Airline Commander -- New user feedback and questions

adjensen

I just started playing the other day and I really like this app (iPhone user.) But I'm having some problems and have some feedback.

1) When I get into "Autopilot" mode, by swiping up on the left side of the screen, there doesn't seem to be any way to get out of it, because swiping on the screen on the right and left sides just moves the map. Is there anyway out of that mode? I've crashed a couple of planes by accidentally getting into that mode and not being able to get out

2) There is a mission, Istanbul -- Wroclaw, which has three parts, simple takeoff, simple landing and full takeoff. Not long after you've suffered through the taxiing part and take off, there's an engine emergency that shuts off the engines and fires up an alert. When you click on the Alert, it takes you to the engines display, and nothing I do in there restarts the engines, and I crash. That's just dumb, so I'm guessing that I'm missing something. Anyone who has finished that route, how do you deal with the emergency?

3) And a bit of feedback from #2 -- the time limit imposed to finish the route is dumb and unfair. I had to spend resources to be able to run that route, and they were wasted because, after failing the "Full takeoff, engine failure" thing twice, I was out of time.

1-You can go back to normal screen by swiping up on the right toggle/knob.

2-If I'm not mistaken, you probably haven't turned on the APU first before restarting. It's on the same screen as the de-icing button...I believe it's swipe right on the left toggle...it's on the left toggle for sure.

• 2 months later...
It’s unrealistic , On the number 2 I have trouble with trying to land even after hitting the APU when I’m taking a test for engine failure. It makes no sense because for example Airbus310, the smaller one, the stall speed is 140, but the plane stalls at 160-165,immediately slows down and crashes even before hitting 140 knots.. I should be able to glide thru with the air and being only 70 ft before landing and I should be able to land. I’ve stalled before on planes during flight but I still have some time before it crashes where I’m able to speed up but my point is I’m still gliding thru the air. I can’t seem to get passed those tests.

• 4 months later...

On the engine failure tests, you have to overcompensate for the glide-thru. For instance, on the MD-80 Exam G, if you approach at or near stall speed, you will crash before you get to the runway. I had to bring it in at twice the recommended altitude, ~180 knots, then drop gear and air-brake as fast as possible once I was over the runway threshold.

I suppose the real lesson here is, once you're down to one engine, you need to overcompensate for it in case you lose the second engine.

• 3 weeks later...

Honest Airline Commander game/app review, read if you have the time:

This game would be the greatest if you didn't have to pay for everything, and if there were actual free flight and full flight features. The full flights they give you are random and lacking. This game isn't too harsh on beginners or novices that just want to fly and have fun while learning a good deal about airplanes.

It is not too technical like X Plane, or MS Flight Sim or those games with real flight sim mechanics where you actually have to know how to fly a fucking plane for real. This is a great introduction to ppl that want a taste, but not too much at once.

You learn about flaps, lightweight terminology/vocabulary like "VLO, waypoint, Heading, Knot, VREF" and can get a glimpse of some other functions like dumping fuel, dealing with a microburst or strong winds, play around with the 4 flap settings, bad landing gears, broken rudders. It really is cool and the game introduces them in such an easy and consumable way.

My problem is you can't actually fly anywhere. You are locked in a cage and 95% of the game play is just simple takeoffs/landings and full takeoffs/landings that just means you have to taxi the plane to the run way. It could be so much more if you could pick your own flight points and actually fly and land at places of your choosing. Real or not. I don't need a real world map or anything.

I'd just like to be able to do my own full flight whether it is a 30min, 120 min, 4 hr flight and land and takeoff that would be amazing. The games graphics are great enough and the presentation of the aircraft and the camera is better than other mobile flight games and sims where theere is just something off about the view. I like to see the whole plane when I'm flying as that is the point of me playing the game. I don't want to be restricted by incomplete full aircraft body views and cockpit views like the other sims.

This game is good, just save your money and don't spend much on it. You can't do much and there is no free solo flights or multiplayer options. You are a caged animal here in a 3 foot by 3 foot cage. Game play and controls are honestly the best I've played as a novice but you shouldn't spend a dime on a game that is only going to let you land and takeoff, and then force you to wait for more activities.

If you don't want to wait to land and takeoff only, some more, then you have to pay in credits or real cash. So just play the free version, this game isn't going to get you anything more even if you pay big money it, just save yourself. Play it for free and hopefully there will be another engineer, developer that can make a highly similar game in gameplay, camera views, and controls, but will allow for more sandbox type of play options.