Mooney Bravo Giving Me Hell...

Minas Man

Good Evening, All. Hope your day is going better than mine. I've been "flying" FSX and FS2004 for years now. Not too much trouble. I switched over to Prepar3d a few weeks ago and I've had nothing but trouble. :confused:

The problem is that the default Mooney Bravo (which I've never flown before), keeps heading to the left on me after take-off. No matter what I do, I can't stabilize the plane in one (1) direction. Doesn't matter if the winds are calm or breezy. The plane won't stay where I point it. As soon as I get the wings level, the plane starts turning left (sometimes right). Never straight (or level either). Am I missing something here???:confused:

Any help would be appreciated...Thanks, in advance...

Reginald :(

In FSX or FS2004 it probably depended on how you have you settings in regard to torque. I would be looking through your P3D settings for any kind of torque on the aircraft.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I'd check for a fuel imbalance, that is, insure before takeoff that both tanks have the same amount of fuel. If I recall correctly, the Mooney lets you select right or left tank, but not both, so you may need to run on one tank for a while (25-30 minutes, maybe) then switch to the other for the same amount of time. Many real aircraft work exactly that way, not just Mooneys.

settings in regard to torque

Since his problems are after takeoff, rather than during, I'd not expect torque/P-effect to be the cause of his problem.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

If able, add a little right rudder on takeoff to counter the torque.

Bob,

If his problem is AFTER takeoff, that won't help. Would be nice to see the OP comment here again...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Thanks, guys for all the help. :)

Mr. Zippy...Thanks! But I might have to agree with Inuss...My problem begins after take-off.

Inuss...Thanks! I DID consider a fuel imbalance. So I started again with both tanks full. Same results...

Johnost...Thanks! "Trim, Trim, Trim" may be the ticket. The Mooney DOES have aileron trim. I'll do that the next time I crash...I mean fly.:rolleyes:

Boy, FSX and FS2004 really did spoil me. I never had to worry about aileron trim before. Now, I may REALLY have to learn how to fly...;) Thanks, again...

I got curious and checked the Mooney in both FSX and P3Dv4. It looks like the same, identical airplane, and Its behavior was similar in the two sims. I get some tendency to left turn when climbing out from propeller torque, but nothing like you describe. Please try the following: Before takeoff: program the autopilot for the runway heading and the altitude to say 1500 ft. Take off and - when airborne - immediately activate the AP. The plane should now climb straight on the runway heading, which means that the AP has trimmed for the correct heading. When you are straight and level at the chosen altitude, set the normal cruise speed and turn off the Heading on the AP. The plane should be trimmed to maintain a straight flight.

If this does not happen, something is wrong in the program, the computer, or the controls. Please try it and let us know what happens.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

Calibrate your joystick. It may be imputing left aileron with stick centered. Aileron input won't make much difference when taxiing, but will be noticed as soon as you lift off. Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey, to all who are interested in this tread. I'll be flying (trying) tomorrow (Monday). I will try all of your suggestions (Especially Johnost with "Trim...Trim...Trim... and auto pilot advice). I'll let you know if it works...Thanks, again...

Update: Well, first off It seems like I gave you guy slightly wrong info. Mooney has rudder trim, not aileron trim. And, of course elevator trim. OKbob was right. I had to set the rudder trim to the right before I took off. And give it slight rudder trim when the wheel left the ground. Also, I flew the runway heading via the auto-pilot as suggest. That worked fine...but...I'd set the auto-pilot for 3,000 feet before take-off. The strangest thing...:confused:...When we hit 3,000 feet...the aircraft kept climbing...:eek:...Oh well...I think I'll just fly the !!@### thing manually for now. Thanks for all the help...

Glad to hear you got it sorted out!

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor