like the Microsoft Flight which was released in 2012.
    They seem to have heard us, from here or elsewhere. This is from their Insider Sign Up Site:

On behalf of the entire Microsoft Flight Simulator team, we humbly and deeply express our gratitude for such an overwhelmingly positive response to our announce trailer! We recognize that without people like you, we don’t get to make experiences like this that span more than 35 years and maintain such a passionate following. Thank you for being patient enough to weather the turbulence caused by some of our previous missteps. Thank you for being willing to look to the possibilities of the future while asking us to be accountable for the past. We hear you, we value you, we want to make the next generation of Microsoft Flight Simulator for you, with you.

While this is not the moment to answer every question being asked, we do want to take the opportunity to answer a few important ones:

We are making Microsoft Flight Simulator. Emphasis on the word SIMULATOR.

Designed for PC, optimized for multiplatform support (e.g. Xbox).

Yes. We are supporting 3rd Party Content Development and Community Content creation. We are aware of the concerns in the current eco-system and are working to address them.

Yes. We genuinely want to work closely with the community in the development of this title.

Accessibility is important to us. Whatever your abilities are, if you want to fly, we are going to do whatever we can to make that happen. Yoke and pedals, mouse and keyboard, controller, etc. No pilot should be left behind.

Over the next few months, we will be communicating our plans for the rest of the year, including important updates to the Preview Build/Insider Programs, and important development beats. Maintaining a collaborative relationship with the community starts with transparency and clearly communicated expectations. Early August is our current timeline for kicking off the communication of the development roadmap. We will continue to add clarity to this timeline throughout the summer. If you’d like the latest updates, please make sure to sign up for the Insider Program.

This is just the first step in an adventure we are honored and excited to be taking with all of you. The reaction we received from our recent trailer was an incredible reminder that we are not alone in this passion we have for Microsoft Flight Simulator. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, honestly expressing your feedback and concerns, and for taking this next step with us.

https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/ins...ogram-sign-up/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3