Better large scale scenery for XP-11?

johnost

Hi All. I fly the current versions of P3Dv4, Aerofly FS2 and X-Plane 11. My problem is the very generic (unreal) scenery in XP-11. I know that there are hundreds of individual airports and piecemeal sceneries and Object Libraries available for XP, put dealing with all that to obtain a (mixed/partial?) global range does not appeal to me. For P3D I have Orbx Base Pack, openLC's, Vector and Trees which I find excellent and accurate enough for me. XP certainly has many other good features, but the generic scenery is unsatisfactory to me, so XP is sort of collecting dust in my computer. I have been hoping and waiting to see if Orbx were going to come out with similar global/continental packages for XP-11, as they have for FSX and P3D, but it does not look like it, and of course there is more money to be made with just airports and regions.

My reason for posting this is, that I am curious if others feel like I do. I do not demand photo realism at all (I don't even like many of them), I just want a reasonably realistic (believable) presentation of cities and landscapes. I am also curious if any of you have found anything for XP-11 approaching the very good large-scale world and continental area presentations like those from Orbx?

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

• 2 weeks later...
I agree that Xplane doesn't have the city landmarks that FSX or prepr3d have but what it does have is correct roads, elevated overpasses, trains on the train tracks and all of the buildings are at the same height as in the real world. They are working on developing major cities and already have a few. Give it some time and remember that Xplane is the only sim that is in a constant state of development. I still do fly FSX and really enjoy it but it is showing it's age however sim preference is a very subjective thing and no sim is better than the other. It's all up to individual taste. I just say sit back and wait because Xplane will get there.

Thanks for your thoughts on this subject. I really agree with everything you say, and the basic XP sceneries don't look bad, when you don't know what they really look like. My real concern is, that I end up with a mass of realistic sceneries mixed with generic scenery and having to spend a lot of money. I posted a similar thread on the Orbx forum, and it appears that they are planning something similar to their Global Base Pack and applicable to XP. This would be great, but of course there are no promises for when it may become available. I would also welcome some more realistic global or at least continental scenery from XP!

But I will try to be patient!

John

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

Edited by johnost

Just released a couple of days ago. SFD (MisterX6) is also developing a global texture replacement along with Orbx of course.

https://store.x-plane.org/Global-Earth_p_973.html

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

That looks interesting indeed! Are you saying that they work with/for Orbx?

No, they do not work with Orbx. I am going to wait for SFD Short and Final Design global texture pack.

https://www.thresholdx.net/news/sfdgbl

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/171760-announcing-sfd-global/

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

Hi John and everyone.

Patience... is a good attitude, LR is in a transition period that is not conducive to stability and or improvement to the typical user. If you missed the earlier versions, like 1120s, you are likely to be dealing with a lot of instability, and disappointment, at least in the near future. Everything is likely to change, not necessarily for the better, and unless you can create something yourself and you are able to upgrade, as things change, you will likely be very frustrated.

Many of the utilities, like Reshade, and ability to make changes to scenery, have been disabled, no longer working and you are stuck with the LR scorched Earth during Dawn and Dusk, releases.

One slight improvement is the Ortho, I know you are not fan of it, but looking at the above sites those textures are not very real life like, just a bunch of different colored squares. In my 40+ years of real life flying I do not recall anything close to what they show.

The only thing that gives some feel of real terrain look alike is / are the Orthos. Due to limitations of the texture modifications in the later versions of XP11 you will have to live with what you can get.

My suggestion is get some of the available free Orthos, or you can create your own with better resolution, put something together and when you are somewhat satisfied, keep it / save it, do not upgrade. If you want to play the upgrade game do it in a new install. I luckily kept the version 1120 which the best in my opinion, from the scenery stand point, it has many other problems, but the FPS, textures, coloring and rendering during low level light, like around Sunrise / Sunset were the best, most accurate to what I see in real life flying.

If you like ortho's try Forkboy2's free packages which are superb.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/36327-us-orthophotos/

If you like ortho's try Forkboy2's free packages which are superb.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/36327-us-orthophotos/

WOW - that is some project, but how many gigabytes would it take to cover the US? And apart from the obvious 3D buildings in the large city, is everything flat when you land? The pictures from altitude are very impressive, and I will keep an eye on this development, but the amount of work that will be involved in completing the USA seems daunting.

flytv1 thanks for your interesting comments. I hear you, but at my energy level and limited software knowledge I may be somewhat limited in my prospects:) But I will certainly keep following these developments!

Hi John.

All you need, initially, is the area that you use most.

In general the space required for the area is not very large, depends on the area, but the Zoom Level is low ZL15-16 and it does not take too much space. For every ZL increase typically the space doubles.

The most difficult part is using the Torrent and Converting the files to .dds after you download.

z_ortho_California_v5 is 167GB after conversion. If you were to do a single tile using Ortho4XP, like 33-119 at ZL18 is about 20GB each times about 60 tiles for CA alone. AZ is about 58GB.

If you need help post here.