Newbie having trouble getting started

I've got a new and fairly robust gaming computer with a yokestick. I recently purchased Flightgear 2018.3 and I can't get off the ground with the Cessna 172p. Hitting 'b' does not release brakes most of the time. Nor does using the , or . do anything for differential braking. On the few times 'b' did release the Cessa veered off to the left and was not controllable. Not sure if the problem is my PC or lack of knowledge. I'm not exactly a newbie to flight sims having had earlier versions and didn't have these kind of issues. Sure could use some directions to a location where I can find some basics that work. I did look up basics in help for this version and nothing worked to release the brakes.

I've got a new and fairly robust gaming computer with a yokestick. I recently purchased Flightgear 2018.3 and I can't get off the ground with the Cessna 172p. Hitting 'b' does not release brakes most of the time. Nor does using the , or . do anything for differential braking. On the few times 'b' did release the Cessa veered off to the left and was not controllable. Not sure if the problem is my PC or lack of knowledge. I'm not exactly a newbie to flight sims having had earlier versions and didn't have these kind of issues. Sure could use some directions to a location where I can find some basics that work. I did look up basics in help for this version and nothing worked to release the brakes.
Hi,

My instant advice would be to not bother with Flightgear and get yourself either FSX(steam edition), X plane 11, or P3d depending on your budget and computer specs. Sorry, it is not what you want to hear after spending on Flightgear but infortunately this program is a poor imitation of a modern flight simulator. I would hazard a guess that there will be plenty more who would agree with me.

All the best

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Flightgear is a great game. It's Free Software. Modern and updated regularly. Lot's do addons available for it such as planes, and all Free as well.

The commands are different from Fsx, so that can take some time to get used to.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Flightgear is a great game. It's Free Software. Modern and updated regularly. Lot's do addons available for it such as planes, and all Free as well.

The commands are different from Fsx, so that can take some time to get used to.

Yet the OP recently purchased Flightgear [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It is free. Free to download. Free to use. Free to alter if you want. You're even Free to try selling it to people that don't know you can download and use it for Free.

If if bought it if didn't btw it from flightgear themselves, they only offer it for free. (here: http://home.flightgear.org/download/

)

All addons for it are also Free.

(published under GNU Public Licence, just like the program itself.).

Things like addon planes, and even sometimes planes that you get included by default, are sometimes still under development. Those may not be perfect yet, but are quickly getting there.

Figuring out how to set things up can take time. That's the same with fsx and other sims.

It's a very enjoyable sim/game, and your criticism "inferior" is unjust. What's especially good is the scenery showing objects at distances, in fsx those usually aren't shown to save resources. Also good is the huge variety of aircraft.

Especially with the latest version tire graphics detail has improved a lot as well. Just have a look in the Flightgear forum at the screenshots there.

Also nice btw. With it being Free, you can install it on all your pc's if you want. (even on Linux, Unix, FreeBSD, or Apple computers. It runs on those OS's as well.)

DJF007,

what operating system is flightgear installed on? Windows? Or something else?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]