New to P3D

wji948

I am giving serious consideration to moving to P3Dv4.5, but keeping FSX as well.

My main questions:

I have spent many hours over the years reconfiguring cockpits, modifying panel .BMP files, adding & relocating gauges & autopilots, making changes in the aircraft config files etc. Will I simply be able to copy each airplane folder, one-by-one, over from FSX to P3D and expect that the airplane will operate correctly? Is the syntax used in the programming of the panel and aircraft config files generally the same in P3D as in FSX? Most of my aircraft are freeware from this website. Can a lot of the scenery also be copies over or reinstalled?

Also, will my GoFlight modules still work? I am currently using Windows 10.

Will I simply be able to copy each airplane folder, one-by-one, over from FSX to P3D and expect that the airplane will operate correctly?

No guarantee, but some of them may operate just fine, others won't.

Is the syntax used in the programming of the panel and aircraft config files generally the same in P3D as in FSX?

Generally, yes, though there may be some variations.

Can a lot of the scenery also be copies over or reinstalled?

Some may work OK, much of it may need modification.

Also, will my GoFlight modules still work?

Someone else will have to answer that -- I don't even know what they are.

It's a guarantee that you'll have problems moving some things over, but some stuff may make it OK. So much depends on the specific item though.

But you're in for a lot of changes in how the program is structured, especially in V4.

Others will have more complete information for you.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

You can not - repeat NOT - just copy an aircraft from FSX to P3D v. 4.4 or 4.5 and expect it to work properly. Most likely it will not work and cause the sim to crash, as the gauges probably are compiled as 32-bit, and they will only work if they are 64-bit.

Scenery is probably more tolerant, but there are limitations there also, and I am not sure what they are. Some sceneries can be used in both sims.

GoFlight modules - ask the author/manufacturer or other GoFlight users....

Jorgen

• 2 weeks later...

Much thanks for all the responses.

I am up and flying now in P3D v 4.5. I have added about a dozen freeware aircraft thus far, doing a lot of panel.cfg editing (adding new gauges, moving gauges, etc.). Most is working well, but I have a few issues:

1. Generally, some gauges from FSX work well in P3D v 4.5 and some do not. I presume this is the 32-bit vs 64-bit issue. This just becomes a trial and error thing as I try various gauges.

2. Because my GoFlight modules continue to be unreliable in P3D, I load a particular AutoPilot and Radio Stack in each aircraft. I use the files for these 2 gauges from FSX (which I installed in 250+ planes in FSX). I have been installing these in all my P3D planes (all freeware aircraft). In a few of the planes (WW2-type), these instruments do not seem to power up or function. Are there specific settings in the Aircraft.config file, under [electrical], that I have to change (or have present). Also, the GPS in one of these planes does not light up either so I am wondering what kind of issue this is.

Final comment - as a real-world pilot, and having 75,000 hrs logged on FSX over the past 10 years, I am not that "dazzled" with P3D thus far. Many interesting features (which I will likely never use), but I do not see great differences in the day-to-day things I do with a flight simulator, so we will see. I am keeping an open mind, since I spent $200 for this simulator.

One major difference - P3D is still growing and not a stagnant entity.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

I must be one of the lucky ones then - I have had no real issues with 4.4 or 4.5. I don't get stutters. I don't get CTD's and it looks fantastic. of course, I don't load every bit of crap that is sold on it and then complain that it doesn't work right.

Seems to growing into a royal pain in the butt with all its fixes and hot fixes and issues.

*ALL* of it's fixes and hotfixes and issues? Actually significantly less of those than other software titles.

It's still better than anything else out there currently and, as I said, it is continually expanding and improving. The relationship to FSX under the hood is approaching name only with all the changes being made - not to mention 64bit.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Of course. What has that got to do with simulating an aircraft as close as possible?

Worthless ‘eye candy’ for the kids. Soon they’ll be adding a first person shooter option. Can’t wait. Lol.

As you walk up to your aircraft, it appears like a real aircraft with reflection and refraction from the constituent parts. I call that `realism` as it enhances the experience of real flight, as does looking at the wings and seeing improved metal effects (or plastic). And fighter aircraft require an equivalent to first person shooter to be `realistic` in experience...

Of course, not having P3d v4.5, you can't have experienced that. So you also won't have experienced the FDE improvements and changes over FSX.

Our flying club has steadily upgraded its desktop simulator precisely because of the enhancements to realism.

Worthless ‘eye candy’ for the kids.

You might note that this 76 year old "kid" who is a real world pilot also, is one of those who truly appreciate that "Worthless ‘eye candy’," since it helps the immersion factor when you're actually looking out the window -- often I'll remark about how real it looks (though not so much in the cities). Granted that I've got ORBX, which helps a lot.

What has that got to do with simulating an aircraft as close as possible?

And why is that mandatory for everyone who uses the program? Isn't it permissible for others to enjoy different aspects of the program without your scorn? Is what you want to see mandatory for everyone?

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Of course. What has that got to do with simulating an aircraft as close as possible?

Worthless ‘eye candy’ for the kids. Soon they’ll be adding a first person shooter option. Can’t wait. Lol.

Fortunately, you have a great option.

Do not buy or use the product and go troll someone else's forum.

Vic

P3D Rig

Fortunately, you have a great option.

Do not buy or use the product and go troll someone else's forum.

Vic

Shine as you walk up to the ‘aircraft’ on a flight sim platform. SHeesh. What next, flies buzzing?

So can you explain the hundreds of ‘hotfixes’ for FSuX volume 2? (P3Dud)

I remember neither shine nor shadows before / after flying a real aircraft. Anyway, when I went back to FSX from Fs9, I had removed all external models anyway so it didnt matter.

But have fun with the game.

Shine as you walk up to the ‘aircraft’ on a flight sim platform. SHeesh. What next, flies buzzing?

So can you explain the hundreds of ‘hotfixes’ for FSuX volume 2? (P3Dud)

I remember neither shine nor shadows before / after flying a real aircraft. Anyway, when I went back to FSX from Fs9, I had removed all external models anyway so it didnt matter.

But have fun with the game.

So why are you trying to discourage folks from using a program that you don't much like? It's like saying that I should be driving a Honda instead of a Toyota, just because YOU like the Honda better. Quit being a pest and go back to your FS98 without all the "eye candy."

Larry N.

As Skylab would say: