FSX Steam Edition: Sudden increase in aircraft size for EXTERNAL views spot etc.

Forgive me if this question has already been asked and answered (I did search the forum but could not find anything relevant).

This is about the EXTERNAL views of the aircraft, i.e. Spot & Locked Spot.

Why is it that the exact same aircraft will sometimes appear "normal" i.e. scalable to your screen size and properly fit on the screen with all parts showing and with the ability to zoom in and out as required (using the '-' and '=' keys or scrolling the mouse wheel), and at other times suddenly appear so close and large that only a small component of the aircraft can fit on the screen and you can barely zoom out at all?

I am providing links to a couple of files to illustrate the issue..

PROPER SIZE.jpg - Shows the aircraft as it SHOULD appear.

http://www.daraious.com/FSX/proper-size.jpg

ENLARGED SIZE.jpg - Shows the extreme close up and enlarged view.

http://www.daraious.com/FSX/enlarged-size.jpg

I am sure others must have encountered this and I would love to know that there is a fix for this. Would really appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Daraious

FIX? looks like the 'problem' image is simply zoomed in.. shows the typical distortion of a zoomed in view. It's certainly the easiest to check; just Press [backspace] to reset to default zoom level.

( "+" key to zoom in; "-" key to zoom out; use +/- key with [shift] to zoom out smoothly in small(er) increments)

If + or - is used with [Control] you will MOVE the viewpoint. This is a slow process and you would've noticed doing it most likely but the end result would look similar. To reset this or anything other than zoom, press [ctrl + Space] to reset viewpoint.

Hope this helps.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

That is not spot or locked spot view. It is one of the (Views) as entered in the aircraft cfg. It looks like 'right wing engine looking back' or such. You must of cycled to (Views) by using the 'S' key and would get more (Views) if you then pressed the 'A' key. You can't zoom in/out when in the (Views) view. You can zoom in/out of spot, locked spot, flyby, tower and top down views. Press the 'S' key until you get back to locked spot view (better than spot view as it has no latency). Adjust locked spot view by pressing the SPACE BAR and moving your mouse (in all directions) and, of course, Ctrl+'-' or '=' keys. Best to get a list of COMMANDS (ie: key press=X) and the best one is a file named 'fsxcomds.zip' and can be found here at FSCom.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

+1 This is the "fix"!

Hi Zippy I have been frustrated by this anomaly before, as the ultimate authority in troubleshooting and technical stuff, do you have any idea why does it happen in the first place? and also, there are some models that appear very close -in spot view- right out of the box. Is there any parameter in aircraft.cfg that governs the viewpoint?

Best wishes.

Khalid

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Zippy I have been frustrated by this anomaly before, as the ultimate authority in troubleshooting and technical stuff, do you have any idea why does it happen in the first place? and also, there are some models that appear very close -in spot view- right out of the box. Is there any parameter in aircraft.cfg that governs the viewpoint?

Best wishes.

Khalid

No idea why. It's just an FSX anomaly. It happens when changing aircraft after hitting "Fly Now". It probably would not happen if folks would not use their default flight to start off with and then go through the "change aircraft", "change location", "change underwear", and "grab a beer" scenario every time they fly. Just my humble opinion.;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I've used the "grab a beer" key combo a few times, but sooner or later I always end up pressing "P" :o

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I've used the "grab a beer" key combo a few times, but sooner or later I always end up pressing "P" :o

I actually installed a beer tap on one of my panels!:p

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Here's how we do it in Yorkshire:

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Forgive me if this question has already been asked and answered (I did search the forum but could not find anything relevant).

This is about the EXTERNAL views of the aircraft, i.e. Spot & Locked Spot.

Why is it that the exact same aircraft will sometimes appear "normal" i.e. scalable to your screen size and properly fit on the screen with all parts showing and with the ability to zoom in and out as required (using the '-' and '=' keys or scrolling the mouse wheel), and at other times suddenly appear so close and large that only a small component of the aircraft can fit on the screen and you can barely zoom out at all?

I am providing links to a couple of files to illustrate the issue..

PROPER SIZE.jpg - Shows the aircraft as it SHOULD appear.

http://www.daraious.com/FSX/proper-size.jpg

ENLARGED SIZE.jpg - Shows the extreme close up and enlarged view.

http://www.daraious.com/FSX/enlarged-size.jpg

I am sure others must have encountered this and I would love to know that there is a fix for this. Would really appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Daraious

Mine does the same thing and there is no fix that I've tried yet. I've tried everything that's been suggested so far. The only way to fix is to restart FSX. Has nothing to do with Steam BTW, I had the problem with my box edition that I've owned & used since 2006. I have Steam Edition installed now & get the same problem daily. I switch between a lot of planes as I'm always working with the config files tweaking & adding things. But, If someone has a fix, I'd sure like to hear it. Get back on subject, let's find a fix for this Annoying Problem please.

Edited by Prostock

Lloyd! Thank you so much!

I tried the backspace option but there was no change. Zooming in and out using + and - just moved the image a couple of "inches" closer and out.

What worked was your suggestion of CTRL + Space - worked like a charm!

So thank you again!

Daraious