No Overcast in FSE

bam1220

Is anyone still using FSE? After I was sent the latest update to correct the license problem my overcast no longer works. I have done numerous flights into and out of KBGR this past week. Every time the METAR showed overcast FSE was giving me mostly cloudy skies with about 20% blue skies. There was one day where the METAR showed overcast with rain. I got the rain but I could see a lot of blue sky.

I have emailed Hifi support with this issue. They asked for several different log files which I promptly sent them. Then 3 days ago they stopped responding to me. No fix. No we need more time. Nothing. I have politely asked them if they have any more information and I have been ignored for days.

Does anyone know how to get overcast skies in FSE? I have read the manual several times and made sure that my settings in FSE as well as the paid version of FSUIPC are correct as stated in the manual. FSE worked perfectly up until the latest update was sent to me. I am reaching out to the FS9 community now since Hifi support has decided to stop helping me. Any ideas? Thank you.

FSE? I think you mean ASE (Active Sky Evolution). I'd suggest uninstalling the update from Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a program. Then restart your PC, download the update again and re-install it.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I think you brought this up not long ago. I went and checked mine after reading your post as I did last time. I checked the metar and several airports particularly for overcast skies. It was dead accurate every single time. The issue is not happening to everyone. It would not be possible for just overcast skies to stop working The ASE program isn't going to change so the only way this could happen is if the metars contained the wrong information. The metars definitely do show overcast skies and ASE does display them.

Regarding support, ASE is discontinued, any support you get is a bonus. We're lucky at this point the program still works at all.

Good luck resolving the issue but I can confirm both the metars and ASE are correct.

Mark Daniels

Have you tried completely removing FSUIPC and reinstalling it? In particular the ini file needs to go.

I haven't looked at ASE settings and not sure if there is anything in there that may prevent fully overcast skies being shown, be worth checking there as well.

Mark Daniels

FSE? I think you mean ASE (Active Sky Evolution). I'd suggest uninstalling the update from Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a program. Then restart your PC, download the update again and re-install it.

You are right. ASE. I'm sorry. I am a member of numerous support forums including Windows 10 and I got confused. My bad. I didn't have an issue until the new update they sent me. What I noticed yesterday is the METAR is showing overcast skies but the information listed in TAF below it is showing broken. I am wondering if the error comes from this different information? I will try uninstalling FSUIPC and reinstall it to see if it matters. But I think the problem lies in the difference between the METAR and TAF readings. I need to study up on what TAF is and why it would be different in ASE. And yes I have set weather settings in FS9 to maximum. Thank you.

You are right. ASE. I'm sorry.

No problem, it's easily done and we knew what you meant anyway so no need to apologize. I think the problem may be with the ASE update rather than your FSUIPC settings because the ASE update wouldn't affect your FSUIPC settings.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Loaded up the sim and started a flight at KBGR today because it was overcast and raining. The METAR and TAF information in ASE was the same. And I had rain as well as overcast skies. I was extremely happy. I am going to keep an eye on it. It seems that the problem might crop up when the METAR does not match the TAF. I have been seeing this discrepancy a lot over the past week at different airports.

What I noticed yesterday is the METAR is showing overcast skies but the information listed in TAF below it is showing broken. I am wondering if the error comes from this different information?

The METAR shows the current conditions, this is what ASE should be displaying. TAF is the future forecast so the two will often not match.

Mark Daniels

The METAR shows the current conditions, this is what ASE should be displaying. TAF is the future forecast so the two will often not match.

Right. But for some reason my ASE won't show overcast when those two don't match. I have no idea why. The METAR will show overcast and the TAF will not. Then I don't get overcast in FS9. But if they both show overcast then I get overcast. Again no idea why. I am about ready to give up and use another program. But I paid for ASE and I like it. Maybe it has something to do with the update that was sent to me. I had perfect overcast skies before the update. Anyway thanks to all of you that answered. If the issue crops up gain I'll just use another program.

Edited by bam1220

Try this:

Check "Force to Sim Time" top right ASE main screen

Go to KPRN (Select active runway)

Set date to May 21st, 2018

Set time to 11:00 local/16:00GMT

You should have full overcast with rain. Make sure that ASE has had time to fully load the weather.

Mark Daniels

Try this:

Check "Force to Sim Time" top right ASE main screen

Go to KPRN (Select active runway)

Set date to May 21st, 2018

Set time to 11:00 local/16:00GMT

You should have full overcast with rain. Make sure that ASE has had time to fully load the weather.

I am not at my FS computer right now. I do know that the file sent to me as the update was SP5_B709 if that helps. One thing I have noticed is if I set ASE to flight sim time the time in ASE is always off. As an example if I start a flight in KBGR (Eastern Time Zone US) I will have 12pm set in FS9. Now I am in the Dallas area (Central Time Zone US) where it would be 11am. Even though ASE is set to use FS9 time it will show 11am in ASE. I haven't been able to change the time to match FS9 even though set time to FS9 is checked in ASE. I'll try your suggestion as soon as I am at my FS computer. Thanks.

Edited by bam1220

I am not at my FS computer right now. I do know that the file sent to me as the update was SP5_B709 if that helps. One thing I have noticed is if I set ASE to flight sim time the time in ASE is always off. As an example if I start a flight in KBGR (Eastern Time Zone US) I will have 12pm set in FS9. Now I am in the Dallas area (Central Time Zone US) where it would be 11am. Even though ASE is set to use FS9 time it will show 11am in ASE. I haven't been able to change the time to match FS9 even though set time to FS9 is checked in ASE. I'll try your suggestion as soon as I am at my FS computer. Thanks.

What you were sent was the last SP pack for ASE which will bring your build to 709, same as mine.

Do try that weather, it should give you the same results. Set the date and time via the normal FS time/date adjustments and ASE should also display that same date and time in it's main interface.

Mark Daniels

I reset ASE to defaults today and reset it the way I like it. I tried your example and I had perfectly overcast skies with rain. I then did a flight from KDEN to KDFW. The weather in Denver was light snow and almost no visibility. It was depicted perfectly in FS9. When I arrived in DFW the weather depicted was perfect. I have to say my issue is now fixed. Even the time in ASE shows what I have in FS9. Thank you and everyone else for the help. I am happy once again with FS9, ASE, and Radar Contact.