Done with FSX

eric5150

I've had it....I'm done

I've been doing cross country practice on FSX:SE for a while now and I'm done with the incessant crashes. Currently installing Prepar3d. Did anyone else get fed up with FSX? Great graphics in DX10 mode with fixes but now I can't turn panel lights on or load the standard gps without it crashing during a flight. I've reinstalled several times, tweaked the FSX.cfg to make it have good frame rates with my laptop, spent hours of my life reinstalling scenery and everything. I don't even care if I have to run Prepar3d with worse graphics if it means a more stable flight....

Reflections welcome...

Eric

(P.S. I still have my FS2004 installed but it shows its age....however it is still installed for posterity sake - no crashes there)

Check out my Real World Flights on the Eric Flight YouTube Channel

Eric Flight YouTube Channel

Check out my Flight Sim Livestreams on Twitch

Eric Flight Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Only time I have FSX crashes is when the VAS gets too high from QW 787's with huge 4096 texture files. Now I just resize them down to 2048 and no issues.

FSUIPC4 has a built in beeping VAS monitor and log file to help figure out memory issues.

If your going with Prepar3D, VAS should be a thing of the past.

I'm going to wait for V5 before I transition over.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I've monitored the VAS while running and it's not that.....I thought it was my graphics card overheating but it's not that either (bought cooling fans galore and run the laptop like a desktop by leaving it in once place and taking the covers off with fans blowing massively to get it to cool off. I was running some heavy scenery and it would work...just crashed when I did certain things. I looked at the crash logs and I'm just done with it. I actually thought Flight Sim World would be awesome if they kept developing it (the flight models were more realistic than what I was accustomed to on FSX) but....it is what it is. The simulator at the flight school runs what looks to be Prepar3d with less intensive scenery and no traffic. Running Prepar3d 4.4 and probably will go with 4.5 in the future now. Edited by eric5150

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You're wait is over!

Actually meant Prepar3D V5.

When V4 64bit came out wanted to wait for a few revisions and maturity before I sink $200.00 (And all the must have add-ons) because it will be the last flight simulator I will ever use.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Actually meant Prepar3D V5.

When V4 64bit came out wanted to wait for a few revisions and maturity before I sink $200.00 (And all the must have add-ons) because it will be the last flight simulator I will ever use.

OK! It was version 4.5 that just released. Ya got a long way to go;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Your first mistake may have been using DX10 Preview. Don't use that and see if that helps. Also, a laptop is not a good computer for simming. Why people chose to use a laptop for FS I'll never know. It can work, but nothing like a dedicated gaming desktop.

Your first mistake may have been using DX10 Preview. Don't use that and see if that helps. Also, a laptop is not a good computer for simming. Why people chose to use a laptop for FS I'll never know. It can work, but nothing like a dedicated gaming desktop.

Laptop for portability. A gaming desktop for eye candy.

My 3 year old laptop (Asus) came with its own sub-woofer and dedicated nVidia card. It runs FS Steam great. FS Steam with the Trike flying and at default settings was getting 70 fps. To increase fps and make FSX run even smoother when running payware planes, I use WOAI (frees up traffic) and the latest version of nVidia Profile Inspector with Nickn's guidelines.

To improve everything else, I use freeware textures and landclass (to get rid of the ugly ugly default desert textures; and to improve clouds, roads, water, grass, trees, runaways and taxiways), and freemesh.

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

... because it will be the last flight simulator I will ever use.

The last? Really? Really?

:)

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

The last?

Paid $69.99 when FSX came out in 2008, can't afford to keep buying a newer flight simulator every time a New! Improved! version comes out, why I still have not bought any version of Prepar3D.

Really?

Yes, not only the reason all ready mentioned, but the payware ADD-ONS are the biggest reason, potentially thousands of $$$

Really? Really?

YES! YES! Besides all the $$$, the substantial time commitment of setting it all up.

So Prepar3D V5 will go to my grave with me :pilot:

So Prepar3D V5 will go to my grave with me :pilot:

Better be aware that much, if not most, of your FSX add-ons aren't going to be compatible with Lockheed Martin's training software. P3D 4 and, no doubt, the mythical P3D 5, are 64-bit programs, while FSX is 32-bit based programming. You won't be able to bring all your payware and such to P3D.

One problem with porting FSX add-ons to P3D v. 4 is gauges in aircraft. If these are not compiled to 64-bit, the sim will crash. I am not sure what could be the cause of sceneries not being compatible, with P3D v. 4.

You will need to check in every single case is the developer has certified an add-on as compatible.

Jorgen

Most gauges now are XML, and they don't require any conversion. However aircraft need to be native FSX models, a lot of people still use FS-2004 or hybrids for their aircraft (myself included.) Those won't work.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

• 2 weeks later...

Going to build a custom desktop model (haven't done so since 2002).

