iBUYPOWER Pro Gaming PC Computer Desktop Intel i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 GHz,

GeForce RTX 2070 8GB,

16GB DDR4 RAM,

1TB HDD, 240GB SSD,

Z370,

Liquid Cooling,

Wifi Ready,

Win 10 Home 64-bit (TRACE 9240 Black)

One concern is it comes with W10 and I have heard about some issues with that. That aside, I do have about 17 usb plugins with all of my hardware for my cockpit plus a gaming chair.

What do you guys think performance wise with this computer...sliders all to the right smooth as butter?

Clipboard02x.png

My current one

Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell Quad-Core 4GHz LGA 1150

Samsung 840 EVO Series MZ-7TE500BW 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD Single Unit Version

DDR3 SDRAM (2133 MHz)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti

ASUS Z97-PRO WI-FI AC ATX LGA1150 DDR3 3PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 CrossFireX/SLI SATA3 USB3.0 HDMI

Corsair vengence blue 8GB 2x4GB DDR3 1600 CL9

Edited by vrpilot

Amazon.ca

THE NEW ONE

GeForce RTX 2070 8GB,

16GB DDR4 RAM,

1TB HDD, 240GB SSD,

Z370,

Liquid Cooling,

Wifi Ready,

One concern is it comes with W10 and I have heard about some issues with that. That aside, I do have about 17 usb plugins with all of my hardware for my cockpit plus a gaming chair.

What do you guys think performance wise with this computer...sliders all to the right smooth as butter?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]209394[/ATTACH]

My current one

Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell Quad-Core 4GHz LGA 1150

Samsung 840 EVO Series MZ-7TE500BW 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD Single Unit Version

DDR3 SDRAM (2133 MHz)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti

ASUS Z97-PRO WI-FI AC ATX LGA1150 DDR3 3PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 CrossFireX/SLI SATA3 USB3.0 HDMI

Corsair vengence blue 8GB 2x4GB DDR3 1600 CL9

If you are talking fps then its all about single core performance with FSX. As your new i9 is about 25% faster on a single core then if you are lucky you will get the same increase in frames from your current system. But your new i9 should also be able to be overclocked to well beyond 4ghz so that should help too.

I'm no expert and hopefully someone more tech savvy will chip in but that's my take on it.

Nice setup either way !

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

GeForce RTX 2070 8GB,

16GB DDR4 RAM,

1TB HDD, 240GB SSD,

Z370,

Liquid Cooling,

Wifi Ready,

Stinger made some really good points. :pilot:

Let's review what you've posted so far.

The CPU looks good IF you have other plans to use those extra cores.

If you're planning to play some newer games or to start streaming, its fine. If you're planning to only run FSX its over-kill.

Try to not get into a situation where you're buying software to justify buying the new hardware.

The GPU/video is overkill, but that's a good thing. :cool: If you're happy with your current video card and monitor resolution, think about hanging onto your current GPU as a back-up. Believe it or not, I'd rate the new GPU as a "push". You can use it but if you're planning to crank up the resolution MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MONITOR(S) THAT CAN SUPPORT IT.

Liquid cooling on this system is puzzling. :confused:

It shouldn't need it in the first place. It also requires periodic upkeep and maintenance, so I don't get why its included.

Win10/64 bit: I run it and I don't mind it. Just give yourself a week or two to get used to it. Win 10 has its quirks but its also rock-solid, so there are some trade-offs but overall its fine and I really don't think about it.

So, my big question would be if you really NEED this hardware? If you're OK with the price then order it. Just be aware that liquid cooling can be a headache, especially when it starts to leak. :rolleyes:

You could also keep shopping and check out some i5 and i7 systems. Again, your CPU clock speed is the biggest deal in terms of FS.

New hardware is still new hardware, even if its been sitting on a shelf for several years. If you can get a much better deal on an older system because they want to get rid of it, I'd really think twice about it.

Liquid cooling on this system is puzzling. :confused:

It shouldn't need it in the first place. It also requires periodic upkeep and maintenance, so I don't get why its included.

Looks like a closed loop liquid cooling system, which don't require maintenance. Some can provide better cooling than an air cooled setup, but it does depend on the system.

Thanks everyone for the information. I have just ordered 2 powered usb ports to see if I can get my current sim up and running again...right now it is being very sluggish and my panels are not booting up. If I can't get it working I might try a fresh install first...arg so much involved with that lol.

Thanks everyone for the information. I have just ordered 2 powered usb ports to see if I can get my current sim up and running again...right now it is being very sluggish and my panels are not booting up. If I can't get it working I might try a fresh install first...arg so much involved with that lol.

Or I might say f it for the hardware and go VR with flyinside or Aerofly fs2...

Looks like a closed loop liquid cooling system, which don't require maintenance. Some can provide better cooling than an air cooled setup, but it does depend on the system.

If its got liquid in it, its going to leak someday. ;)

A lot of this comes down to what you need vs what you are willing to spend.

I don't replace desktops frequently, I tend to buy hardware based on how I plan to use it.

I also post mainly in the FS2002 forum, so you can read a lot into that. :pilot:

The system I'm running now has an i3 CPU clocked at 3.7-ish Ghz and Win10, 64 bit.

In my case, I wanted a system I could run for at least 6-8 years as a "daily driver". Forums and YouTube plus my older games.

I'm really happy with the i3 chip. I wound up dropping in a fairly cheap ($40 US) fanless GPU because I wanted the better display options, not because I needed it. I'm happy running a 25" monitor at 1920X1080, 60Hz.

What was funny was that when I was shopping for this desktop, I had to "build down" my expectations.

There was a lot of hardware I checked out that would be cool, but I would never use it.

So, I wound up with this rig a couple of years ago and dropped something like $400 US on it, a lot less than what I planned to spend.

VR sounds cool, but I'm mostly blind in one eye. If you can figure out a way around that hurdle, talk to me. :)

I have an i7 7700K, air-cooled and overclocked to 4.66 GHz, and it runs very sweet.

If you get a quad- or more-cored CPU, then you have to decide whether you are going to use hyperthreading or not, and then add the correct AffinityMask value in the FSX.CFG file. For calculating that value, google AffinityMask calculator.

A high-powered graphics card is nice (wish I could afford one, but my GTX 960 is good enouigh), but not that necessary in FSX. If you might consider at one point going to P3D, then that sim makes better use of the graphics card than FSX does.

Also, the DDR4 RAM you're going to get, make that as fast as possible and still compatible with your motherboard's BIOS. You may have to upgrade the BIOS. Again, keeping the possibility of P3D in mind, you might want more than 16 GB.

There are no conflicts at all between FSX and Windows 10. But you have to take control of Windows 10, that is make it update when you want, get rid of all the bloatware and "features" that Microsoft thinks you need (for instance the resource-grabber Cortana), then it will work just fine.

Jorgen