No Engine/Prop Sounds

Art_P

I have been using 5.1 surround sound with FSX for many years, but my system started cutting out recently. I decided to ditch the surround sound and replace it with a less expensive 2.1 sound system. Since replacing the sound system, I get no engine/prop sounds when facing forward in the KingAir virtual cockpit. I hear the engines only when facing them. I thought it was hardware related until I tried other aircraft, with which there was no problem. With all the different aircraft I tried, only the C47 had the same problem.

Wondering why I didn't have this problem before changing sound systems, I hooked up the old 5.1 system. It then became apparent that the engines sounds for the KingAir were only coming from the rear speakers when facing forward in the VC. Now with the 2.1 system, I get no engine sounds when looking forward in the VC.

I've tried modifying the sound.cfg file for the KingAir by eliminating the cone entries, but it made no difference. The Baron and KingAir sound files have similar cone entries, but the Baron engine sounds are constant when facing different directions in the VC.

Any thoughts on what the problem is and how to fix it?

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

Make sure your sound card menu (probably VIA Audio if onboard audio on a GA- board) is set to two speakers only.

Also switch off audio effects in it. (disco/pop/classic and such.)

If you have some selection box for surround sound switch that off too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Changed sound output to 2.1 and all is okay. I was using a sound card separate from the one used for surround sound and didn't think to check it's settings. All this time and I never noticed that engine sounds were from the rear speakers. That must have really annoyed my wife who was sitting on the other side of the room where the speakers were.

Thanks for the replies.

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI