Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New MS Flight Sim 2020

I started with FS98 20+ years ago, and I am speaking with folks behind the scenes and DF team members. We are paying VERY close attention to this. If MSFS comes back, we're coming back, and with all new aircraft too. Clean slate. Of course, I might make an exception for a re-do of Nels' Archer!

We shall see, but, and at age 60, I've still got the stamina for another version or two, or four!
    Regards,
    Lou Betti

I don’t rate the Aces team, many of which were snapped up by Lockheed Martin to work on P3D. The FSX experience is not a patch on FS9 although FSX is a lot more detailed and vivid the Land Class is rubbish. I get FSX users reverting back to FS9 quite regularly. One just needs to look at the default P3D v4 scenery to see what a bungling mess it is, maybe new blood is a good thing. I think Microsofts new rendition will run on win10 which has a lot of Xbox it, but can’t comment on it further as I have never had anything to do with Xbox. FS9 still remains the most comforting sim in my mind FSX Steam default with all the updates looks pretty good now
    Howard
    Web : http://biggles11.wix.com/the-natural-world
    Mail : [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggles1 View Post
    I don’t rate the Aces team, many of which were snapped up by Lockheed Martin to work on P3D. The FSX experience is not a patch on FS9 although FSX is a lot more detailed and vivid the Land Class is rubbish. I get FSX users reverting back to FS9 quite regularly. One just needs to look at the default P3D v4 scenery to see what a bungling mess it is, maybe new blood is a good thing. I think Microsofts new rendition will run on win10 which has a lot of Xbox it, but can’t comment on it further as I have never had anything to do with Xbox. FS9 still remains the most comforting sim in my mind FSX Steam default with all the updates looks pretty good now
    Howard
    Web : http://biggles11.wix.com/the-natural-world
    Mail : [email protected]

As to what the future holds, I have no clue, but I do agree with you about FS9. As for me: I upgraded PCs each time a new version came out. Dell was always my choice. I didn't have time to waste to build anything custom.

As to the Aces team; all great folks. My first contact at MS was with Hal Bryan, back in the FS2000 days. He's now with EAA! I pray that they offer the same support to 3rd party developers again- don't let us down. I hope to have to check on flights from FLL or MIA to to SEA, now that I'm living in Florida.
    Regards,
    Lou Betti

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggles1 View Post
    The FSX experience is not a patch on FS9 although FSX is a lot more detailed and vivid the Land Class is rubbish. I get FSX users reverting back to FS9 quite regularly. One just needs to look at the default P3D v4 scenery to see what a bungling mess it is, maybe new blood is a good thing.
    I don't see a lot of point in rubbishing FSX and P3D on a FS9 forum - we are all here because we prefer FS9 for whatever reason suits us. I am sure each version has its good points and we are fortunate to have the choice.

As far as this new version is concerned, it is of some concern to me that it is being designed for X-box, even more so if it is both X-box and Win10 compatible (speculation at the moment?). If you look at forums discussing another simulator going through the same transition (Train Simulator/Trainsim World) you will see that a lot of eye candy (moving cars on roads etc) has been taken away because the X-box technology can't handle it. Therefore the Desktop PC version is forced to lack features present in the older version, giving it a cold, lifeless look. I can see this happening with the new Flight Simulator.

As for the idea that scenery and aircraft will be downloaded as and when needed during a flight (more speculation, I think), I just wish somebody would realise that we don't all have sooperdooper high speed internet connections. I have enough trouble with an on-line bank that won't do anything without texting me a code to use - a bit tricky on an area with no signal! Keeping ahead of the technology game is fine for developers in their wonderful workplaces, and impresses their sponsors, but . . .

John
    http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Sadly, UK health guidelines no longer require pilots to work from home where possible - I've been doing that for over twenty years!

Quite right Andy. So much has been said about a minute teaser movie, all talking about eye candy.
    I've seen nothing with regard to flight models at all.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by johnhinson View Post
    As far as this new version is concerned, it is of some concern to me that it is being designed for X-box, even more so if it is both X-box and Win10 compatible (speculation at the moment?). If you look at forums discussing another simulator going through the same transition (Train Simulator/Trainsim World) you will see that a lot of eye candy (moving cars on roads etc) has been taken away because the X-box technology can't handle it. Therefore the Desktop PC version is forced to lack features present in the older version, giving it a cold, lifeless look. I can see this happening with the new Flight Simulator.

John

Microsoft has said the new sim will be coming to Windows 10 first, and then the next generation Xbox. They have also indicated the new Xbox will be around 4 times faster than the current generation too. Also, many games do offer a better experience in the Windows version, such as higher scenery detail and textures. They don't all cut back the Windows side just to match the Xbox or PS version. Much of this is up to the developer and the resources they have available.

I love eye candy like everyone else here (esp. the photo real stuff offered in the recent MS videos). But I mostly fly the "tubes" at 37,000. So most of the detailed scenery is on take-off and landing, except for weather effects. However, I am excited about a probable PC sim by MS, but --- I will likely never purchase an X-BOX for flight simming...

Quote Originally Posted by DreamFleet1 View Post
    As to what the future holds, I have no clue, but I do agree with you about FS9. As for me: I upgraded PCs each time a new version came out. Dell was always my choice. I didn't have time to waste to build anything custom.

I don't think building a computer is a waste of time. I have always built mine. That way I put exactly the parts I want in it instead of a manufacturer putting what they want in a PC. I can also upgrade it when I want and not have to worry about proprietary parts that can not be upgraded. I use mine for FS9 as well as numerous other games on and off of Steam. I don't feel it's ever a waste of time to build a computer at all.
    Last edited by bam1220; 06-19-2019 at 12:20 PM.

I'm 62 and build my systems rather than buy from Dell, HP etc. I can get the hardware I want and none of the bloatware which comes with premade systems.

New member here, this is my first comment. I sure hope that they do come up with a new offering, and not just FSX with new cover art. I stopped using flight simulators in 2005, when I got my restored 1940 Taylorcraft. now that there are some AD's that need to be satisfied, and I might not have the money, I will just probably get one of my Ultralights into the sky, and use the Sim for late night flights, from the house to any airport in the world, with "Heavies".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12