Joystick Advice

simsjw

Greetings,

Looking for some suggestions for a new joystick! I've been simming for over 20 years & I'm pretty sure I've had the same joystick the entire time. It's a Microsoft Sidewinder 8 button rig. Has a Windows 98 platform. As joysticks go, it's pretty vanilla, but I love it. Unfortunately, father time is catching up to it. Throttle has become unreliable and steering sticks alot.

The only game I use it for is FSX. I don't do any dogfighting type stuff wherein I need to be firing missles or dropping bombs, etc...

Can someone recommend a simple joystick. Most joysticks out there appear very hi-tech with tons of bells & whistles that I will never use. Plus they all seem to cost $100's. I'm trying to stay under $100. I have Win10. My present Win98 platform joystick worked fine with Win10.

I saw a bunch of similar 8 button sidewinders on Amazon for approx. $30 - $50 price range. All are "used"! Just wondering if anyone has ever purchased a used item on Amazon? Is it worth the risk? I'm apprehensive about buying anything "used".

Thanks for any suggestions you can send my way.

Jim

I've had Microsoft Sidewinders for a couple decades but I also added a Thrustmaster 16000M a couple of years ago. Grip components allow for left or right handed use; slider for a throttle and 12 buttons on the base instead of the Sidewinder's 4. Very basic and reasonably Priced at $50-ish. Recommend.

I did buy a used Sidewinder but it only lasted a couple years before the wiring gave out like the previous one. A flying buddy sold me his no-longer-used MS force feedback Sidewinder that I'm using now in FSX/P3d. The T16000 is my left hand stick in Star Citizen - couldn't live without it!

Loyd

Edited by llivaudais

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Greetings,

Looking for some suggestions for a new joystick! I've been simming for over 20 years & I'm pretty sure I've had the same joystick the entire time. It's a Microsoft Sidewinder 8 button rig. Has a Windows 98 platform. As joysticks go, it's pretty vanilla, but I love it. Unfortunately, father time is catching up to it. Throttle has become unreliable and steering sticks alot.

The only game I use it for is FSX. I don't do any dogfighting type stuff wherein I need to be firing missles or dropping bombs, etc...

Can someone recommend a simple joystick. Most joysticks out there appear very hi-tech with tons of bells & whistles that I will never use. Plus they all seem to cost $100's. I'm trying to stay under $100. I have Win10. My present Win98 platform joystick worked fine with Win10.

I saw a bunch of similar 8 button sidewinders on Amazon for approx. $30 - $50 price range. All are "used"! Just wondering if anyone has ever purchased a used item on Amazon? Is it worth the risk? I'm apprehensive about buying anything "used".

Thanks for any suggestions you can send my way.

Jim

I use Logitech Extreme 3-D Pro. I've owned it for over 20 years & still works great. Has extra buttons on it just in case you want to program them in the future. I only have 4 programmed & I actually only use 2 so it's not over complicated. Cheap enough not to break the bank & good enough to last a real long time.

Screenshot_6.png

I use Logitech Extreme 3-D Pro. I've owned it for over 20 years & still works great. Has extra buttons on it just in case you want to program them in the future. I only have 4 programmed & I actually only use 2 so it's not over complicated. Cheap enough not to break the bank & good enough to last a real long time.[/quote

I have the same joystick and have used it for about 13 years...for the money is a good deal.

• 1 year later...
I’ve used the Logitech (Saitek) X52 Pro for a number of years now without any issue. It’s very configurable and the MFD is very useful for dialing in Com1 and Nav1 frequencies.

What's the difference, (if any), between the X52 and the Pro?