FSX Rudder Sensitivity + Null Zone Setting?

Hey guys,

I was wondering what 'near-to-perfect' or optimum slider setting could be set for the sensitivity and null zone sliders in FSX for the rudder specifically.. I fly larger civilian aircraft such as the B737/A320/B777 mostly and with my current slider settings, it causes very "immediate"/unrealistic responses on the rudder of the respective aircrafts. Example being, if I even slightly turn the rudder axis on my joystick to the right, instead of the rudder on the aircraft turning to the right slightly in an increment, it veers completely to the right. I wanted to 'smoothen out' the reactions. Are there any appropriate slider settings for this anyone could share?

Currently my sliders for the rudder are set at a notch to the right (almost none) for the sensitivity and almost a notch away from the left (so almost completely) for the null zone.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance guys!

Adjusting the rudder response in the aircraft.cfg might help, but that, of course, is done one aircraft at a time.

You can also set the null zone a little wider, an increment at a time until you either get what you want or until it causes other unwanted effects, in which case the sensitivity slider MIGHT help a little.

Edited by lnuss

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

if I even slightly turn the rudder axis on my joystick to the right, instead of the rudder on the aircraft turning to the right slightly in an increment, it veers completely to the right. I wanted to 'smoothen out' the reactions. Are there any appropriate slider settings for this anyone could share?

The sensitivity and null zone sliders don't have the effect you describe. In fact having your sensitivity slider almost fully left will gave you a massive lag in the control response and is probably hiding what your rudder is actually doing. I'd suggest setting it all the way right first, see how the rudder behaves and then adjust it left a bit if you want to introduce some inertia.

This sounds more like your rudder axis isn't calibrated properly. Of course I am assuming you have an analogue axis for your rudder. Does it move smoothly in the Windows game controller settings dialog?

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

I am afraid its probably more of a value in the .air file, - maybe table 1101 in the yaw section Cn_dr rudder control, one just has to play by reducing the value & see what happens! One could also play with the other yaw values & note the results.

Hope that helps.

Keith

I find these setting to work well for me. Also realism settings to max right position.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]209726[/ATTACH]

This seems to be the default control settings, which didn't really help with the rudder movements. :/

Thanks for the advice Mark.

I did put the sensitivity sliders all the way to the right, but what that did instead was 'very immediate' jerk reactions on the rudder. Tried to play around with both the null zone and sensitivity sliders -- increasing/decreasing each a notch with each other, increasing/decreasing one more/less than the other...can't seem to find a setting that allows smooth movement of the rudder yet.

I did calibrate my joystick, yes. That didn't help.

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently what worked was that I disconnected the Joystick from the USB port, restarted my computer, connected my joystick again and then re-calibrated it. And that did the trick; my rudder finally started to turn left or right in more 'smoother' increments instead of immediate jerks.

Really odd since the last time I calibrated the joystick was over 2 years ago and not a day in between came by where I had problems with the rudder.

So apparently what worked was that I disconnected the Joystick from the USB port, restarted my computer, connected my joystick again and then re-calibrated it. And that did the trick; my rudder finally started to turn left or right in more 'smoother' increments instead of immediate jerks.

Really odd since the last time I calibrated the joystick was over 2 years ago and not a day in between came by where I had problems with the rudder.

It's not that odd.

Due to wear (or dirt) on the resistance surface of the internal potentiometers, a "spike" can suddenly occur, causing the current MS-Windows calibration to be disrupted.

Only remedy then is to re-calibrated or reboot the PC.

Rob

Edited by rcbarend