Posky A340s reluctant to takeoff.

HoratioWondersocks

Hello

I like the Posky 340s....BUT! They are extremely hard to get airborne . Even on very long runways I am almost out of rwy before the aircraft reluctantly takes to the air .

I am not overweight or carrying to much fuel (last night's flight about 35% fuel onboard and passenger/cargo weight all within recommended limits ). Once airborne climb ,cruise, descent ,landing etc no issues there, just takeoff (flap settings etc correct as well)

Is there anything within the Aircraft cfg I can alter that may help?

Any info gratefully received.

Cheers Andy

Hiya Socks! Are you giving that beasty any elevator trim before blasting down the runway?

Hello Zip!

Hope all's well with you.

I can't say I have trimmed the elevator on the 340 ,but! I don't on any of my other assorted Poskies ,Ifdg,PAs etc and takeoff is fine with all these aircraft.

What would you recommend?

I will give it a try this evening.

Cheers

Andy

Hello Zip!

Hope all's well with you.

I can't say I have trimmed the elevator on the 340 ,but! I don't on any of my other assorted Poskies ,Ifdg,PAs etc and takeoff is fine with all these aircraft.

What would you recommend?

I will give it a try this evening.

Cheers

Andy

Doing fine and all is well, thanks! Maybe just before applying power, give the (Numpad1) two or three clicks and see if it helps.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Doing fine and all is well, thanks! Maybe just before applying power, give the (Numpad1) two or three clicks and see if it helps.

Thanks Zip

I will give that a try tonight.

I let you know what occurs.

Just out of interest I have loaded up a few different aircraft and they load with no trim set(0)

Andy

Just for grins, I tried an FS2004 POSKY Swissair A340. I had 184,000 lbs of fuel on board and gave it 3 clicks of elevator trim. At about 94% N1 it lifted off the runway (5000) feet long, at the very end of it. Not too shabby! ;)

Just for grins, I tried an FS2004 POSKY Swissair A340. I had 184,000 lbs of fuel on board and gave it 3 clicks of elevator trim. At about 94% N1 it lifted off the runway (5000) feet long, at the very end of it. Not too shabby! ;)

Good stuff!

Just one thing further, once airborne and climbing safely , should I reset the trim back to to the 0 position?

I have been doing a little internet searching on the subject and it seems in reality the A340 has an automated trimming system.

cheers Andy

Good stuff!

Just one thing further, once airborne and climbing safely , should I reset the trim back to to the 0 position?

I have been doing a little internet searching on the subject and it seems in reality the A340 has an automated trimming system.

cheers Andy

I would hit the Numpad5 key to set all controls to 0 and continue on from there. I would not count on any Sim aircraft (maybe payware) to have an automatic trim capability.

I would hit the Numpad5 key to set all controls to 0 and continue on from there. I would not count on any Sim aircraft (maybe payware) to have an automatic trim capability.

Yes the few other posts I found concerning the A340 and the real aircrafts auto trim also mentioned that this system was unlikely on an FSim aircraft .

Andy

Andy - +1 on what mrzippy is suggestioning with the trim wheel settings. When I have a freeware download that plays "hard to get" in takeoffs, I check the fuel and payload loading, and when all that checks out or adjustments have been made, I will then consider the trim wheel as a solution. mrzippy uses the Numpad1 to trim, I usually look for any available space on the panel (2d panel,not VC) that I can add a trim wheel to it. Attached is a screenshot of my A340 panel, and circled in yellow is a trim wheel which I borrowed from the default Beechcraft Baron. Works very well, even in the jetliners, and can be sized to fit the area that you might have. Up to you, but that works for me! Adding a little nose up trim will definitely help you getting that bird offf the ground!

2019-5-24_15-13-11-353.jpg

Good luck and happy flying! Rick (Oh, and I use FSX, but you should still be able to do this in FS2004! AND, I have never had to reset the trim back to neutral, once the desired altitude is attained, you can see the trim wheel trimming itself back for level flight!

Edited by Downwind66

Hello Zippy

I took your advice and trimmed the aircraft (Posky A340)before takeoff ,and lo and behold the aircraft took off smoothly and way before the end of runway.

I may try this with other aircraft as well, because I did notice that when I engaged the autopilot on the 340 the aircraft didn't dip it's nose and cause me to exceed the 250 knt rule under ten thousand ft which I keep doing on a regular basis with other aircraft that I have never trimmed before (although they do takeoff without issues).

So you may have helped with two problems A. Getting the Posky 340s airborne and B my other aircraft nose dipping when AP engaged thus causing overspeed warnings.

Cheers Andy

Edited by HoratioWondersocks