Windows 10 and MSFS 2002

BudE

Could not get my original MSFS 2002 to install so bought new set. The 3 discs installed fine, started up and first coupe of flights went well, now I cannot change a/c or locations, its stuck on a Learjet and Meigs Field, joystick works and plane flys ok, but how do I get this to work as it should. Others seem to have no problem with Windows 10.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
I have a WindowsXP computer for FS2002. My sister bought a new computer with Windows 10. I installed FS2002 The planes fly but they don't show in the Select Plane window but when I click to fly it shows for a split second. Also the scenery gets messed up.

I am an FS9 guy but I have FS2002 on my PC for nostalgia. (windows 10) I've noticed the same thing. It is best to start with the 172 before switching planes. the best option that I recommend is to get FS9 for her unless her PC can not handle it. with all default scenery you can expect over 100fps no questions asked on a decent PC. with addons you can expect anywhere from 30-60. here's a link to my channel showing how to upgrade FS9 if you are interested. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_CaTfA5MnBsr3AxlFkH06g

All the things old games require to run properly are being changed on Win 10 and they simply will no longer function correctly.

With a quick search I could not find a report of anyone running FS2002 on Win 10 without issues.

FS2002, FS9, FSX, there are issues with all of them under Win 10 in one way or another or with one add-on or another.

Either go with FS9 as it is still more Win 10 friendly or use Win 7/Win XP for FS2002. Win XP would likely be the best option.

Mark Daniels

• 4 weeks later...

Just installed FS2002 on Win 10 and it appears to work well. Guess I found one person that is running it without issues.

Aircraft preview doesn't show in full screen but that's about it.

Two decades have passed since FS2002 was released and now MSFS is about to be released with the latest state of the art weather.

Well...if one wants to see realistic unbroken clouds at altitude, FS2002 is still the sim of choice!

clouds.jpg

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

• 2 months later...
I have also been running FS2002 on Windows 10 without issues. I have it on a secondary drive (M.2), not my boot drive. With everything maxed, it doesn't even change the fan speed.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I've also been running FS2002 on Win10 since I got Win10 (3-4 years?) with no issues. I set it up where Win10 wanted to put it (in the Prog Files (X86) folder) and its been very stable. I guess three of us are just lucky. :rolleyes:

BTW, anyone remember the Hover Control Bell 412 Huey for FS9? I finally got it converted to FS2002 using the older H/C Bell 212 and it flies about as good as any helo in FS2002. :cool:

I know Hover Control has gone on to the the Great Recycle Bin In The Sky :( but I'm pretty sure these were the same MDL files used by Cera Sim in an FS9 payware title. :confused: Meaning, I'm pretty sure I can't post the complete aircraft but maybe I could post the FS2002 conversion parts (air file and aircraft.cfg) if you have the old H/C freeware version kicking around. :pilot:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Im running FS2002 on Win10 just fine, installed it for fun and nostalgia reason recently.. Only thing that I dont seem to be able to figure out is a gauges flickering in windowed mode with external AA applied through nvidia inspector. The gauges surprisingly dont flicker if any red info text is displayed on the screen (fps count and coords, zoom , parking brake etc). In full screen no flicker at all, but I prefer windowed mode, and properly scaled to in order to get decent panel quality, 1280x960 window is about right....

if anyone could advice how to get rid of that gauges flicker, would greatly appreciate.

Recent fs2002 flight below.

fs20027.jpg