Thread: Taxiing

Default Taxiing

Thank you all for helping me get started on FSX
    Now I am doing the learning missions. I got stuck on the Ground Operations mission. It keeps telling me to slow down and to keep to a speed of X mph. But how am I supposed to know what my speed is? I don't have a speed dial and the throttle on the joystick is not hair sensitive. I try to move it as slowly and gently as possible but either it is going too fast or it stops altogether. What should I do?

A general rule of thumb is "Don't taxi faster than you can walk". That mainly applies to these tutorial type Missions using the ultralight. After being able to complete these tutorials, you'll get the hang of it.
    I do, however, remember that in some of the other Missions, the copilot will let you know that you are taxiing a little to fast. Keep the bigger aircraft around 10 knots when taxiing.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Mr Zippy.
    Thanks for your reply. But how do I know what my speed is if I dont have a speed dial and the copilot tells me to slow down to x mph? And how do I adjust the required speed if the throttle of the joystick is not hair sensitive and either goes too fast or stops altogether regardless of how gently I try to move it?

Quote Originally Posted by halaywi View Post
    Mr Zippy.
    Thanks for your reply. But how do I know what my speed is if I dont have a speed dial and the copilot tells me to slow down to x mph? And how do I adjust the required speed if the throttle of the joystick is not hair sensitive and either goes too fast or stops altogether regardless of how gently I try to move it?
    Have you calibrated your joystick throttle? Keep in mind that when they tell you to slow down, that will not keep you from being successful in completing the Tutorial. Use braking to slow down.

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

The airspeed gauge doesn't register at slow speeds. If you do a SHIFT-Z a couple of lines of red text will show in the upper left corner of the screen. One of several things it shows is airspeed, which with no wind is the same as groundspeed, and reads from zero and 1 on up, rather than starting at 40 or above as typical airspeed indicators on the panel do.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Mr Zippy,
    How do I calibrate the joystick throttle? And how do I use braking?

7. Default

There sure is a speed gauge in the Ultralight. Press shift+1 to see the panel, or, zoom out a bit with the '-' (minus) key so you can see the dashboard in the 3D cockpit.

Quote Originally Posted by halaywi View Post
    Mr Zippy,
    How do I calibrate the joystick throttle? And how do I use braking?
    FSX/Settings/Controls If your joystick has a trigger, that should automatically be set for applying brakes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	calibrate.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	391.0 KB 
ID:	209453
    Last edited by mrzippy; 05-05-2019 at 02:47 PM.

9. Default

Depending on the aircraft, you may have a ground speed indicator.

My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.