Wind direction disregarded by ATC

beroun

Hi,

Got RealWX Pro and lately ATC clears me for take-off to the runways with tail wind. Never happened to me before. See picture- Cleared for RW 7 at LAX with wind blowing from the tail at 31Kts!!??? In the past ATC was always correct in offering the head-wind (+- up to 90 deg) runways for take-offs. This is not aircraft related, since all my aircraft I tested (AB, Boeings, Classics and on) encounter the same problem.

Perhaps RealWX is acting up? Or any remedy appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Wind issue (2).jpg

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Hi,

Got RealWX Pro and lately ATC clears me for take-off to the runways with tail wind.

After the weather loads you may need to refresh the AI traffic for ATC to recognise the weather change. I have assigned key "T" to do that, but there are other ways - change the time slightly should work, I think, or relaod the user aircraft maybe.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Hi Peter, if you have the full version of FSUIPC, in the Clouds and Winds tabs tick the checkbox to "Allow changes to FS own weather".

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I am seeing the same thing while using FSRealWX. My ASE won't work due to some type of licensing issue so I am using FSRealWX. Even clicking to refresh AI does not help. The allow changes to FS own weather doesn't work either. Only have this issue with FSRealWX. OP you are not alone. I would just ignore ATC (Radar Contact) and take off into the wind but the AI are landing towards me.

My ASE won't work due to some type of licensing issue

Contact Hifi Sim support on that. They have issued a new version that will solve that problem and will give you a link to it.

As to FSRealFX Pro, it is giving me the right runway after reloading the AI traffic. I am sure Nadlzfw's suggestion does the same. A puzzle that others aren't experiencing this.

John

A puzzle that others aren't experiencing this.

It could be that they're running FS2004 as administrator, but not FSRealWX, in which case it won't have full access to the sim.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks for the feedback,

regret nothing suggested seems to work. I fly mostly IFR and YES just landed at airport and AI were taking off on opposite runway. Take-off was also with 20K wind blowing from the back. Strange thing is that this happened suddenly, without me making any changes. In the past Tower always vectored against the wind, now the logic seems to be reversed. Perhaps the latest W10 update? But do not really want to uninstall it. Will keep trying and advise if resolved.

Thanks again

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Contact Hifi Sim support on that. They have issued a new version that will solve that problem and will give you a link to it.

As to FSRealFX Pro, it is giving me the right runway after reloading the AI traffic. I am sure Nadlzfw's suggestion does the same. A puzzle that others aren't experiencing this.

John

Thank you for the suggestion. I contacted them yesterday and they did email me the link to an update. I can now load FSE without the license error message. But now my overcast skies are broken. Yesterday we had overcast and moderate rain here in KDFW. FSE showed the rain but I had partly cloudy skies with a lot of blue sky patches. So now I need to figure this one out. But I don't want to hijack this topic. Thanks again for the help!

Hi Tom,

sorry for trivia but could you please explain this in more detail:

"One good way to reset ATC is to go to the Map, change your heading by one degree, and click OK."

Is it a Shift/S perspective view or going to the map through Icon. Also do not recall seeing any OK click option? Perhaps reloading the flight?

Thanks

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Hi RJ,

Must say that I found the RealWX very realistic until lately I have the wind direction problem. Otherwise the weather loads/changes OK. Curious what weather engine are you using, as you mentioned all is OK at your end?

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

A bug in the FS9 engine? Maybe.

Not really a bug, it is because you are loading the weather after the flight has loaded. I think ATC is designed like that so as to not to change runways on aircraft taxying out.

Anything that reloads the flight will reset ATC. Apart from Tom's suggestion, I made some similar ones earlier. I prefer to have it happen at the press of one key.

Some weather add-ons (such as Active Sky Evolution) will load the weather before the flight starts, avoiding the issue altogether.

John

Hi RJ,

On AI being too close on landings. Tried AISmooth but it did not do the job too well, so currently have reduced AI to 30% only. In case I am cleared for landing and still see aircraft in conflict, just make a circle to avoid go around. Bit of hands on flying helps anyway.

On wind direction.

Just tried all possible suggestions, sequence of loading, IFR, VFR, loading weather before or after, changing direction in map view and still get the same thing -Tower offers the wrong runway. I am thinking if it is not a gauge problem? Since I have most of my panels modified. Basically there seems to be a reverse, takeoff always with wind in the tail. Just want to mention again that this happened suddenly. No problems in the past. Will keep trying to resolve this.

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Hi RJ,

On AI being too close on landings. Tried AISmooth but it did not do the job too well, so currently have reduced AI to 30% only. In case I am cleared for landing and still see aircraft in conflict, just make a circle to avoid go around. Bit of hands on flying helps anyway.

On wind direction.

Just tried all possible suggestions, sequence of loading, IFR, VFR, loading weather before or after, changing direction in map view and still get the same thing -Tower offers the wrong runway. I am thinking if it is not a gauge problem? Since I have most of my panels modified. Basically there seems to be a reverse, takeoff always with wind in the tail. Just want to mention again that this happened suddenly. No problems in the past. Will keep trying to resolve this.

Peter

I agree with Peter. This problem has cropped up recently. Never had the issue before. And all fixes listed in this thread do not work. I have no idea what's wrong but I'll keep at it until I find the issue.

@John, using "Traffic Density Toggle", is this what you're referring too? Does this reset ATC also?

Apologies . . . I set this up so long ago I had forgotten the correct term!

I am using Key T assigned to "Refresh Scenery" in the standard FS assignments. I can't say I notice the scenery noticably reload, so fast is everything on modern computers against the days when FS9 was new.

John