Thoughts on Aerofly FS Flight Simulator

I've been a fan of FSX & probably would not move to another Sim. Honestly with the amount of $$$ and Time I have invested, don't think it would work but, I saw this Aerofly FS Flight Simulator and it's being billed as the next Generation Flight Simulator. Sure it's been around for awhile, quite honestly this is the first I've seen of it. Thoughts please if you have it, Price & how does it compare to FSX. Thanks

From what I’ve read review wise, it’s like comparing a model car to a real one. I.e. it’s a toy compared to FSX.
CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Aerofly FS2 is said to be a work in progress, although how much more work will be done remains to be seen. I currently have FSX, FSXSE, XP10, XP11, FS2 and FlyInside installed and running (FlyInside as a demo only). I like them all, each for it's own purposes.

If you are used to FSX, and use a lot of add-ons to up the realism ante, you will find FS2 a bit "light". Not on realism, per se, but on all of the bells and whistles that FSX, P3D and XP11 have that make them complete simulators. FS2 is perhaps the most astonishingly visually realistic of them all, right out of the "box", but lacks many of the detail touches that many of us are now used to in those other three sims - things like realistic flight planning and navigation, a more complete capability to control the weather, seasonal scenery, the entire world, add-ons and so on. But when it comes to flying in a stunning photorealistic world, FS2 takes the cake.

That's more or less what I use it for - things like flying through the Grand Canyon (better than any other simulator even with add-on scenery) or around New York or LA or, in my particular case Las Vegas (I go there 5 or 6 times a year for CAP missions and use FS2 to get familiar with the area).

If I want to stroll down memory lane and remind myself what I have been missing since I retired 11 years ago I use FSX or XP11 with their study level add-ons of the airplanes I flew. You have to spend quite a few bucks to get the scenery details up to the FS2 level, but everything else is more detailed and complete.

FS2 actually reminds me of a simulator that came out many years ago and was ground breaking for its time, including the first use of photo scenery - Flight Unlimited II and III. Outstanding scenery and performance for the time, good flying airplanes, but a lack of heavy iron and no add-on's.

All of that said, though, I can still recommend FS2 for your more unstructured flying!

I fly FSX-SE, P3Dv4.5, XP-11 and FS2, and I could not say it better than avallillo - I agree completely! You don't get everything in any of these sims.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

Aerofly FS2 is said to be a work in progress, although how much more work will be done remains to be seen. I currently have FSX, FSXSE, XP10, XP11, FS2 and FlyInside installed and running (FlyInside as a demo only). I like them all, each for it's own purposes.

If you are used to FSX, and use a lot of add-ons to up the realism ante, you will find FS2 a bit "light". Not on realism, per se, but on all of the bells and whistles that FSX, P3D and XP11 have that make them complete simulators. FS2 is perhaps the most astonishingly visually realistic of them all, right out of the "box", but lacks many of the detail touches that many of us are now used to in those other three sims - things like realistic flight planning and navigation, a more complete capability to control the weather, seasonal scenery, the entire world, add-ons and so on. But when it comes to flying in a stunning photorealistic world, FS2 takes the cake.

That's more or less what I use it for - things like flying through the Grand Canyon (better than any other simulator even with add-on scenery) or around New York or LA or, in my particular case Las Vegas (I go there 5 or 6 times a year for CAP missions and use FS2 to get familiar with the area).

If I want to stroll down memory lane and remind myself what I have been missing since I retired 11 years ago I use FSX or XP11 with their study level add-ons of the airplanes I flew. You have to spend quite a few bucks to get the scenery details up to the FS2 level, but everything else is more detailed and complete.

FS2 actually reminds me of a simulator that came out many years ago and was ground breaking for its time, including the first use of photo scenery - Flight Unlimited II and III. Outstanding scenery and performance for the time, good flying airplanes, but a lack of heavy iron and no add-on's.

All of that said, though, I can still recommend FS2 for your more unstructured flying!

Thank you avallillo for your detailed reply. I have been a avid user of FS98, Combat FS, FS2000 & FSX. I am big into addons and now use FSX only. I think the prices are too much for the others and the amount of time & effort I've put into FSX, I don't think I would get the enjoyment from another sim. I was just curious to hear thoughts on AeroFly FS2 and it's been helpful. Thank you all for the input.