new gaming computer???

CessnaFlyer

hi guys and gals. yes I know there are a lot of threads on this topic. but my Dell XPS 8500 is showing it's age and I am thinking about upgrading. what about this https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/inspiron-gaming-desktop/spd/inspiron-5680-gaming-desktop/ndblutcr3052s would FSX do good on this? I had an alien ware R8 but it died after just three months. so maybe this will do better then what I have now.
giving up on flight simulation for good:D

I see this has no replies. but I was doing some research and found that this computer that I posted the link to should run FSX just fine. as I was looking at the difference between this and the alien ware aurora R8 and the only difference is the alien ware processor is an I7 4.6 Ghz with 16 gigs of ram and an 8 gig GPU. but the computer I should get next week has 8 gigs of ram and an I5 4.1GHZ processor. and a 4 gig GPU. so the alien ware has slightly better performance but the computer I got is half the price. :)

• 1 month later...

Look at my specs. I run FSX '''LOCKED''' at 30 fps (NOT UNLIMITED). But, Butt, Cigerette Butt I tweaked the FSX cfg or else it would not work as well. The i5 at 4.1 Ghz will do fine with sliders not all the way right. FSX is 1 core, 32 bit, and can't 'match' the new CPU's performance so it (FSX) is the bottleneck - not your CPU or GPU. OK? OK! My CPU throttles (turbo boost) from 3.5 ghz to 3.877 ghz so that helps too. The CPU 'K' means 'overclockable' so the BIOS does the speed changes. Does the i5 CPU have a 'k' at end of it? I, myself, would definitely get an 'overclockable' i5 and would NOT get an i5 that is not. Just me. Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Look at my specs. I run FSX '''LOCKED''' at 30 fps (NOT UNLIMITED). But, Butt, Cigerette Butt I tweaked the FSX cfg or else it would not work as well. The i5 at 4.1 Ghz will do fine with sliders not all the way right. FSX is 1 core, 32 bit, and can't 'match' the new CPU's performance so it (FSX) is the bottleneck - not your CPU or GPU. OK? OK! My CPU throttles (turbo boost) from 3.5 ghz to 3.877 ghz so that helps too. The CPU 'K' means 'overclockable' so the BIOS does the speed changes. Does the i5 CPU have a 'k' at end of it? I, myself, would definitely get an 'overclockable' i5 and would NOT get an i5 that is not. Just me. Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

i did take a look at your specs and you and I have the same amount of ram. but my new computer has Nvidia graphics @4 gigs not two like yours. besides this thread being a month old now I have the computer I was asking about on here and it does really well. with all my sliders maxed out. but I haven't taken it to really heavy scenery area's just yet. course though all my scenery is stock.

I would definitely go with 16G's of RAM - not that much more $'s, and you won't be sorry...

I'm curious how your Alienware "died" after just three months... Was it not under warranty?

well going with more ram would be a waste of money as FSX does not use that much ram. and the Alienware go trashed because of the way they designed the power supply. yes it was under warranty. but they said seeing as how it was damaged by me that they would not replace the parts needed to get it running again. the problem was when I clean the computer after 2 months of having it. I swung the power supply out like your supposed to. but little did I know at the time that when you move the power supply that it broke the pins off of the hard drive and ripped the plug off of the power supply. cause it kept having BSOD's and shutting down and that's when I seen what had happened. so I got a new computer that's a lot similar to the XPS8500 in terms of cleaning it out.

Sorry to hear about your Alienware misfortune... Don't know why should have to move the power supply to "clean" the PC though? Also, if you don't already have it, get a can of compressed air to blow out dust or grit from the innards of the PC - it come with a long plastic straw - this avoids the need to touch any components.

Actually, you can never have quite enough RAM because the computer caches (holds some in reserve) from the actual stated number... Plus, if you ever want to use your PC for another flight sim app (say, the future release of MSFS2020), you may want more RAM already installed...

Sorry to hear about your Alienware misfortune... Don't know why should have to move the power supply to "clean" the PC though? Also, if you don't already have it, get a can of compressed air to blow out dust or grit from the innards of the PC - it come with a long plastic straw - this avoids the need to touch any components.

Actually, you can never have quite enough RAM because the computer caches (holds some in reserve) from the actual stated number... Plus, if you ever want to use your PC for another flight sim app (say, the future release of MSFS2020), you may want more RAM already installed...

because that is how you get to the innards of the computer is by having to move the power supply. and I do use compressed air cans on my computers.

this is a 15 minute video I found for cleaning the Alienware. you can see in it you have to move the power supply out of the way. and the first timer going to clean the thing not know can trash the computer