Aircraft lights problem

Pyt02

Goodmorning everyone,

recently, i've downloaded an aircraft called "b7378pn3" (B737-800), and i've also downloaded a panel for this aircraft.

As soon as I had installed the panel, I noticed some problems with the aircraft's lights; for instance, with the new panel, the beacon lights on the aircraft don't turn on, the navigation light are disproportionately big and the tail and strobo lights don't work properly (the tail light don't work and the strobo lights have several issue).

I've tried to check some parameters of the aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg to try to understand the problem, because I can't see a connection between the aircraft's lights and installing a new panel.

I hope that someone can help me!

Thank You in advance.

Pietro

Well, thanks mrzippy for the quick reply.

So with the original panel, the lights work perfectly. For instance, when I turn on the beacon light from the cockpit, in the aircraft the beacon light turns on and works well. And for all the lights, with the original panel, is the same situation; I turn on a light from the cockpit, and the light in the aircraft turns on (it's proportionate, it blinks correctly (e.g. strobo light) and all the rest). So with the original panel I haven't got any type of problem.

With an "external" panel, I've got the issue described on the original post: disproportionate lights, some lights remain off (beacon) and other type of problems.

Thanks in advance.

Pietro.

If that panel was not designed specifically for that aircraft model it may require a bit of tweaking.

Light size is controlled either in the model files, which you cannot alter, or in the cfg files, which you can. Does your add-on panel include any cfg edits?

As for switches not functioning normally, that could also be a cfg edit as switch assignments can be made there.

This thread may help - https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?67542-Wing-Tip-Light-Size

Your problem sounds odd.

1) Firstly, I would revert to the old (original) panel. If that works OK, then you can assume nothing in the main guts of the flight sim has been permanently broken. Then reinstall the new panel. If the problem returns, then you can assume it is indeed something to do with the panel.

2) Next I would try turning an affected light on/off from a panel switch (assuming there is one), and then from the keyboard. Is there a difference in the light behaviour between the two activation methods? If it works OK on the keyboard and not the panel switch, then that points to the panel switch doing some strange stuff.

3) After making a backup copy, I would then slash out ( // ) the panel switch in the panel.cfg file, and replace it with a panel switch from the panel.cfg file of another aircraft and see if that works. Use the same gauge number as the original. The switch will be in the wrong place on the panel, and may look odd – doesn’t matter, you just want to ascertain if it works.

4) If the replacement switch works, then that points to the problem being with the switch on the new panel.

5) If 4) is true, then the fun starts. If the panel switch gauge (yes, it is a gauge) is an xml file, then you can easily get into it using something as simple as notepad. Finding and fixing the issue is a whole new ball game, but I’m sure there would be plenty of volunteers popping out of the Flightsim.com woodwork. 

The bad news is that I haven’t fiddled with panels and gauges and stuff for a couple of years, and the above is written using what little functional memory I have. That said, if the above is rubbish, someone out there will surely correct me . . .

Cheers,

Grae

Hi jgf, thank you for the reply!

So, my add-on panel has got a "Panel.cfg" file so, as you said, I can modify some values.

Well, I try modify something also taking a look at the post that you linked.

Thank you, I'll let you know as soon as possible.

Pietro

Thanks whitegn for the reply.

Anyhow, I'd like to say that this problem occurs when I install an external panel in every aircraft replacing the original panel, not only in this case. And the problem is always the same!

Pyt02- You say this happens to every aircraft that you try replacing the panel? I see you are using

FS2004, are the panels you are trying to use also 2004 panels? Been a long time since I used FS2004, but I think if you try to use panels and sound outside of your program, most likely it will create problems. I run FSX, but FSX allows some flexibility in being able to also use FS2004 downloads (but not the other way), BUT, there are some of those downloads which won't cooperate with using the 2004 panels/sound folders!

Sorry, if you have already considered this as a problem. I've been reading the replies and when you said it happens to all aircraft you are wanting to replace the panel, my mind started asking myself, WHY?

Anyway, hope you find your answer soon! Can be frustrating, I am sure!

Rick :cool:

Thanks whitegn for the reply.

Anyhow, I'd like to say that this problem occurs when I install an external panel in every aircraft replacing the original panel, not only in this case. And the problem is always the same!

“All external panels” – OK that pretty much destroys my theory of a possibly dodgy switch. Move on to Donwind66’s line of thought on having FS2004 stuff outside of FS2004.

