New Microsoft Flight Sim for 2020?

ScottishMike

Does any body know more about the slated sim?

see:

https://gearnuke.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-announced-for-2020-release-on-pc-and-xbox-one/

"Microsoft Flight Simulator should evoke some nostalgic feelings for long-time PC gamers and Microsoft is bringing it back with some cutting-edge visuals in a brand new game.

Microsoft dropped the announcement about a new Flight Simulator during their E3 2019 showcase. Watch the announcement trailer below to get a glimpse of this new game."

Any of you gals or guys in the know?

Max graphic settings is 4k ultra HD HDR confirmed, on the website is described as an complete flight simulator like FSX and oldest. I presume is an platform with updates and addons from Microsoft (i wish not only microsoft) because there is no date after the title like FS2004 or FSX so that will remaign with updates for years . No news for SDK.

Sorry for my bad english.

I'd like to think that they know that what has kept Flightsim alive all this time is the ability to expand it, hopefully they will keep that.

If I'm not mistaken, they sold the entire old product to Dovetail, so this will have to be a new sim from the ground up.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

If I'm not mistaken, they sold the entire old product to Dovetail, so this will have to be a new sim from the ground up.

They licensed ESP to LM and Flight Simulator/Flight to Dovetail, MS kept the underlying ownership of the sims. Looking back at the sudden cancellation of Flight Sim World a year ago, one wonders if something wasn't up already back then. Maybe Dovetail were finding it too much and MS took note of the current interest in flight sims?

Ah ok, that's what I had thought originally, then I heard they had actually sold it, which would be a shame considering how fast FSW died.

So they may be building a new version based on what they had before, which bodes well for expandability.

You know what's kind of funny? I hope they keep bgl files, just because they were a throwback to Bruce Artwick who first developed flightsim.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Microsoft Flight Simulator X was my passion as a kid, so I am super excited about the new update. One thing that I want to know if this version will have sloped runways? Judging by the runways shown at the 0:54 and 0:59 mark of the trailer, probably not. I don't understand why X-plane has always had sloped runways and FSX did not, and don't understand why there shouldn't be.

Not a game killer, just would add realism for me.

From what I've heard it will run on the Unreal game engine, which explains the gorgeous graphics. While it will work very well for people on the XBox using a TV, the Unreal engine poses several problems for hard-core simmers, namely:

1. TrackIR not supported - I'm currently playing a game called Assetto Corsa Competizione (ACC) and it doesn't support TrackIR. From developers' response to numerous requests it sounds like the game engine doesn't support TrackIR natively.
  2. Doesn't support multi-screen. Again, same complaint and response on ACC forums. So, you guys with triple screens are out of luck and I suspect even my ultrawide 21:9 monitor may pose a problem as it is designed for 16:9

I strongly suspect that we are going to be disappointed by this one. It is probably aimed at younger arcade players on Xbox with glitzy graphics being a priority and not at us serious old farts who worry more about the flight model and piston temperatures.

Edited by rooitou
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

Ok, so, after a bit of sleuthing, & registering on Xbox insider, the new sim will probably be available from Xbox Games Pass!

(https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/09/xbox-e3-2019-briefing-recap/)

Microsoft Flight Simulator (Xbox One And Windows 10 PC)

The next generation of our longest-running franchise, Microsoft Flight Simulator is coming to Windows 10 with Xbox Game Pass in 2020, and coming to Xbox One at a later date. Microsoft Flight Simulator is specifically designed to celebrate flight simulation fans through a focus on the authenticity of flying and visually stunning environments. By revamping our tech, working in close collaboration with the community and pursuing the best partnerships across the industry, we intend to deliver the best-in-class flight simulation experience.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/pc-games

with a monthly fee, apart from any cost of game.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Microsoft Flight Simulator X was my passion as a kid, so I am super excited about the new update. One thing that I want to know if this version will have sloped runways? Judging by the runways shown at the 0:54 and 0:59 mark of the trailer, probably not. I don't understand why X-plane has always had sloped runways and FSX did not, and don't understand why there shouldn't be.

Not a game killer, just would add realism for me.

It will have sloped runways. Watch the video at 55:16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZgtalap7Y

• 2 months later...

I cannot imagine MS would use UNREAL engine in their product. They wont have licenses and UNREAL is also very old.

I would be very surprised if MS bring this sim to life in anything else than a self owned engine.

I have a feeling MFS 2020 is going to be run along the same lines as Steam, but directly from Microsoft. In these days of big profit margins Microsoft already know there is a large flight SIM community out there who pay big money for add-ons in both software and hardware. Even looking at the cost of the DCS Hornet at $79 (which cost 3 times the price just for the aircraft, than it costs for FSX initially) this is looking likely.

Microsoft as a company are well known for their shrewd business sense, so therefore it makes sense they will make the 2020 sim a licence or subscription based program. They may also licence their software program to other companies who want to create add-ons, this in itself would raise the cost of add-ons, and you may fibd the smaller designers out there leave the market. They will remarket the new SIM in ways that they can maximize profits because they now know (which they didn't in FSX because they stated it was there last flight SIM at the time) that flight simming is big business, because in it's self they have created companies who just supply software add-ons.

The Xbox will probably only run add-on's through the games console's marketing, using membership or subsciption data basis, as used by the PS4 in some cases, this is the road the gaming industry is going.......I hope I am wrong about all this. I keep refering to it as a SIM and not a game in anticipation. The old fashioned way of purchasing a disc set in a box, with automatic online updates from Microsoft would be a dream come true......I hope Microsoft are as loyal to it's FS community, as we have been to them over the years.