Taxiing

halaywi

Thank you all for helping me get started on FSX

Now I am doing the learning missions. I got stuck on the Ground Operations mission. It keeps telling me to slow down and to keep to a speed of X mph. But how am I supposed to know what my speed is? I don't have a speed dial and the throttle on the joystick is not hair sensitive. I try to move it as slowly and gently as possible but either it is going too fast or it stops altogether. What should I do?

A general rule of thumb is "Don't taxi faster than you can walk". That mainly applies to these tutorial type Missions using the ultralight. After being able to complete these tutorials, you'll get the hang of it.

I do, however, remember that in some of the other Missions, the copilot will let you know that you are taxiing a little to fast. Keep the bigger aircraft around 10 knots when taxiing.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Mr Zippy.

Thanks for your reply. But how do I know what my speed is if I dont have a speed dial and the copilot tells me to slow down to x mph? And how do I adjust the required speed if the throttle of the joystick is not hair sensitive and either goes too fast or stops altogether regardless of how gently I try to move it?

Mr Zippy.

Thanks for your reply. But how do I know what my speed is if I dont have a speed dial and the copilot tells me to slow down to x mph? And how do I adjust the required speed if the throttle of the joystick is not hair sensitive and either goes too fast or stops altogether regardless of how gently I try to move it?

Have you calibrated your joystick throttle? Keep in mind that when they tell you to slow down, that will not keep you from being successful in completing the Tutorial. Use braking to slow down.

The airspeed gauge doesn't register at slow speeds. If you do a SHIFT-Z a couple of lines of red text will show in the upper left corner of the screen. One of several things it shows is airspeed, which with no wind is the same as groundspeed, and reads from zero and 1 on up, rather than starting at 40 or above as typical airspeed indicators on the panel do.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Mr Zippy,

How do I calibrate the joystick throttle? And how do I use braking?

FSX/Settings/Controls If your joystick has a trigger, that should automatically be set for applying brakes.

calibrate.JPG

Edited by mrzippy