For starters, can you explain exactly what you mean by an “external” panel?

Grae

Pyt02 - You said you downloaded the aircraft b7378pn3, but when I do a search on that, that is the file name for the panel. When Mr Zippy asked you what the lights did using the original panel, you stated that all the lights worked perfectly.

Sounds to me like the panel that you are striking out on all replacements, is incompatible in one way or the other. My suggestion to you, either go back to the original panel(s) or try another Add-on panel. The one you are trying obviously isn't going to work.

Another thing you should do. Go in on the download for the panel b7378pn3 and you will find an area where you can make comments as to your issues, good or bad with trying to use this panel! Maybe someone else or the developer will also add their comments?

Good luck and remember, what is nice about freeware downloads, you occasionally come across items, aircraft, panel, etc that play hard to get. The "Good News," forget about them and file 13 the download and move on to another until you find the one that works for your needs!

Have a nice day! - Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

“All external panels” – OK that pretty much destroys my theory of a possibly dodgy switch. Move on to Donwind66’s line of thought on having FS2004 stuff outside of FS2004.

For starters, can you explain exactly what you mean by an “external” panel?

Grae

I wanted to say that this problem occurs when I install any add-on panel for any aircraft.

Pyt02- You say this happens to every aircraft that you try replacing the panel? I see you are using

FS2004, are the panels you are trying to use also 2004 panels? Been a long time since I used FS2004, but I think if you try to use panels and sound outside of your program, most likely it will create problems. I run FSX, but FSX allows some flexibility in being able to also use FS2004 downloads (but not the other way), BUT, there are some of those downloads which won't cooperate with using the 2004 panels/sound folders!

Sorry, if you have already considered this as a problem. I've been reading the replies and when you said it happens to all aircraft you are wanting to replace the panel, my mind started asking myself, WHY?

Anyway, hope you find your answer soon! Can be frustrating, I am sure!

Rick :cool:

Hi,

Yes of course, I always make sure that a panel has done for FS2004 and for the aircraft that I've installed. In fact, I'm rather shocked too!

Pyt02 - You said you downloaded the aircraft b7378pn3, but when I do a search on that, that is the file name for the panel. When Mr Zippy asked you what the lights did using the original panel, you stated that all the lights worked perfectly.

Sounds to me like the panel that you are striking out on all replacements, is incompatible in one way or the other. My suggestion to you, either go back to the original panel(s) or try another Add-on panel. The one you are trying obviously isn't going to work.

Another thing you should do. Go in on the download for the panel b7378pn3 and you will find an area where you can make comments as to your issues, good or bad with trying to use this panel! Maybe someone else or the developer will also add their comments?

Good luck and remember, what is nice about freeware downloads, you occasionally come across items, aircraft, panel, etc that play hard to get. The "Good News," forget about them and file 13 the download and move on to another until you find the one that works for your needs!

Have a nice day! - Rick :cool:

Hi, I've already tried to contact the panel's developer, as soon as the problem has occured, but I haven't received any answer yet.

Anyway, I'll try to replace this panel with another one with the hope that It won't give problems but, as I've already said, this problems occurs with any add-on panel in any aircraft... :(

Sorry, Pietro, it has me baffled as well. Granted, I am running FSX, and I move panels around all the time, and have not had the issues you are having! You say any panel to any aircraft, gives you problems, so why is the aircraft you are wanting to use the panel on, unique, and it works with it's original panel?

Just questions going thru my mind! I wish you well, for sure. I don't know what the developer will tell you, even if he does respond back?

Good luck Pietro! Rick :cool:

If this is happening with any replacement panel you use I suspect your install procedure. I always rename the original panel folder (to panel_ori) then add the new panel in its own panel folder; if the new panel requires any files from the old I copy them to the new folder. If the new panel includes custom gauges they can be placed in the new panel folder also, or in the FS9/gauges folder; move only the gauge files, you do not want "FS9/gauges/gauges" or "panel/gauges".

If the problems occur with any add-on panel in any aircraft, then I would suggest the problem is NOT with the add-on panels. I would guess that there is something messed up in your installation of FS2004, or it is something you are doing wrong when adding the panels. I have no idea what the problem or the answer may be.

