The Flag on aircraft.

ColR1948

I will admit I have made this mistake myself when painting an aircraft.

I used to think that the flag should point the right way on both side of the aircraft, but I just read the reason why it doesn't, which may be of interest to others who think like I did.

For example the US flag normally is displayed with the stars in the left upper corner. Now on aircraft on the port/left hand side this is how it is displayed, but on the starboard/right hand side it is displayed the other way round.

The reason is the aircraft kind of represents a flag pole, so when it is moving the wind will blow the flag in that direction and that is how you would see it.

I also read on US military uniforms the flag is also displayed same way. Like I said above this info is for those who think or thought like i did in turning the flag round, I'm in the UK and didn't know this so no offence to any US simmers and those who already knew.

I'm in the UK and didn't know this so no offence to any US simmers and those who already knew.

You damn Red Coat *shakes fist* :D

Just kidding, man. Yeah, our uniforms have the flag backwards and I read why that was but long forgot. Also, here in the U.S. the word ambulance on the front of the ambulance is backwards. ecnalubmA I believe it's so the mirror in your car sees it the right way.

Also, here in the U.S. the word ambulance on the front of the ambulance is backwards. ecnalubmA I believe it's so the mirror in your car sees it the right way.

Fun story: A guy I knew years ago was Quite A Character, and he owned a beater car that had obvious front-end damage. Bumper was hanging low on one side; hood/bonnet was rusted and a different color from the rest of the car, etc.

One day he stenciled 'Fast Car' on his hood in reverse just like on an ambulance. Large letters; contrasty. Large enough to be seen from any rear-view mirror. And he said from day one people were getting out of his way just like that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Uich gwennen na'wanath ah na dhin,

an uich gwennen na ringyrn ambar hen.

Yes we have AMBULANCE backwards too on the front, I think most people though move out of the way when they see the blue lights flashing or hear the siren long before they can read it.

True story: One time I was taken to hospital from work in an ambulance and one of the guys said, "Don't be alarmed but we are going to put the siren on just to get through traffic, the reason is we are at the end of our shift and want to get finished, plus we want breakfast."