Default F12 key binding

bmatt569

Hi All,

All of a sudden my F12 (top Down view) isn't working. It is now for the screen shot. I've checked the FSX Settings and F12 is set to top down view. Any thoughts?

Bill

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

F12 has been the top-down hotkey for as far back as I can remember. But it is the default STEAM screenshot key - which quit working for me years ago.... even a new install didn't fix it; I've given up hope and continue using the default windows screenshot key "print screen".

The default screenshot was originally 'v'. When I found that Windows photo editor couldn't open the screenshot .bmp files I figured Microsoft needed a new set of left and right hands - I disabled the screenshot key and used a functional after-market screenshot utility (which I still use 12 years later).

Loyd

Edited by llivaudais

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Thanks for replies guys.

Loyd, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I'm using Steam. It makes sense that the F12 key is now the screenshot. My question now, what do I have to do to reassign F12 to the top-down view in FSX Steam. I've got F12 key assignment. But, alas, F12 STILL executes a screenshot.

Bill

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

But, alas, F12 STILL executes a screenshot.

In the Steam Launcher, go to the topmost dropdown menu (the tiniest letters).

Then Steam - Settings - In-Game

h3Sn0JY.png

Here you can either clear or reassign the Steam screenshot key-combo, thus freeing it for your own purpose.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Well, if you still get Steam screenshots, consider yourself lucky; some of us don't get Steam screenies - I used to but not for the last several years and my current screenshot key IS currently set to a different key but (a) I still don't get screen shots and (b) I still can't use F12 either in FSX.

What I did find was that I could assign a different key combo to that function and I got the top-down view back. I used Ctrl+0 (zero) because it was available and reasonably convenient.

While I was messing around I ended up adding the Fly-by and Runways views to a couple of the unused view bindings - but that's a story for another time.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

The way I get 'Top Down' view (without looking for key(s)) is by assigning a JOYSTICK button to 'view change' (A). Then when I am in 'Locked Spot' view I (repeatedly) press the joystick button to cycle thru views (Flyby, TopDown, etc) and then back to Locked Spot view. Too easy?

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: So...the same joystick button will allow you to cycle thru views when you START in 2D panel view, or Right Wing view, etc. The possibilities are endless! Hope this helps.

Edited by napamule2
i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).