Iwo-Jima night mission: Martin PBM 5A Mariner (FSX)

Here's the story: After the Dutch Marine lost the battle at the Java Sea, the "leftovers" joined the American forces to fight the Japanese. This Mariner was assigned to investigate the situation at sea near Iwo-Jima, 2 American destroyers attacked a Japanese armed cargo ship, it's on fire but still floating. the Dutch will have closer look and will report about this ship.

FSX Gold edition incl. Acceleration

Freeware Alpha Martin PBM-5 Mariner

Freeware Iwo-Jima WW2 scenery

Freeware Drzewiecki Grass textures

Pleas click on the pics to enlarge

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

The burning ship is in sight

09.jpg

The plane has also a reasonable VC

10.jpg

The Japanese cargo ship and the 2 US destroyers are clearly visible now

11.jpg

The ship is completely on fire, explosions are visible

12.jpg

Edited by peer01
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Please click on the pics to enlarge:

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Looks like the destroyers did a good job, this vessel is abandoned and will sink any minute with all these explosions..

21.jpg

Back to Iwo-Jima as fast as we can.......

22.jpg

I hope you liked plane and scenery.

GREETS! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The battle on the Java Sea was in 1942. The Dutch tried to protect their Colonies (Indonesia) as the British tried to protect their territories. Not very succesfull......

Yes, that way I understand. That was after Pearl Harbour, and then you made a ellipse in time down to 1945! :cool:

I was thinking on the other hand: your colonies were at the other end of the world, weren't they (compared, for example, to our North Africa, for example)

Edited by flightsimg
Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Yes, that way I understand. That was after Pearl Harbour, and then you made a ellipse in time down to 1945! :cool:

I was thinking on the other hand: your colonies were at the other end of the world, weren't they (compared, for example, to our North Africa, for example)

Hi G'erard,

This old US Marine Corps veteran finds your questions interesting and frankly disappointing. Iwo Jima was one of the signature battles of WWII in the Pacific Theater. The primary combatants were the US Marine Corps and the Japanese. Though both sides had help from their allies.

If you've ever seen a statue of US Marines raising a somewhat tilted American Flag, that statue is based on what actually happened on Iwo Jima. The Pacific Islands were a huge blood bath for both the Allies and the Japanese. But we had to control the islands to ever defeat Japan.

I know many if not, most folks in Europe don't even think about the war in the Pacific as being a part of WWII. But in the long term history of this world the Pacific Theater is at least as important as the battles in the European Theater.

You might search out a history book concerning the Pacific Theater. What you find there should inform you about the risks to Western Civilization as we know it, including in Europe, had we lost in the Pacific Theater!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Of course, I'm knowledgeable about the Pacific theater of ops during WWII. Strictly, I didn't remember exactly that Iwo-Jima was the place to that famed photograph of the U.S. flag raised by Marines

And sure that nationalist Japanese were allies to Nazi Germans, and with no win there and there :) we likely would still be exploited working for Ford, Krupp, Wendel and others big firms! :)

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

OMG JAN!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Your picture truly represents the debt we all owe to those troops who helped keep the entire world free in WWII!! And that was true in the Pacific Front as well as the European front! TBTG I missed serving at that time! But with the Grace Of God I hope how I served in combat in the 60's hopefully also helped to keep the world free as well!!

Michael Cowan USMC Chopper Pilot, Bronze Star with Combat V, 26 Air Medals, 2 Purple Hearts. And now a 100% combat disabled veteran.

G'erard I hope you understand none of us are dumping on you! You are way too young to know what happened long before you were born! Sad to say, many in Europe today obviously aren't taught how important the Pacific Front was to maintain the word as we now enjoy it!

Despite what you may have be told in school, the European Front was no more or less important to the world we now live in than the Pacific Front!!

Although France didn't fight as far as I can tell in Europe or anywhere else in the worlde during WWII, France as we know it would have also been destroyed had we/all lost the war on the Pacific Front and frankly the European Front as well!!!!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Yes, France -- the Gaullists excepted -- didn't fight much in WWII, except at the beginning of it, in May-June 1940. That was because we had already lost much at WWI

On the other hand, WW2 was also the passage from industrialism to the current branches of communism, and I'm not that much enthusiastic to the fact that we got 'between Scylla and Charybdis.' All that with honest people betrayed and manipulated because they believed in their homeland

also check that picture I published on Twitter. Something is bothering me (Iwo Jima//Chinese monument). I don't like manipulations :)

Sans titre.png

In the Soviet Union they talked a lot, as America did not want to open a second front, hinting that this was done on purpose so that more Soviet soldiers and people living in the USSR would die. And practically, nothing was said about the war that the United States waged with Japan. But it was the struggle of America against Japan that saved the Soviet Union from the war on two fronts. This made it possible to remove the divisions from the Far East and transfer them to the western front when it was especially difficult there ...

(Translation to English done using Google translator)

Edited by Stromer

Really enjoyed the aircraft and scenery! Thanks for all the historical input from everyone. I enjoy reading those!

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]