Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Done with FSX

Default Done with FSX

I've had it....I'm done

I've been doing cross country practice on FSX:SE for a while now and I'm done with the incessant crashes. Currently installing Prepar3d. Did anyone else get fed up with FSX? Great graphics in DX10 mode with fixes but now I can't turn panel lights on or load the standard gps without it crashing during a flight. I've reinstalled several times, tweaked the FSX.cfg to make it have good frame rates with my laptop, spent hours of my life reinstalling scenery and everything. I don't even care if I have to run Prepar3d with worse graphics if it means a more stable flight....

Reflections welcome...

Eric

(P.S. I still have my FS2004 installed but it shows its age....however it is still installed for posterity sake - no crashes there)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check out my Flightsim/Flying Youtube Channel EricFlight
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrL...aEblnlQ8tSfQbA
    Flying a Cessna 152 and loving every minute of it

2. Default

Only time I have FSX crashes is when the VAS gets too high from QW 787's with huge 4096 texture files. Now I just resize them down to 2048 and no issues.

FSUIPC4 has a built in beeping VAS monitor and log file to help figure out memory issues.

If your going with Prepar3D, VAS should be a thing of the past.

I'm going to wait for V5 before I transition over.
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64gb 2666, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, WD VelociRaptor 250gb and 1000gb, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, CM Cosmos S, Logitech M570/K800 Wireless Trackball/Keyboard, Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by dogdish View Post

I'm going to wait for V5 before I transition over.
    You're wait is over!
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

I've monitored the VAS while running and it's not that.....I thought it was my graphics card overheating but it's not that either (bought cooling fans galore and run the laptop like a desktop by leaving it in once place and taking the covers off with fans blowing massively to get it to cool off. I was running some heavy scenery and it would work...just crashed when I did certain things. I looked at the crash logs and I'm just done with it. I actually thought Flight Sim World would be awesome if they kept developing it (the flight models were more realistic than what I was accustomed to on FSX) but....it is what it is. The simulator at the flight school runs what looks to be Prepar3d with less intensive scenery and no traffic. Running Prepar3d 4.4 and probably will go with 4.5 in the future now.
    Last edited by eric5150; 04-09-2019 at 06:33 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check out my Flightsim/Flying Youtube Channel EricFlight
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrL...aEblnlQ8tSfQbA
    Flying a Cessna 152 and loving every minute of it

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    You're wait is over!
    Actually meant Prepar3D V5.

When V4 64bit came out wanted to wait for a few revisions and maturity before I sink $200.00 (And all the must have add-ons) because it will be the last flight simulator I will ever use.
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64gb 2666, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, WD VelociRaptor 250gb and 1000gb, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, CM Cosmos S, Logitech M570/K800 Wireless Trackball/Keyboard, Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by dogdish View Post
    Actually meant Prepar3D V5.

When V4 64bit came out wanted to wait for a few revisions and maturity before I sink $200.00 (And all the must have add-ons) because it will be the last flight simulator I will ever use.
    OK! It was version 4.5 that just released. Ya got a long way to go
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

7. Default

Your first mistake may have been using DX10 Preview. Don't use that and see if that helps. Also, a laptop is not a good computer for simming. Why people chose to use a laptop for FS I'll never know. It can work, but nothing like a dedicated gaming desktop.

My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

+1 to CRJ. And P3D v. 4.5 isn't out quite yet, only v. 4.4 as of today.

Jorgen

I also notice that the OP has not published his hardware specs, other than saying "laptop", nor has he published his FSX.CFG.

Eric150, please be aware that P3D will be much more demanding of your hardware than FSX, before you plunk out your hard-earned cash for it.

Jorgen

Quote Originally Posted by CRJ_simpilot View Post
    Your first mistake may have been using DX10 Preview. Don't use that and see if that helps. Also, a laptop is not a good computer for simming. Why people chose to use a laptop for FS I'll never know. It can work, but nothing like a dedicated gaming desktop.
    Laptop for portability. A gaming desktop for eye candy.

My 3 year old laptop (Asus) came with its own sub-woofer and dedicated nVidia card. It runs FS Steam great. FS Steam with the Trike flying and at default settings was getting 70 fps. To increase fps and make FSX run even smoother when running payware planes, I use WOAI (frees up traffic) and the latest version of nVidia Profile Inspector with Nickn's guidelines.

To improve everything else, I use freeware textures and landclass (to get rid of the ugly ugly default desert textures; and to improve clouds, roads, water, grass, trees, runaways and taxiways), and freemesh.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast