Measuring distance and bearing in FSX Map

waterman46

This question is about a capability of the FSX Map in navigation. Assume GPS is not used. How can I find distance and bearing of any point from a VOR using the map in FSX or is there any add-on that can do this?

Background: Setting up for a landing one would like to arrive at the initial approach fix (IAF) without necessarily having the runway in sight. One could fly to this point using distance and bearing from a VOR. The map in FSX, if it had the capability, could be used to determine distance and bearing for any desired IAF or for that matter, any other point on the map you want to go to, since VOR's are all shown on the map. Of course there would be many more uses for such map measurements if it existed.

Use the fsx addon program: PlanG

(have own site) (freeware)

can select various maps for underlying terrain shown. (online maps like OpenMaps and google earth). But shows the fsx airports and VOR's and such as overlay over top of that.)

Has the exact measuring tools you asked about. Can also make a flightplan in PlanG and export it in fsx format to load in Fsx.

Enjoy!:D

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unless you have maps and plotting tools, you're SOL as far as I've been able to find. And if you look for maps, look at small airports to see if one of the locals or the flight school might have old maps laying about. I don't know how much sectional charts have changed since FSX came out, but I imagine quite a bit. The only sectional I have is an Atlanta one. I sometimes practice plotting VFR flights around it, but even in the sim KATL traffic is nervewracking!

Another option would be Airnav.com. The individual airports sometimes list nearby Navigational Aids such as VORs and NDBs and the bearings and distances involved. Not all do. For an example, look up KMQY near Nashville.

The way I do it most often is just plot it out using the flightsim and print out the plan. I wish my electronic E6B was still functional for plotting the wind corrections, but I stored it with batteries in it and now it's dead so I've gone back to REAL basics with the actual E6B my father used when he flew

Dc-3's. Want a challenge? Plot a wind correction angle on that thing, while flying, looking for traffic, talking to ATC, without an autopilot,

and telling the wife that you'll be in for dinner as soon as you land!

I had forgotten about Plan G. I gave it up because I never had time to sit down and dig into it in one sitting.

Waterman46? Ignore what I said... unless you'd like the challenge of an E6B. LoL

Thanks for jogging my memory Il88! Off to read up on it a bit.

I think for bearing/distance the trick is to right-click the map at the point you want to measure from.

Then in the drop-down select "bearing/distance"

Some popup box should then open. It shows the bearing and distance from the point you clicked to where ever you hold the mouse. (move mouse and numbers change with movement.). To get out of that mode left-click or something.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This question is about a capability of the FSX Map in navigation. Assume GPS is not used. How can I find distance and bearing of any point from a VOR using the map in FSX or is there any add-on that can do this?

Background: Setting up for a landing one would like to arrive at the initial approach fix (IAF) without necessarily having the runway in sight. One could fly to this point using distance and bearing from a VOR. The map in FSX, if it had the capability, could be used to determine distance and bearing for any desired IAF or for that matter, any other point on the map you want to go to, since VOR's are all shown on the map. Of course there would be many more uses for such map measurements if it existed.

I created an instrument called " Synthetic ILS " it is available here at the library .

It enables you to select any of the 16 airports nearest to your aircraft , or to enter any airport worldwide that has a 4 character ICAO code .

It then provides , Distance , Bearing , and a Steering arrow to your selected airport regardless of how far away that airport might be .

* The first page enables selection of an airport .

* The second page enables selection of a runway at that airport .

* The third page enables selection of which end of that runway that you wish to land on ,

additionally it provides extensive information about the airport and runway , and full guidance

for approach and landing at a precise touchdown spot on the runway.

Essentially it enables you to to find the airport , then align with the runway and conduct a precision

landing regardless of visibility conditions either day or night .

It also has an " Intercept facility " that enables you to create an Intercept position at any desired distance on your approach axis , this is similar to an (IAF) or (FAF) , it also provides ,

Distance , Bearing , and Steering arrow to that Intercept position .

It also calculates an S-Ht (height above runway elevation) for the intercept position that

puts you at the correct glideslope height so that you know that you have to descend from cruise altitude down to that height to transition exactly on the glideslope at the Intercept .

If you are interested details and some screenshots are shown at the initial post at this link,

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?312954-Synthetic-ILS-instrument-For-every-Runway-at-every-Airport

Cheers

Karol

Edited by COBS

Use the fsx addon program: PlanG

(have own site) (freeware)

can select various maps for underlying terrain shown. (online maps like OpenMaps and google earth). But shows the fsx airports and VOR's and such as overlay over top of that.)

Has the exact measuring tools you asked about. Can also make a flightplan in PlanG and export it in fsx format to load in Fsx.

Enjoy!:D

I found out why I never kept with Plan G. I hit the CONNECT button and it beeps, but never connects to FSX. I'll keep futzing with it tonight and see if I can export a plan to the sim.

I think for bearing/distance the trick is to right-click the map at the point you want to measure from.

Then in the drop-down select "bearing/distance"

Some popup box should then open. It shows the bearing and distance from the point you clicked to where ever you hold the mouse. (move mouse and numbers change with movement.). To get out of that mode left-click or something.

What program are you using? My version of FSX (Steam) does not have this feature. Frankly I find it indefensible that there isn't even a distance scale on the map. Well, I can always just move the airplane symbol around and get Lat-Lon for the VOR and then the point I want to go to, and enter those numbers into a calculation of distance and bearing.

I found the free solution to finding distance and bearing to any desired position, on a map that shows locations of VOR. https://www.iflightplanner.com/AviationCharts/

This great site shows the full aeronautical maps in several views, including the usual "sectional" view as well as a simplified view of NAV aids to assist in locating the VORs. Lets say I want to arrive at initial approach point "IAF" about 10 miles away and on a line extended from the active runway, which will be where I can either pick up ILS or start a visual approach. Two vectors will be needed, one from the runway threshold out to "IAF" and another from the nearest or most convenient VOR in the area to "IAF". Any desired vector distance and bearing can be obtained from the above site.

Click on the map where you want the start of the vector. A window comes up with a waypoint created for you, and it has been given some random name, at the top of the list. The list will also show an exact VOR location, if one is near. Select either the waypoint name or the VOR in that list. Now click the map again where you want the end of this vector (destination). Notice a pop-up box now appears on the left, which shows your first and second points, and bearing and distance between.

Since the map is a reproduction of actual sectional charts, you can also read the VOR's frequency to set your NAV radio. There are a lot of additional features including weather radar and links to satellite and street view - explore!