Core i9-9900K

GeForce RTX 2080

Prepar3d has been working better on the old laptop (GeForce 980M Core i7 4720HQ overclocked to 3.6 consistently, etc...) ibut I have a five year rule to computers so it was either get another gaming laptop (which I also used for work/YouTube video creation) or build a new one. I decided to build one because it's actually cheaper than buying a high level gaming laptop. I'll let you know how it turns out. I will probably have it built within 1-2 months. I go all the way back to Pentium III 500 MHz for building custom computers so this should be interesting.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can see my specs in my sig. I bought this desktop way back when and it’s still running FSX fine. I too have had the occasional crash and freeze up, but usually it was because something I added or whatever.

I’ve no desire to move on to anything else.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

• 2 weeks later...

New computer is built and is awesome. Overclocked to 5.2GHz on eight cores (turned off visualization...aka hyperthreading) pulling up to 60FPS with triple monitor setup. On high demand scenery I average 20-25FPS with 3 monitors.

Biggest thing.....no random crashes to desktop. Nothing worse than planning out a cross country with flight planning, flying an hour, and then just one crash wiping every effort out.

When I get a new PCIE 2TB M.2 drive, I might reinstall FSX SE just to see what I can pull on that but Prepar3d is my new practicing for flight lessons workhorse. Hopefully getting the private pilot license done this Summer.

Edited by eric5150

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Successfully overclocked the i9 9900k to 5.3 GHz now. Also, I got a Samsung 970 Pro Evo 2 TB SSD hard drive. The hard drive seemed to give me faster loading times and somehow a frame or two extra. Glad to go back to building a desktop computer. I needed laptops in the past for work and decided on getting gaming ones but nothing beats a custom built desktop computer. The build came in at around $2300 which is around what I paid for the gaming laptops from the past. The main difference being that I can upgrade components over time.

Also, having bad weather in New England that has effectively stopped me from flying my last two solo cross country flights in the real-world for the past month made it so I could put some of the saved up money to go towards the new computer for training.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are some of us out there that DO use laptops. We are most not lessor simmers just because we do not have the latest, fastest 'box' out there, for chasing the holy grail

There are also some of us that actually cannot afford to have a box for simming & a laptop for convenience, believe it!

There are also some of us that do not have the latest sims, for that very reason, as well as not being all that interested in chasing frames, overclocking, tweaking & all the well discussed things to make the sim actually work well.

Just remember the difference between, immersion & realism..

We have built a sim, using actual seats, throttle quadrants, pedals, etc, & we know we've hit the sweet spot, when pilots 'bump' themselves in their seats, anticipating touchdown.

THAT's the immersion factor kicking in! & the sim is static.

Regards,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hey Eric,

A WORD OF CAUTION! I don't know if you currently have any P3D software currently or not. However the latest versions of P3D and P3D upgrades come with a very small number of "Default" airplanes. All the ads and revues talk about Beechcraft planes, Ch-46s, and several aircraft that were part of the original P3D package. If you buy the current P3D or even "upgrade" an earlier version, several of the "default" aircraft they talk about either aren't there anymore or if you upgrade an older version, will disapear. It seems Lockheed didn't get permission from manufacturers like Textron to show their planes as default. So they now must remove them from new installations or upgrades!

Not to worry though. They still have such important "vehicles" as a submarine, a bathscape, a male soldier without a weapon, and TBTG, an armed soldier among their default "vehicles!" Though I doubt you'll be able to log many submarine or soldier hours towards your GA licenses.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Not to worry though. They still have such important "vehicles" as a submarine, a bathscape, a male soldier without a weapon, and TBTG, an armed soldier among their default "vehicles!" Though I doubt you'll be able to log many submarine or soldier hours towards your GA licenses.

Michael

Sounds like a good candidate for both companies looking to build a simulator to train mini sub pilots, and the sub pilots themselves. One of the primary goals of Microsoft's ESP, and now P3D, was expanding the sim into commercial uses beyond just flying. Looks like they're still continuing with this plan.

I am enclosing here a few shots of the very few P3D default "vehicles" remaining in today's version of P3d, in this case P3Dv4.5. It seems every "update" of P3D eliminates more and more of the default "vehicles"!

People often talk about earning GA time using P3D. But frankly as a RW pilot I have trouble seeing how logging their hours in any of these "vehicles" such as the submarine will help anyone obtain any type of certification!!

IMHO if you're not willing to spend a TON OF MONEY BUYING AIRCRAFT YOU THOUGHT WERE ALREADY INCLUDED, STAY WITH FSX!! Other than the fancier weather patterns, I can't say P3D, including this latest update, is worth your or my investment!

Rupert

M1.jpg

m2.jpg

M3.jpg

m4.jpg

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Is it really that hard to understand that P3D is a simulation platform intended as a base for companies and others to build complete simulators on top of? It is much more than just a GA flight sim. From the P3D website:

Prepar3D (pronounced “prepared”) is a visual simulation platform that allows users to create training scenarios across aviation, maritime, and ground domains. Users can train anywhere in the virtual world, from underwater to sub orbital space.

Having to purchase additional aircraft doesn't seem to be big problem considering how few, if any, default aircraft in any sim are as good or as complete as third party ones. If one really wants to use the sim for real world training, they should be looking for better add-on aircraft anyways. And if the extra expense is too much, then by all means, look elsewhere, but lack of included aircraft seems a pretty poor argument for avoiding P3D.