Grae

Pyt02- Which aircraft are you putting this panel into? Is it TDS, HJG, Vista etc. If it is a TDS aircraft then to need to read the instructions very carefully. You will need to make some additions to the panel config file and adding files that come with the original panel. These are normally TDS Utility file and Tds737ADVCONTROL file. The might be others as well. Without these files in your panel and the alteration to the panel config file your lights will not work. this provided you are using a TDS Boeing 737. Let me know if this has helped you. If not I would like to get a little more information on the aircraft you are changing the panel in. I have already got the panel you are using in my downloads.

Pyt02- Which aircraft are you putting this panel into? Is it TDS, HJG, Vista etc. If it is a TDS aircraft then to need to read the instructions very carefully. You will need to make some additions to the panel config file and adding files that come with the original panel. These are normally TDS Utility file and Tds737ADVCONTROL file. The might be others as well. Without these files in your panel and the alteration to the panel config file your lights will not work. this provided you are using a TDS Boeing 737. Let me know if this has helped you. If not I would like to get a little more information on the aircraft you are changing the panel in. I have already got the panel you are using in my downloads.

Hi, thanks for the reply!

anyway yes, this problem occurs when I try to put any add-on panel into a TDS aircraft.

I've noticed that this problem doesn't occur when I put an add-on panel into an other aircraft (not a TDS).

So, can you explain me exactly the steps to do to solve this annoying problem with these TDS aircraft?

Thanks again,

Pietro

Hello Pyt02.

The good news is that I installed the panel you want to use into a TDS Boeing 737-800 and it works perfectly.

So lets see if I am able to tell what you have to do.

First of all open the panel config file of the panel you want to install and make sure you include everything as below.

[Window Titles]

Window00=main

Window01=GPS

Window02=Mini Panel

Window03=Magnif

Window04=AI TRAFFIC

Window05=Posky_Debug

Window06=Utility

Then add the following under Windows 4 in the same panel.

[Window05]

VISIBLE=0

position=2

size_mm=450,200

child_3d=0

background_color=0,0,0

ident=TDSDEBUG

gauge00=Tds737ADVCONTROL!Tdsdebug, 0, 0

gauge01=Tds737ADVCONTROL!Tdsdebug2, 0, 50

gauge02=Tds737ADVCONTROL!Tdsdebug3, 0, 100

[Window06]

VISIBLE=0

position=2

size_mm=298,104

child_3d=0

background_color=0,0,0

ident=Utility

gauge00=Tds_util!Tds_Init, 0, 0

gauge01=Tds_util!Tds_Timer, 0, 0

gauge02=Tds_util!Tds_Util, 0, 0

Right under that add the following.

[VCockpit01]

size_mm=512,512

pixel_size=512,512

texture=$Posky_ACU

background_color=0,0,0

gauge00=Tds737ADVCONTROL!Tds_AdvInit, 140,80,140,80

gauge01=Tds737ADVCONTROL!TdsAUX, 140,80,140,80

gauge02=Tds737ADVCONTROL!TdsRudder_Elev, 140,80,140,80

gauge03=Tds737ADVCONTROL!TdsEngRev, 140,80,140,80

gauge04=Tds737ADVCONTROL!TdsWingflex, 140,80,140,80

gauge05=Tds737ADVCONTROL!TdsNosegearsteerling, 140,80,140,80

gauge06=Tds737ADVCONTROL!Tds_Spoiler, 140,80,140,80

gauge07=Tds737ADVCONTROL!Tdsflasher, 140,80,140,80

gauge08=Tds737ADVCONTROL!TdsSEA, 140,80,140,80

gauge09=Tds737ADVCONTROL!Tdsgearheight, 140,80,140,80

[VCockpit02]

size_mm=512,512

pixel_size=512,512

texture=$EXTANIMBASE

background_color=0,0,0

gauge00=EXT_TEXTURE_ANIM!EXTTEST, 0, 0, 512, 512

Then save and close the panel config file.

You will notice in the original panel that came with the aircraft you had 3 yellow folders.

TDS_util

Tds737ADVCONTROL

EXT_TEXTURE_ANIM

Copy and paste these 3 folders to the new panel folder. This is extremely important. Without them your lights will not work.

Open up the aircraft and go to views, instrument panel and there should be a heading called utility in the drop down. Tick it and then go back tour aircraft. You should then see a bit of TDS magic. A stunning utility in the panel which puts all of your lights on and off plus many other things. Good luck and let me know how you go.

• 2 weeks later...