GPU load is low while CPU is high

anyway i can give some of the cpu load to the gpu? i noticed that my cpu would keep over 50-90% and gpu only at like 10%, im sure if i could balance it a bit i would get higher frames. damn that lazy gpu. btw do you guys know any tweak that could help?

(btw the gpu is integrated)

Jorgen is right. FSX was developed before the GPU could aid a lot (Oct 2006), so it is very CPU intensive. Prepar3d makes much heavier use of the GPU while also adding volumetric clouds, shadows, and some other things (lighting and more) that are considerable improvements over FSX, yet (several years ago) when I switched from FSX to P3D V2, in spite of running the sliders higher, thus getting better graphics, I also got improved frame rates AND improved smoothness (the two don't always go hand in hand) on the same machine. Then I got a better graphics card and V2 improved even more. I don't have a similar comparison for the P3D V4, but it's much improved over the V2 that I started with.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Get a reasonable dedicated GPU. Something a bit better then that onboard one and with active cooling. (with it's own fan.).

That will give a lot better looking graphics, and with the graphics looking better you can reduce the graphics settings in FSX a bit while still having a just as enjoyable game.

Having the graphics settings in fsx lower means of course less load on the cpu. (and higher fps)

Make sure to get an NVidia GPU. With that you can use the program nvidiaInspector to set our gPU settings.

If allows setting GPU settings that are perfect for fsx.

Especially nice is how you can set Filtering and Anti Aliassing in it.

With that set in nvidiainpector you can in the fsx settings--graphics menu choose "trilinear filtering" instead of "anisotropic filtering" and you will still have a smooth image. The switch from "trilinear filtering" to "anisotropic filtering" will give a very nice boost in fps.

Using the onboard gpu is a very bad idea. That gpu is part of the processor chip. The cpu performs better when less hot. And when a modern cpu heats up too much or too rapidly it starts reducing power in order to not get too hot.

Adding unnecessary heat to the cpu, by using the onboard graphics in the chip as well is a bad idea.

Instead use a discrete Graphics card that has it's own cooling fan.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Make sure to get an NVidia GPU. With that you can use the program nvidiaInspector to set our gPU settings.

If allows setting GPU settings that are perfect for fsx.

Especially nice is how you can set Filtering and Anti Aliassing in it.

With that set in nvidiainpector you can in the fsx settings--graphics menu choose "trilinear filtering" instead of "anisotropic filtering" and you will still have a smooth image. The switch from "trilinear filtering" to "anisotropic filtering" will give a very nice boost in fps.

You can do literally all that with AMD radeon software too.

The AMD vs. nVidia GPU, and the AMD vs. Intel CPU issues have been debated at length elsewhere. I would suggest we keep that debate out of this thread.

From his initial post, I could assume the OP has a laptop, in which case he is locked in as to which CPU and GPU he can use, in other words he has to make do with what he's got.

If he has a desktop, however, then he can get a separate GPU, but there's no need to go overboard and spend a lot of money on that, unless the desktop has a reasonably powerful CPU.

It would be nice to know what the OP's exact hardware specs are.

Jorgen

FS is a CPU oriented game, not GPU oriented. No matter what you do GPU wise, your CPU will be the engine that drives the Sim.

As mentioned, Lockheed Martin's Prepar3d has code that takes advantage of the GPU more than FS2004 and FSX.