Should I always start FSX with a default plane?

nrios

Yes, always start FSX with a default plane in the aircraft selection screen.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I've heard that it's a good idea and my default flight IS a default Baron 58 but I also frequently resume a saved flight and that one is frequently NOT a default A/C; I don't see any issues from that but considering how often weird problems crop up for some people, perhaps it is a wise choice to have a default AC in the default flight. It usually takes only a few moments to reload a different plane anyway.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

I don't use FSX much, having moved to P3D, but with both of them I just save my location/aircraft when I'm done, and boot right into the sim next time so I always pick up right where I left off. You don't need to use a default aircraft, or go into the opening screen.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

I don't use FSX much, having moved to P3D, but with both of them I just save my location/aircraft when I'm done, and boot right into the sim next time so I always pick up right where I left off. You don't need to use a default aircraft, or go into the opening screen.

In both sims that will work ONLY with products that only use the default settings and functions.

If you use any addons that use an outside-the-sim functionality you WILL eventually have a problem.

You will not ALWAYS `pick up right where you left off`...

In both sims that will work ONLY with products that only use the default settings and functions.

If you use any addons that use an outside-the-sim functionality you WILL eventually have a problem.

You will not ALWAYS `pick up right where you left off`...

As someone who has been using FSX since its release, and FS2004 prior to it, I have always loaded a user created saved flight at startup. I tend to 'fly' an aircraft for 6-8 weeks before swapping out to another. How I load the new aircraft will depend on if I have flown it before or if it is a new aircraft. If I have flown it before I load the last saved flight for it. If its a new aircraft once it is loaded I always make a saved flight, set as default, for it prior to testing/getting to know it etc.

I have FSX installed on two PCs and use the same practice on both. I rarely use the default aircraft and use a mixture of freeware and payware aircraft of varying complexity, including some that use an outside-the-sim functionality.

Now, maybe I have been lucky but I have NEVER had an issue with this practice.

Like with many other issues that can be experienced with FSX, and other sims, not all users will experience the issues. Some will have a trouble free experience whilst others seem to get no end of issues.

Perhaps its more prudent to state that 'you MAY eventually have a problem' and 'You will MAY NOT ALWAYS `pick up right where you left off`...

Edited by longbreak754
Added additional text in BOLD

Regards

Brian

Your own saved startup flight can contain a fault. The startup flight gets pre-loaded each time you start FSX. Even after then selecting a different plane, location, etc and clicking "Fly Now" the faults that were in the preloaded flight will still be present in the flight you start. They will therefore be in every flight from then on.

The only way to fix that is by restoring the default startup flight. (see link in my first post in this thread on how to restore the default flight.).

I and many others have helped loads of people on this forum already by giving that advice. It's quite common for people to mess up the startup flight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Your own saved startup flight can contain a fault. The startup flight gets pre-loaded each time you start FSX. Even after then selecting a different plane, location, etc and clicking "Fly Now" the faults that were in the preloaded flight will still be present in the flight you start. They will therefore be in every flight from then on.

The only way to fix that is by restoring the default startup flight. (see link in my first post in this thread on how to restore the default flight.).

I and many others have helped loads of people on this forum already by giving that advice. It's quite common for people to mess up the startup flight.

If you have a default startup flight set EXACTLY like you want it, then there is no reason (unless you screw it up) to ever change it or revert to the Air Creation trike over Friday Harbor.

It's been my mantra, like forever, NEVER start your default flight and then do all of the switching around.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

During a flight a plane amasses errors.

Gauges can get stuck.

Also, not everything can be switched off with the switches. Some things get switched off with a keyboard shortcut. Leading to settings you don't see.

All that can lead to problems. And if you land, don't notice the issue, and save the flight "as default" that fault will be in every flight from then on.

Yes, after a week of trouble shooting you may find what invisible controll is keeping the plane from starting. (For example "Master Generator/Alternator On/Offf" (a switch that is not visible in any plane, but available in all through a keyboard shortcut you may have accidenetally pressed.)) (mixture full lean will prevent your boeing from starting, without any mixture handle showing you the mixture is the issue.)

Why trouble shoot to find that hidden problem for a week, if you can fix it in two seconds.

Close FSX

open the FSX.cfg file

change the line:

situation="whatever it says there"

to

Situation=

close and save the FSX.cfg file

and start FSX.

Simpe, effective.

You think you personally can't live without a personal startup flight. Fine. Set it up all you want again after that.

Tell others how to do it too to if you like, fine, as you wish.

Just don't deny these fault occur. And make sure that when you tell people to set up a personal flight, to also tell them how to fix it.

Maybe by the time you have been in this forum as long as MrZippy or Longbreak you don't ever make mistakes any more. But not everybody has been playing this game that long.:D

Happy Flights!:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Since time immemorial people everywhere, in all counties, of all races (even pigmies) are prone to 'deny...deny...deny' a mirad of 'thuths' that the older wise men assert. And it's not due or limited to youth, or male -vs- female, or educated -vs- illiterate. It's just part of the human nature.

The wise man will assert that the mule has gray hair which, naturally, contradicts what people are saying. THEY say that it has light brown hair. Even when the wise man has a hand full of the mule's hair in his hand. Why? You tell me. But it happens. And it's epic. And then the 6 yr old says it has hair like grandpa's and they all laugh but nothing is EVER settled. It still has xxx color hair - to some. To others it has xxx color hair. So (with some people) you can argue a point till the cows come home but to no avail. What can you do!#Cheesh.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).