fsx partial install

I had some problems with a program in FSX and had to un-install it. Somehow, while doing that, I also deleted a lot of the FSX program. Because of this, when I tried to re-install FSX, It kept coming up wanting to repair or uninstall. Neither of them would work. After much searching on my registry editor I finally deleted all the MSFS and FSX entries so that the program would install. Now it installs about half way then gives an error msg telling me it is unable to find ablscpt.dll. I don't know where this is supposed to be located, or how to fix the issue. Any help is appreciated. Oh, Windows 10 on a Dell XPS with 16mb of RAM and 2gb HD.
Dell XPS 8700 -win 10 - 16 gb DDR3 ram - NVIDIA GeForce 750 ti - Saitek X52 - FSX Deluxe w/acceleration

Hi wyodeacon,

Depending upon what version of FSX you have, ie; FSX standard with SP1 and/or SP2 or FSX Gold Deluxe with Acceleration Pack. Repairs need to be performed per FSX SP or FSX AccPack.

If you run AccPack or SP2 the Repair option needs to be done to the base FSX installation first, which means uninstalling FSX Acceleration beforehand, in order to perform the base FSX repair using Disk1, via the Windows uninstall a program list before inserting the FSX disk1 to run a Repair, You will see the in list FSX revert to FSX Standard when you uninstall the overlaying SP or AccPack.

After repair, you should check your base install is complete and operating properly by taking a quick flight and choosing setup options, re-activate online if asked/required. Then you can proceed to reinstall SP1 & SP2 or Acceleration, when acceleration disk is inserted there may be a requirement to perform re-activation online via the dialog window. Take a quick flight to confirm setup and operation after SP1&2 or AccPack install. Accpack is the only FSX addon that may possibly throw you back into Demo mode. If you don't get an Activation dialog under Win10 but your sim remains in Demo mode, then you may also need to perform a small edit to the OS System Registry. (But we can cross that bridge if and when you have completed the possible repair options as described first, before going to the extent of fresh FSX install.)

Not that it matters much for the FSX repair option if you have done such serious destruction to the FSX root folder installation, Repair might only fix corruption to core FSX files while restoring other default elements .bgl's .bmp's/.dxt texture files. The issue for you might ultimately only be resolved by a fresh install if it continues to offer only partial repair/reinstall. But lets see what the repair option described above does first.

Below are the file locations for ablscpt.dll & ROOT_ablscpt.dll

The file for FSX & SP1 ablscpt.dll resides in the FSX root folder (Main folder)

The file for FSX AccPack ROOT_ablscpt.dll resides in Setup\XPackCache folder (within the FSX root folder), ROOT_ablscpt.dll is installed by Acceleration Pack.

I don't know where FSX SP1 SP2 places the ROOT_ablscpt.dll or indeed wether it is installed at all via SP2. (I've never run SP2 always had AccPack)

Best of luck with repair, report your results back here if you get stuck.

This is standard FSX, without sp1. I install it afterwords.

How do I do a repair on an install? The only option is to continue with the install. (The repair\uninstall option problem was fixed. It will take a new install now, but only goes about half way.

Edited by wyodeacon
Dell XPS 8700 -win 10 - 16 gb DDR3 ram - NVIDIA GeForce 750 ti - Saitek X52 - FSX Deluxe w/acceleration

This is standard FSX, without sp1. I install it afterwords.

How do I do a repair on an install? The only option is to continue with the install.

Speaking of SP1 and/or SP2...did you uninstall those also?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Speaking of SP1 and/or SP2...did you uninstall those also?

hmmmm. good question. I wonder if there is something left from sp1?

Hi wyodeacon,

So it appears that you are trying to run the repair as described above, you have FSX Gold Deluxe 3Disks, Have only FSX from the first 2 Disks installed so far, but you are only offered an install option, not a repair option when you insert Disk1, which then only partially installs.

(Is this what is happening).

Some things come to mind, you may be experiencing a slight delay or long pause in the install process and not allowing it to finish, or you are not installing as Administrator with full permissions, or UAC is interfering, or your Antivirus is interfering. (I have heard of this happening under Win10) Best to switch these off for FSX install/Repair.

Another thought is that your install could be in the default OS Protected folder C:\ProgramFiles (x86) this could be causing a Permissions issue with regard to Full Admin Permissions.

If this fails you may indeed have completely corrupted/damaged your FSX install which will require Uninstalling FSX for a complete fresh install. (Remember to use the Uninstall a Program from the list, not from the start menu or by the uninstaller in the root folder).

If you find yourself doing a complete fresh install, you must also remember to run FSX between installs of FSX Gold Deluxe (Disk1 & 2), activate / setup / fly), then AccPack Disk, then run / Activate / setup / fly, to complete the process.

EDIT: If you have Acceleration Pack you do not need SP1 or SP2, these will be installed as Acceleration Pack.

Edited by jethrom
EDIT: note

The problem is that you messed up your registry when you manually deleted many registry keys. (Some you should not have removed. Some others you missed.)

I hope you made a registry backup before you started. Or a system image.

If you did, restore the backup.

Then use the MS Registry tool. (kb928080). That removes the registry keys for fsx only. Without messing up anything else. You can then reinstall fsx.

MS no longer has a download of kb928080 available. But you can find it on FlyAwaySimulation.com as file:

resetsldl.exe

You will need to run it in a specific way. By typing commands into an Administrator Command Prompt.

(or else it won't work.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

jethrom...that's not exactly correct. I was trying to explain how all this happened in the first place but I think I made it much more confusing.

Right now: FSX is uninstalled. When I try to reinstall it goes about half way then comes up with the error message telling me that it can't find ablscpt.dll. All I can do at that point is abort. I always install as Administrator, so that's not a problem.

Top Gun..You are correct. I messed up the registry, but I think it was done uninstalling another program. At any rate, it doesn't matter now. I do not have a saved registry. I went to command prompt, but I don't know how to do it as an administrator. (I need to open my eyes. I found the Admin cmd prompt.) Edited by wyodeacon

Top Gun had the answer! I downloaded the file from flyaway and installed according to the instructions that came with it....Success! I installed FSX with no problems and I'm up and running. Thank you to everyone who gave hints or ideas. I really do appreciate it!

• 8 months later...

During the install process received "can't find ablsept.dll, install terminated" prompt. As per previous thread I downloaded & installed "MicrosoftKB928080" in my c: drive. I then went to the DOS command window which showed c:\users\my name & would not accept the directory change "resetsldl /a". Not being too comfortable working with DOS files I would appreciate any help suggesting where I went wrong.

CRV

HP OMEN Desktop, Win 10 Home 64 bit, InTel CORE17-9700K CPU@36GHZ, 16GB Memory, NAVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070