Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Article: Review: Lockheed Martin Prepar3D v4

Blog Entries

Default Article: Review: Lockheed Martin Prepar3D v4

Michael intentionally made a glaring omission in the review: P3D - still not licensed for recreational or hobby use. The ugly rotten albatross hanging around P3D's neck since its beginning.

Very nice review Michael, and as you pointed out, for those looking for a simulator which aids them in their studies, this is the way to go.

Good luck with your own career as a pilot!

W33

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    Michael intentionally made a glaring omission in the review: P3D - still not licensed for recreational or hobby use. The ugly rotten albatross hanging around P3D's neck since its beginning.
    And that's not going to change. It's the thing that's held me back from purchasing. The $200 price tag I can live with - but at the end of the day if I'm completely honest, I really don't qualify for any of the licenses. Maybe "learning"? After nearly 30 years of flight simming though, how much more am I going to learn?

X-Plane is probably the future for me in flight simming.

Great review! I agree, P3D really needs an updated database and airports.

6. Default

I have had every instance of P3D since v1 but have never warmed to any of them. I cannot abide the start up interface and aircraft selection screens which are clunky. FSX was superior there. Plus I have so much invested in FSX payware wise that FSX remains my go to sim. I have no intention of starting all over again in purchases. XP11 may well be the future (I have that too) but has no seasons and again cannot warm to it.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by anaismith View Post
    I have had every instance of P3D since v1 but have never warmed to any of them. I cannot abide the start up interface and aircraft selection screens which are clunky. FSX was superior there. Plus I have so much invested in FSX payware wise that FSX remains my go to sim. I have no intention of starting all over again in purchases. XP11 may well be the future (I have that too) but has no seasons and again cannot warm to it.
    The aircraft selection screens are just about the same. I like the ability to favorite aircraft and show only the ones I fly most often. It's much more stream lined in every sense of the word. The only thing for me that changed is the in world menu. Used to I could hit Alt+A to bring up the aircraft menu but now it's Alt+E for 'Vehicles', not the end of the world but it was hard to get used to after being with Sub-Logic Flight Simulator since the C-64 days, all the way to FSX. It's not clunky you just have to get used to it.

Well some things I learned from that were interesting, that Xplane 11 has no seasons (plus no or little atc?) and P3D has lousy scenery and few aircraft. FS9 plus investments and several hundred free airports seems the way to go.

I'm holding off until I see the large list of addons that will be disabled/crash the sim with this new V5.... a certain developer's WXR seems to always flake out when there's an incremental update. But I hope that won't be the case this time.

10. Default

I believe it is too early to switch to P3D v4 [64 bit] (stay with P3D v3 [32 bit]) as there just isn't much in the way of freeware scenery or aircraft that will work in the sim.

If you stay with version 3, you can still use a lot of the FSX freeware. So, upgrading the standard P3D airports you need are available to you to install what you want.

A weather program ought to be included with P3D for that price.

As for joining up with other FSX, XP and P3D simmers .. simply using the freeware program JoinFS. It works perfect for joining all the platforms (it's apparently not rocket science to get it done.)

As long a hobbyists continue to support the 32 bit format, I am happy simmer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast