cockpit darkness

Hi, I'm having a problem with cockpit visuals. I'm currently flying the cessna as I'm a beginner. When I'm making turns the virtual cockpit sometimes becomes darker because of the angle of the sun and I have a hard time viewing the indicators(or dials). I have a 15.6" laptop so that makes it worse.

Is there anything I can do abaut this?

Hi, I'm having a problem with cockpit visuals. I'm currently flying the cessna as I'm a beginner. When I'm making turns the virtual cockpit sometimes becomes darker because of the angle of the sun and I have a hard time viewing the indicators(or dials). I have a 15.6" laptop so that makes it worse.

Is there anything I can do abaut this?

Shift+L key to turn on the Panel light.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Some fsx planes don't show the cockpit light by day. Could be that is so for the Cessna as well.

I think the Beech Baron does show light by day.

I just tried the 172, sitting in the VC and changed the weather to overcast and rainy during the daytime. Using Shift+L caused the light to come on and make the cockpit brighter.

I just tried the 172, sitting in the VC and changed the weather to overcast and rainy during the daytime. Using Shift+L caused the light to come on and make the cockpit brighter.

I tried that before and now again. I press Shift+L, at first something like lightning happens for a second. After that no light at all. Nowhere...It seems like a glitch.

Oh, ok. I had a look. You're right, the light works by day in the cessna.

Still think it's more effective in the Beech 56. See below.

All with light on.

Cessna with sun behind it,

1.jpg

and sun in fromt of it.

2.jpg

And beech sun behind,

3.jpg

and sun in front.

4.jpg

-------------

-------------

These now with sun behind.

First light off, then on, in Cessna and Beech:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In some planes the light really makes very little impact by day. For example in the 737 3D-cockpit.

Sun in front of you and light off,

light off.jpg

light on.

light on.jpg

sun behind you:

sun behind you.jpg

Happy (F)Lights!:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I tried that before and now again. I press Shift+L, at first something like lightning happens for a second. After that no light at all. Nowhere...It seems like a glitch.

Make sure your battery and generator are running while you are flying! Maybe the panel light rheostat switch on the control panel is a better option to turn on the light.

panel light.JPG

Edited by mrzippy

Make sure your battery and generator are running while you are flying! Maybe the panel light rheostat switch on the control panel is a better option to turn on the light.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]209939[/ATTACH]

The panel light switch is same as Shift+L as far as I understand. I tried that. I don't know how to operate the battery and generator or where they are.

The light only flashing briefly once is what happens with the fully default C172. (by day.)

To fix this is easy peasy.

-->First close FSX so it is not running.

Then open the folder the Cessna is in:

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\C172

and make a copy of the original aircraft.cfg file.

Like so:

copy aircraft.JPG

then open the file: aircraft.cfg with Notepad. (NOt the copy, keep the copy safe and unchanged.)

In file aircraft.cfg find the:

[Lights]

section.

aircraft.cfg.png

then edit that section a bit.

change line:

//light.5 = 4, -2.27, 0.00, 1.45, fx_vclight

to

light.5 = 4, -2.27, 0.00, 1.45, fx_vclight

(so remove the //

at the start of the line.

Anything on a line after // is not read and executed by fsx.)

Close the aircraft.cfg file again and save it.

Removing // enables that VC light. And then you will see more then just that brief flash.

Start FSX, and Enjoy.:D

Happy Flights!

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The light only flashing briefly once is what happens with the fully default C172. (by day.)

To fix this is easy peasy.

-->First close FSX so it is not running.

Then open the folder the Cessna is in:

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\C172

and make a copy of the original aircraft.cfg file.

Like so:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]209940[/ATTACH]

then open the file: aircraft.cfg with Notepad. (NOt the copy, keep the copy safe and unchanged.)

In file aircraft.cfg find the:

[Lights]

section.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]209941[/ATTACH]

then edit that section a bit.

change line:

//light.5 = 4, -2.27, 0.00, 1.45, fx_vclight

to

light.5 = 4, -2.27, 0.00, 1.45, fx_vclight

(so remove the //

at the start of the line.

Anything on a line after // is not read and executed by fsx.)

Close the aircraft.cfg file again and save it.

Removing // enables that VC light. And then you will see more then just that brief flash.

Start FSX, and Enjoy.:D

Happy Flights!

Thank you so much. This problem was literally consuming me. Finally I got rid of it.

Mr. Zippy if I may ask about some improvements you have in your 2D C172 panel over the one I have:

Zippy's

zippy.jpg

Mine

C172.jpg

I can see your chronometer is in LCD rather than LED with my stock panel, I also see an icon for AP which is missing from mine, and your whole radio stack is so much better. Can you please advise how can I get this revised panel, or at least add the revisions myself?

Thank you in advance and best wishes.

Khalid

Edited by kalizzi

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's not my panel! Just a pic from the Interweb. I think it's available from flyawaysimulations.

The panel? I will have to check it out. Thank you. Best wishes.

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]