Thread: eGPU

1. Default eGPU

I’m running x Plane 11 on a new, fully loaded Mac Mini. The rendering is not optimal. Is there anyone who has tried an eGPU running under OS10.14 (Maverick)?

Do you mean macOS 10.14 Mojave (Mavericks was the code name for 10.9)? I haven't done it myself, however, an eGPU should give you a significant boost in graphics performance over the integrated Intel GPU. It won't be quite as much as adding the same GPU internally would due to the bandwidth limits of the Thunderbolt connection. However, it should still be enough to run with moderate settings, depending on the eGPU you go for.

Have you checked out the eGPU.io website? They have some good info on the different options available and are constantly updating with new ones.

3. Default

I did mean Mojave. Apparently, the ability to use an eGPU is dependent on each application. At least, that’s what the vendors tell me.

It depends on how you are connecting the eGPU and display. If you keep your display directly attached to the Mac, then it is dependent on the software developer to add support. However, connecting the display to the eGPU directly sounds like it should work with all applications.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208544