New System/Migration from FSX to XP11

kemof15

Awaiting the arrival of a new computer/monitor. I've invested massive amounts of time and money to the FSX enterprise but will now jump into the XP11 experience. A few big picture questions first:

1. Does Windows 10 64-bit need to be tweaked for XP 11 like Windows 7 for FSX? (I'm recalling NickN's guide for FSX optimization with Windows OS)

2. I will have 1 TB SSD and a 4 TB SATA III mechanical hard-drive, which drive should XP 11 be installed? Can it be on the same drive as Windows 10? Does it need to be installed to a root C:// or D://, or a separate folder?

3. Do most guys run with an anti-virus or is it switched off?

4. Should I allow Win 10 to be updated automatically?

5. I've got quite a few controllers from FSX (Saitek radio/autopilot panels), PFC throttle quadrant/throttles, CH yoke and rudder pedals, Track IR...will XP 11 auto identify these and should they be calibrated within XP11 or is it recommended to use FSUIPC or XUIPC I guess?

6. Finally, the absolute must does when first installing XP11 on a new computer (Win 10)

New computer specs: i7-9700k oc'd 4.7Ghz, 1 TB SSD +4 TB SATA III HD, RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 video card, 16GB DDR4/3000Mhz RAM

Thanks in advance

Mudhendriver

Hi.

1. Does Windows 10 64-bit need to be tweaked for XP 11 like Windows 7 for FSX? (I'm recalling NickN's guide for FSX optimization with Windows OS)

Nick's mods were more geared towards the FSX than the OS, but that part you will still have to deal with.

2. I will have 1 TB SSD and a 4 TB SATA III mechanical hard-drive, which drive should XP 11 be installed? Can it be on the same drive as Windows 10? Does it need to be installed to a root C:// or D://, or a separate folder?

Put it on the SSD Xp11 can take up to 8 min. to load up from a good / regular HD.

It can be on the drive or with the OS and it can be anywhere you want XP11 does not use the Registry which means that you can just get the Directory and move anywhere later, without complications.

3. Do most guys run with an anti-virus or is it switched off?

Always have AV on and I suggest to disable the Local Network unless you need the access to internet.

XP / LR has a terrible bad habit to access Internet every time you start. Nothing seems to convince them to give that up, apparently they did hear about the new laws about not accessing the customer's system without direct permission. Soon someone will likely get them to understand, it may take some external intervention.

4. Should I allow Win 10 to be updated automatically?

I never allow the OS to automatically update, I would not recommend it to everyone unless you know what you are doing.

5. I've got quite a few controllers from FSX (Saitek radio/autopilot panels), PFC throttle quadrant/throttles, CH yoke and rudder pedals, Track IR...will XP 11 auto identify these and should they be calibrated within XP11 or is it recommended to use FSUIPC or XUIPC I guess?

XP has some special kooks for some of the controllers you mention, try it first without any external apps.

6. Finally, the absolute must does when first installing XP11 on a new computer (Win 10)

There is no specific item but after you get one version to the level that you want, Save it and don't overwrite with the new XP updates / beta versions that can be one of the most time consuming and disappointing experiences.

If you do not like the default setup, and most users do not, be prepared a long tedious, time consuming experience to get it to the level you want / need and you may never get it there. Every time XP updates the version many things that worked in the previous version may not work in the new that will cause a huge amount of frustration.

Mudhendriver