Good FS computer? Good price?

Restarting the hobby, looking for a new computer.

If this is FS-only computer, good choice? (maybe a racing game or two runs on it, too, but no other gaming or productivity or design software)

And would this run a 4K monitor pretty well?

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Alienware-Desktop-i7-8700K-AWAUR7-7066SLV-PUS/dp/B07K3PXZNB/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=alienware&qid=1556582411&s=gateway&sr=8-6

That will be fine for today's demanding flightsims, and it will drive a 4k monitor. You will probably soon wish you had a larger SSD, but another can be added later.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

For fs only i'd think a gtx1060, 70, or 80 would be plenty good enough. (i assume those will all do 4k. (but am not sure, so check.)

You also would probably like a larger ssd. Addon scenery can be large in size. Although some addon scenery can also be installed on a second disk instead and activated in fsx (use ssd also). (am not sure if you can install Orbx scenery anywhere or if that installer insists on installing inside fsx folder.)

i have not looked at the mainboard and case and such. Make sure the mainboard has plenty connectors for extra harddisks and such that you may need. (specifications for pre-built pc mainboards can be hard to find. Look for threads of users that asked:

'this pc name' how do I add harddisk

(search on Google or such).

Also search how many fans can be connected for cooling.

And search if you can use an: ATX size power supply. The common size you can buy everywhere. So you can replace it if it fails.

Sometimes power supplies on prebuilts are underpowered to begin with. And it's always good idea to be able to replace it if needed.

Having a specific "dell/hp/etc model power supply is a bad idea. If it fails after 5 years dell/hp/etc may not sell that model PSU any more!!

----

that 2080 card would probably be for XPlane better then the 1080. (more VideoRAM (Vram).

But for fsx I think the 1080 would be more then plenty.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Seems like a good price for all that as I've always thought Alienware was a bit overpriced (in part due to their eye candy PC towers). But get a 500gig SSD now rather than later.

And, welcome back to to our little virtual hobby...

'...only 1 display port. You will need to buy an HDMI to usb type c to connect a monitor'. No keyboard? No mouse? Look at my specs. Get that and you won't be sorry. The key is Turbo Boost by pc (3.5 to 3.87) AND Ram being Dual Channel Kit (not odd ball pair), and with no need for liquid cooling. i7 runs cooler that other CPU's. Get a wireless kb and mouse. You don't need 4k for Flt Sims. I built my PC from parts I bought at a local PC store (NOT BESTBUY) and saved a lot of money. It's 6 yrs old and still jams!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

• 1 month later...

I'm currently looking at the following barebones computer and wondering if it will work well with all of the main add-ons: https://www.portatech.com/products/product.cshtml?id=57374&o=92334

As you will notice, i think I'm going to choose the i7-8700. It doesn't look like I would gain much more performance with an 8700k, and it looks like it runs hotter. I also don't know how to overclock nor do I really want to. For my GPU, I want to get the Geforce GTX1660 - 6 GB. Ram, I will probably go with 16 GB - DDR4-2666. I already have a 500 GB SSD. Will I be happy running P3D 4.5 w/ add-ons? I'm also not sure which power supply I need. Any comments, much appeciated!

Jack T.

MSI Z370 SLI Plus, i7-9700k, 32 Gb DDR4 3600 MHz memory, PNY RTX 4070Ti