Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ATC Help

Default ATC Help

I just started VA flying and never used ATC before other than to listen to them & add realism to the sim. I have a question. I use a flight plan and before I start my flight, I "PLAN" the Runway I want to land on. Usually a straight line in from Point A to Point B. I contact ATC with landing intentions on the predetermined Runway, I am appx. 20 miles out when I'm setting AP to Approach, ATC tells me to land coming in from the total opposite direction. Keep in mind, runway is clear, hardly any other aircraft in the area. Is there a logical reason for FSX ATC to Not just have me come in on the Runway set in my Flight Plan & that my Nav is set too? Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Prostock View Post
    I just started VA flying and never used ATC before other than to listen to them & add realism to the sim. I have a question. I use a flight plan and before I start my flight, I "PLAN" the Runway I want to land on. Usually a straight line in from Point A to Point B. I contact ATC with landing intentions on the predetermined Runway, I am appx. 20 miles out when I'm setting AP to Approach, ATC tells me to land coming in from the total opposite direction. Keep in mind, runway is clear, hardly any other aircraft in the area. Is there a logical reason for FSX ATC to Not just have me come in on the Runway set in my Flight Plan & that my Nav is set too? Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
    You can plan the runway all you want, but it's up to ATC what runway they will give you. If you have any weather turned on at all, that will be the main decider of what runway ATC will give you. If you are using real weather, check the reports at the airport you are flying too to fine out which way the wind is blowing, then you can plan on the runway from there, but even so, that still may change by the time you get there. Another thing I've found, if the airport has only one runway and you don't have the weather running, ATC will set you up on the Primary runway, which at most airports in the most north to east runway. Another thing I've found is if the runway has ILS, it tends to lean towards that end of the runway, if the runway only has one end that has ILS that is.

You can always land on the runway and ignore the ATC though, there isn't any ATC police in the game!!!!!

3. Default

You will get permission for the runway that's heading into the wind.
    If 60 knot airspeed is landing speed, then with 10 knot headwind your speed over ground will only be 50 knot.
    (50 knot speed over ground plus 10 knot from headwind makes 60 knot speed at which air flows over wings to keep you in the air.)

Lower ground speed on landing means shorter stopping distance.

----
    works on takeoff too. You already have 10 knots of 'airspeed' while standing ready on the runway.
    After accelerating to only 50 knot speed over ground you lift off. (60 knot airspeed at that point). Means shorter takeoff distance, more runway remaining if you need to stop, and more control if you need to use the brake because you are less likely to slid/skid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwaffler View Post
    You can plan the runway all you want, but it's up to ATC what runway they will give you. If you have any weather turned on at all, that will be the main decider of what runway ATC will give you. If you are using real weather, check the reports at the airport you are flying too to fine out which way the wind is blowing, then you can plan on the runway from there, but even so, that still may change by the time you get there. Another thing I've found, if the airport has only one runway and you don't have the weather running, ATC will set you up on the Primary runway, which at most airports in the most north to east runway. Another thing I've found is if the runway has ILS, it tends to lean towards that end of the runway, if the runway only has one end that has ILS that is.

You can always land on the runway and ignore the ATC though, there isn't any ATC police in the game!!!!!
    Thanks for your insight. I usually ignore ATC honestly. Just trying to make sense of why they tell me to come in on the opposite end of the ILS runway when I'm already flying straight in on the ILS Runway I chose. FSX I guess. Thanks again

Frankly I find default ATC to be the most disapponting feature of any flight sim software I've tried. I've heard some folks say there is pretty good payware ATC available. But frankly, I've never thought it was important enough to try some.

The answer to your question is, how real do you want your sim experience to be? There are some who want it, "as real as it gets". Others are satisfied to approximate the flight sim experience. From what I've seen and experienced myself the latter is OK.

Keep in mind that the ATC Controllers are doing the same thing you are. But, instead of flying a simulated aircraft they are manning a simulated radar scope. I appreciate the time and effort they put in to learn that aspect of our hobby.

The other guys that have responded to your question have given you you sage advice. The only thing I would add is to go to the VATSIM website and go thru their training so you get the gist of how to do things correctly. Then get online, let the controller know you are new to this and accept the help they'll give you to really enjoy this aspect. Have fun!

Bill
    Bill Mattson

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Prostock View Post
    ...ATC tells me to land coming in from the total opposite direction. Keep in mind, runway is clear, hardly any other aircraft in the area. Is there a logical reason for FSX ATC to Not just have me come in on the Runway set in my Flight Plan & that my Nav is set too? Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
    Like to play "Chicken" with the other aircraft, eh?

The same "logical" reason you are not permitted to drive down the freeway in the opposite direction. Your not flowing with the direction of travel as the rest of the traffic.
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64gb 2666, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, WD VelociRaptor 250gb and 1000gb, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, CM Cosmos S, Logitech M570/K800 Wireless Trackball/Keyboard, Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
    Frankly I find default ATC to be the most disapponting feature of any flight sim software I've tried. I've heard some folks say there is pretty good payware ATC available. But frankly, I've never thought it was important enough to try some.
    I agree with you Rupert, not worth paying for & is kind of useless especially if it doesn't work. I guess I'll just try to make the best of it with what I have

Quote Originally Posted by dogdish View Post
    Like to play "Chicken" with the other aircraft, eh?

The same "logical" reason you are not permitted to drive down the freeway in the opposite direction. Your not flowing with the direction of travel as the rest of the traffic.
    LOL Dogdish, Thing is I like to use the ILS Auto Pilot feature so if I have to go around that means I'm stick & rudder all the way in unless I go out far enough to reprogram everything to come in the other side. I have patience but sometimes that's asking too much. LOL. I'll deal with it. Thanks

Request different approach?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast