How Times Have Changed

Times have certainly changed over the years. Those of you who were on these forums around the time I joined are probably familiar with the original Air Kevin livery when the airline was started on July 30th, 2003. The following screenshot was taken some time in 2004. You may or may not have seen this screenshot before. At the time, I was running FS2002, and the graphics at the time weren't really all that great. I have no idea how, but somehow, somewhere, I recently stumbled across this screenshot once again.

1cc2c3fef2fc43fc7d99080a1731457b.jpg

Fast forward to today, and I'm now running P3D V4 with the latest and greatest....or at least, it was a year ago, anyway. You can see how much better this old livery can look on a much more advanced simulator, even if the livery itself wasn't much.

47b2a1f8e4bd33d2a9f21fb3e01c64ce.jpg

Okay, so maybe I don't actually use that livery anymore and only just recently painted it up just to see how it would look with the latest and greatest. This is the present livery I'm using. With the original design in 2007, there have been three minor changes to this livery to get it to where it is now.

e918814dde8afe63471f03602cc10146.jpg

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway four left, cleared for take-off.

Pretty amazing where flight simulation has gone. I started off in FS2004 circa 2008, but I messed with another version of FS back in circa '97 on my friend's computer. When I was fully dedicated with FS2004 on my own computer I learned about PMDG and I got the 737. Boy was that thing AWESOME! I flew from here in Colorado all over and every day. I even went from Colorado all the way to New Zealand doing hops in between in the 737-700. I learned everything myself and through the help of watching YouTube videos. In fact, the first time I took off in FS2004 was with the Lear 45 in Seattle and throgh the course of months I leaned how to fully utilize the instruments they give you in the default aircraft and how to properly use an ILS.

Having old pictures like that is a good thing for reminiscence. I still have some old videos I uploaded to YouTube from when I was flying in FS2004. And I do have a few screen shoots.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Yes! Time passing! :):):)

I personally started with the FS franchise by late 1998. From what I've seen, that was a great step already compared to previous versions. So, what to say about what has happened since FSX and then all those free and payware improvements!

Let's just fly! :pilot:

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

I started back in 1998 myself with FS98, then eventually switched to FS2002 back in 2003. At the time, I wasn't old enough to have my own computer, so I was limited to what my dad had, and he wasn't going to spend all sorts of money for a good computer, either. Now that I've had a full-time job for five years, I've saved money to buy a new computer, which I got last year. Definitely not a cheap computer for sure, but it does everything I need it to. I have some old videos on YouTube myself, but nowadays, when I have the time, I mostly do live streams of my flights.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Woaahhh! Great idea. Any details?

There you go if you really want to know. Do keep in mind, though, that I'm an over-the-road truck driver for a living, so I don't really get to stream very often. The last time I did was in April, but you can have a look at the past broadcasts and see what it's all about.

https://www.twitch.tv/Captain_Kevin_

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

My first flight sim..... wasn’t Microsoft’s...

It was Pro Flight Simulator 98.

Then I “moved up” to Flight Unlimited III.

Eventually I made it to FS 2002. Been with them ever since...

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

There you go if you really want to know

Looks interesting. IMHO I think the best would be such a chanel for simmers only, albeit I've not catched exactly how that site works :):cool:

Edited by flightsimg
Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Great comparison! My first was the SubLogic flight sim in the 80's. Pretty much upgraded every time a new version came out. (except for upgrading the computer. I would keep them for 5 or more years. i finally upgraded to my new gaming computer just recently.)

Thanks for starting the thread! Awesome history from the others also!

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looks interesting. IMHO I think the best would be such a chanel for simmers only, albeit I've not catched exactly how that site works :):cool:

Twitch is a website that allows people to stream just about anything. I've seen people stream games, art, cooking, singing, even walking around town. I don't think a site specifically for streaming flight simulators would really solve anything since I don't think you'd have too many people watching. I personally don't watch too many peoples' flight simulator streams because aside from lack of time, most of the time, there isn't much going on anyway. Most of the people that are following my channel actually DON'T fly in the simulator, so for them, it's interesting to see what it's like to operate a plane.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Ah! You're missionarizing flightsim among non-believers :):):)

Great reference anyway

I don't know if I would call it that. I just fly. People pop in if they want. Majority of the people who watch are not likely to get into it themselves.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg