Thread: Remember this 747?

Default Remember this 747?

This was the inaugural 747 aircraft that flew from the City of Everett, which is now more commonly called Boeing field near Seattle Washington. One of our members, Kenny (liner simpilot) was looking for someone to do a repaint, but I just happened to have run across an old freeware download of this very aircraft. The general public and those who very much wanted to restore this aircraft to be shown at the Boeing museum, all stuck in there and finally did complete this project. I had pics of just how badly this aircraft had deteriorated over the years (don't know where I put them), so the project took lots of manhours and money in restoring this bird to the near perfect condition it was in, when it was flown for the first time. I pull this out of my inventory once in awhile as it is still one of my favorites, just knowing the history behind it! Well, here goes again! Enjoy the flight! Here is one of my original pics I had, but I will try to post some more, if not thru an edit, but an additional post(s)! OH, and if you happen to read this Kenny, here's your 747, still flying! We haven't heard from you lately?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-5-28_9-11-40-549.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	209265

Name:	2019-4-15_20-37-6-319.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	231.9 KB 
ID:	209266

Name:	2019-4-15_20-38-4-701.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	231.9 KB 
ID:	209267

There, "Ain't she pretty?!!" Look at how much smaller the engines were back then!

Rick
    Last edited by Downwind66; 04-15-2019 at 08:43 PM.

Fifty year anniversary for the B747 on February 9!! Wow, where does the time go?

3. Default

Made my first flight on the 747 in 1975 from Chicago to Hawaii. Great shots of the old girl!

Blog Entries

Oh my does that bring back memories! If I remember correctly I did a drawing of that same bird on white cardboard when I was a kid. Between seeing that for the first time, the airplanes flying in and out of a grass strip not too far from where I grew up and my Dad talking about his time in the Air Force was what stirred my passion for aviation. Thanks for the memories!
    Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD
    AS16 + ASCA
    ORBX Global BASE
    ORBX Freeware Airports

Yes, times fly, and the 747 also..... Beautiful pics Sir!

Nice shots, Downwind66! Thanks! Those bygone days seem the best! These days the worn out 747's and other heavies are being flown in to my hometown airport to be "reconstituted," or, more accurately put, disassembled, the parts refurbished and re-sold to be used again on new planes.

Cheers!
    bushp04

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

Yes, bushp04, it is sad to see these work horses scrapped for parts and metal. I read an article not too long ago that whatever 747's were still flying and still in good shape will be restored and re-utilized in the air cargo business. They finally realized that these aircraft were the new age work horses and they were too valuable to put out for scrap! Same as the DC3, they served their time as work horses, still are in many cases. The 747 will continue to serve in the long hauls where the DC3's just aren't cost effective in making the long runs! I wish you had told me that your hometown is seeing less heavies flying in for scrap! I've seen some YouTube videos of aircraft flying in to some of these boneyards, and some still look quite well to be giving them up for scrap! Oh well, what do I know? Just a shame to see them destroyed!

Thanks for your comments to my thread!

Rick