Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should I always start FSX with a default plane?

Default Should I always start FSX with a default plane?

Or is it okay to use an add-on plane? Thank you.

Yes, always start FSX with a default plane in the aircraft selection screen.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.2GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 16Gb 3500MHz Ram, 1TB & 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Asus K272HL 27" Monitor, Windows 7 x64

Blog Entries

I've heard that it's a good idea and my default flight IS a default Baron 58 but I also frequently resume a saved flight and that one is frequently NOT a default A/C; I don't see any issues from that but considering how often weird problems crop up for some people, perhaps it is a wise choice to have a default AC in the default flight. It usually takes only a few moments to reload a different plane anyway.

Loyd
    Hooked since FS4... now flying:
    self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;
    quiet, fast and cool running.
    Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;
    Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games
    A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Quote Originally Posted by nrios View Post
    Or is it okay to use an add-on plane? Thank you.
    Yes. OR use the scenario window and DONT boot straight into the sim

5. Default

See in this thread what can happen if you set up a different startup flight (with any plane btw) then the default one (Ultralight over Friday Harbor). Also a link in the thread to info on how to fix the issue:
    https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...for-all-planes

I always start FSX with the PMDG B747 and have never had the slightest problem.

Ignorance is bliss!

I always start with add-on aircraft - in fact I hardly ever use the default aircraft.

I don't use FSX much, having moved to P3D, but with both of them I just save my location/aircraft when I'm done, and boot right into the sim next time so I always pick up right where I left off. You don't need to use a default aircraft, or go into the opening screen.

Quote Originally Posted by andyjohnston View Post
    I don't use FSX much, having moved to P3D, but with both of them I just save my location/aircraft when I'm done, and boot right into the sim next time so I always pick up right where I left off. You don't need to use a default aircraft, or go into the opening screen.
    In both sims that will work ONLY with products that only use the default settings and functions.
    If you use any addons that use an outside-the-sim functionality you WILL eventually have a problem.
    You will not ALWAYS `pick up right where you left off`...

Quote Originally Posted by mallcott View Post
    In both sims that will work ONLY with products that only use the default settings and functions.
    If you use any addons that use an outside-the-sim functionality you WILL eventually have a problem.
    You will not ALWAYS `pick up right where you left off`...
    As someone who has been using FSX since its release, and FS2004 prior to it, I have always loaded a user created saved flight at startup. I tend to 'fly' an aircraft for 6-8 weeks before swapping out to another. How I load the new aircraft will depend on if I have flown it before or if it is a new aircraft. If I have flown it before I load the last saved flight for it. If its a new aircraft once it is loaded I always make a saved flight, set as default, for it prior to testing/getting to know it etc.

I have FSX installed on two PCs and use the same practice on both. I rarely use the default aircraft and use a mixture of freeware and payware aircraft of varying complexity, including some that use an outside-the-sim functionality.

Now, maybe I have been lucky but I have NEVER had an issue with this practice.

Like with many other issues that can be experienced with FSX, and other sims, not all users will experience the issues. Some will have a trouble free experience whilst others seem to get no end of issues.

Perhaps its more prudent to state that 'you MAY eventually have a problem' and 'You will MAY NOT ALWAYS `pick up right where you left off`...
    Last edited by longbreak754; 04-23-2019 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Added additional text in BOLD
    Regards

Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast