Lost All Voices and Real Weather. How Can I Recover

I hadn't been flying on the regular due to my work schedule. After being offline for several months, I found that I no longer have any FSX default voices, no pilots, no ATC. At least, I can't hear them. I do seen the transcript in the ATC window, but that's it. I've tried adjusting settings, and even uninstalling and reinstalling FSX, but to no avail. Coincidentally, the ' key no longer controls the ATC window.

Also, Real Weather now gives me an error that it cannot load. It tells me to check my internet connection, but there is nothing wrong with my internet connection. Related? Any recommendations?

Perypoo

Edited by perypoo663
Missing detail

I hadn't been flying on the regular due to my work schedule. After being offline for several months, I found that I no longer have any FSX default voices, no pilots, no ATC. At least, I can't hear them. I do seen the transcript in the ATC window, but that's it. I've tried adjusting settings, and even uninstalling and reinstalling FSX, but to no avail. Coincidentally, the ' key no longer controls the ATC window.

Also, Real Weather now gives me an error that it cannot load. It tells me to check my internet connection, but there is nothing wrong with my internet connection. Related? Any recommendations?

Perypoo

Go to settings/sound and check that the correct output devices are selected. Happens to me periodically.

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Real World Weather hasn't been updating like forever! Stop going into the weather tab and just fly. There will be weather, whether or not, it's correct for today. Only other option is to use a 3rd party freeware or payware weather provider.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I found that I no longer have any FSX default voices, no pilots, no ATC. At least, I can't hear them.

Since you've re-installed FSX and checked all the sound settings, maybe the sound card drivers need updating or the sound card itself is faulty?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Since you've re-installed FSX and checked all the sound settings, maybe the sound card drivers need updating or the sound card itself is faulty?

I can hear all plane/engine sounds, etc. The only thing not coming through are the pilot and ATC voices.

When I log off however, I do get a pop-up saying that Compatibility Mode has been applied to FSX. I don't know why. I am running Windows 10

I can hear all plane/engine sounds, etc. The only thing not coming through are the pilot and ATC voices.

When I log off however, I do get a pop-up saying that Compatibility Mode has been applied to FSX. I don't know why. I am running Windows 10

Sound cards and their drivers play sounds through multiple channels, some sounds may play OK but others won't be heard if the drivers need updating or the sound card itself is faulty - however: If Windows 10 is applying Compatibility Mode for you, you should be running FSX as an administrator and this should restore the ATC voices. Right-click on the FSX.exe, select Properties, click on the Compatibility tab, then tick the 'Run this program as an Administrator' box, click OK and close.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hope the ATC sound and pilot's voice (you DO have a pilot's voice checked in your sound settings?) aren't trying to go to a headset? Maybe the "Do Nothing" trick in the Sound Card settings?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

In the fsx sounds menu (inside fsx settings menu when running) you find two boxes for audio device selection.

The box on the right sets the device for voice sounds (such as ATC).

With some audio devices you can use two different ones at a time. I have speakers, and also have a headset that connects by plugging in an audio dongle that creates a wireless connection. (the dongle acts like a second sound card really). -With speakers and headset plugged in I can select speaker in the box on the left in the fsx menu, and headset in the box on the right. That way I hear the engine noises from the speaker while voice all comes through the headset. Very nice, especially when flying online while talking to the people on the servers and to the ATC controllers at the tower. (actual people man the towers on some online flying sites.).

I never got it working with simple "plug in two 3.5 mm plugs" headsets. Didn't get that option with BlueTooth either.

Using those devices it was not seen as a separate audio device (sound card??) and only speaker or headset worked in fsx. (choice in Windows sound menu).

But it worked right away with my "Logitech ClearChat Wireless" headset. (Old model, not sure the ClearChat is still available.)

----

if that Usb device you mentioned is a headset then try if you can hear ATC from it while engine noise comes from speakers. Can be most enjoyable.

(one warning, cockpit sounds may come through the headset too. There can be high pitched warning sounds in that. Such as the sound for 'autopilot disconnect'. You may want to change that sound file in the sound folder of the aircraft to something that hurts your ears less when it comes out the headset. The Free(ware) program "Audacity" can be used to edit sounds to a lower volume. (and can do many more things, great audio editor that.)

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]