Laptop, FS9, I want a better monitor

Hello everyone. I'd like to "upgrade my monitor" to my laptop, i.e., get an external monitor and connect it to my laptop, as single display. These are my current specs:

ASUS Vivobook X556UQ laptop

Intel i5 7200U @ 2.7 GHz (TurboBoost disabled for stability)

6 GB DDR3 RAM

Nvidia GT940MX

1 TB HDD

256 GB SSD (with Windows, FS2004 and other programs there)

Windows 10 Home

15" LED display, 1366 x 768

Right now I'm able to keep 30 FPS and to use the 1/2 refresh rate in FS9. I'm sick and tired of this low resolution, and I want something better. I was thinking of a 1920x1080 (24" or a bit higher), but then I saw the 2K monitors (2560x1440). However, I saw some comments in forums where people reported that their GPUs were not powerful enough for the resolution. These comments were for 4K monitors, but driven by 1060-1070 desktop GPUs, and with FSX).

Has anyone tried using FS9 in a 2K or 4K monitor with FS9, using a GPU similar to mine? What are your opinions?

Best regards,

Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Thanks, Robin, but I think you didn't get it: my idea is to buy a new monitor and use that instead of my laptop's display. After that, I'll set FS9's resolution to the native one of the monitor I'm buying.

What I don't know is if my GPU is powerful enough for a 2560x1440 monitor, or if I should settle with a 1920x1080 one.

Best regards,

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I did my own tests using my 32" TV. Its native resolution is the same as my laptop (just 1366x768), but I can force it to run at 1920x1080. I know I won't be having the clarity I expect, but at least I can simulate the load on my GPU.

I had to reduce AA, from 8xSQ to just 8xS. The 940MX is too weak to handle all that AA at that resolution (with add-on airports, real WX, and the iFly 747v2). I don't want to think how much will my GPU suffer with an even higher resolution.

Conclusion: In my case, a 2K monitor will be a waste of money until I upgrade to something with a better GPU.

Best regards,