How to request the ILS runway

mcarvela

I'm using XP11 with 124thATC64 as my ATC. I was approaching KISP in very low visibility, just slightly above minimums in the default 737-800. My flight plan was for an IFR flight KDCA to KISP. Yet when I was nearing KISP, I was told to expect runway 28 which is one of the shorter runways and has no ILS. I know I can request a specific runway for takeoff when I'm getting my clearance. But how do I tell ATC that I'd prefer runway 06 which is the ILS runway? I had such trouble seeing the runway that I had to do a go around and divert.

You can't. You have to wait until the wind changes so you can have a headwind when landing on 06.

The runway that faces into the wind will always be the active one.

Having an ils flightplan will allow you to take off and land in low vis. It does not guarantee you get an ils runway.

If you can't land you'll have to divert to another airport to land at.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I’ve recently started using 124th and remember being able to select another runway during an IFR flight. I believe it was when ATC instructed me to expect a certain runway but can’t be sure. It was a button that could be selected as the third response at the bottom of the response box.