out of memory

Gipper

My MSFltsimX has gotten where I can fly a B737 for just over an hour's time and it gives me a message, "out of memory" and shuts down.

A long time ago, I could fly more than 3 hours without any problems. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem? Thanks. Harry

These messages usually refer to virtual memory - the swap file. If you are using windows defaults you have a dynamic swap file, windows resizes it continuously as it sees fit; if the drive/partition containing this is low on space or heavily fragmented windows will not be able to create a large enough swap file.

First try a complete defrag/consolidation of the drive. If there is less than about 15% free space on that drive you should remove unnecessary files/folders first (windows and browsers retain tons of garbage files that eventually clog the system; a program like CCleaner is good for removing these).

Swap file data is buried in Control Panel - System - Advanced System Settings - Performance - Settings - Advanced - Virtual Memory.

Before mucking about with the virtual memory settings, I would look at whether something has changed in the sim. Have you installed anything since you could fly those longer flights? Increased settings? More advanced add-ons, such as third party aircraft, terrain mesh and scenery will increase the demand for virtual address space. Note that this is not the same as the amount of physical RAM you have installed.

See the PMDG link below for more details and tips.

https://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a108/vas-management-stopping-out-of-memory-oom-errors.aspx

I did defrag the PC and that helped a little. I also deleted quite a few flt sim files from the Recycle Bin and that helped a little. Then I turned to the "help" button in flight sim X and it gave me a place called "out-of-memory". Well, I'm laughing out loud at myself because here it says, "Run Disk Cleanup", then says go to "Start Menu" then, Programs, then Accessories, then Syst. Tools, then "DISK Cleanup". What's funny is, I don't know if they are talking about pressing the "start Menu" of the PC or the Flt Sim Program. So, I haven't been that route yet. Whew, I'm out of breath. So far, I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I'm not real PC smart, so I'll have to go slow but I think I'll get there. Thanks to everyone. Gipper

Hi Gipper,

"Disk Cleanup" they are definitely talking about the "Windows Start button menu" All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup - Select Drive C: as the drive to cleanup - click OK > Calculating saved space Dialog - after calculating (this can take some time) - Next Dialog box - there are a number of checkboxes to select where you can recover useable Drive space - make your selections and click OK to run the cleanup.

Something may have been added recently to your sim as loki says above.

Another thought as you are now experiencing shorter flights (1hr) than previous ones (3hrs)

Have you installed any Large PhotoReal scenery lately, this type of scenery is loaded into the sim via the Scenery.cfg (Scenery Library) in its entirety, no matter wether you are flying over it or not. It does consume considerable VAS (Virtual Address Space) resulting in an eventual OOM (OutOfMemory error). 32bit FSX VAS memory in a 64bit OS allows 4Gb memory space, 3.8Gb if your lucky FSX will OOM when this space nears full useage, FSX does not like to relinquish loaded scenery very easily, this results in an accumulation as time passes throughout a flight, when you run out of VAS FSX will crash Out of Memory CTD (CrashToDesktop).

If you have extensive PhotoReal sceneries in your FSX Scenery Library and are not currently using them you could save VAS resources by unchecking them in the Scenery Library until you next need them.

One other thing to remember (or 'realize') is that you can't have a bunch of windows programs running in the background. Like: Internet, YouTube, Pandora, Weather Channel, Facebook, Craig's List, Google Maps all minimized and running in background. If so that is the case then you are not leaving any memory space for FSX to operate in. FSX should be the ONLY program running when you fly.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Your ideas and suggestions led me to the source of the problem. It's in the "settings" of the program. I found the settings to be set at "Ultra High" or 100%. Then I remembered I re-installed FSX a little while ago but never bothered to look at settings. The Scenery was set at 100% Ultra High; the Graphics was set at 100% Ultra High. I reset both to 80% or High and tried flying the planned route again. Done, and no glitches anywhere. Flight time 1.5 hours, gate-to-gate. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Funny, I still have the problem, can't activate "Real-World WX", says I'm not connected to internet. My computer is. I guess I'm not. Dahh! Any suggestions? Thanks again. Gipper

I subscribe to WSI aviation weather. Would this be the "third-party" utility, you mentioned? How does a third-party utility work with FSX? What existed a long time ago worked very well. I'm sorry to see it has gone away. I fly mostly instrument flights, so I do miss the challeges FSX offered when Real-World weather was available. Maybe I'm just going to have to forget it and create my own weather. That is not as challenging as natural weather senerios. Thanks jgf.

Active Sky and REX are payware products; FSRealWX is freeware. All are popular; they run in the background (start before you start the sim), access online weather data, and control the weather via the dlls just as the default program did; though they offer much more control and options.

I'm looking at the AS16 Active Sky program and wondering? If I solved the "out-of-memory" problem I had by reducing the complexity of the Graphics and Scenery settings to 80%, then wouldn't I be adding back the same problem I originally had if I add the Active Sky program?