Flight Simulators Compatible with Windows 10

FerSor

I'm a Newbie to this Forum. I've been playing Flight Simulator Games ever since Microsoft came out with FS98. I had a computer with Win 7 which I used to play FSX Steam. However that PC went kaput on me and I decided to build me another rig which I'm using right now and using Win 10 Pro My challenge is to find out which Fltsim software to use which is compatible with Win 10. I've read that FSX Steam is having trouble using Win 10. I've also read that Flight Gear 2019 which is a freebie is compatible with Win 10. Amazon is advertising the Flight Gear set of six (6) disks for $20.00 free shipping. I would appreciate your opinion on the matter.

Thanks

Fersor

Hi Fersor,

Welcome to the forum.

As Nels has stated FSX-SE works fine on Win 10. To avoid any permission issues it is best to install the Steam Client (and games library) outside of the default suggested location that it will attempt to install to (i.e. c:\Program Files 9x86)\……). Instead install it as a root directory - i.e. C:\Steam for example or, if you have a second drive D:\Steam. This location will then become the default location for your Steam based games/apps such as FSX-SE.

The main problems that users encounter with older games (such as FSX) and other non-game based apps, on Win 10 is down to the fact that Win 10 ships without some of the earlier versions of essential application 'libraries'. All that is often needed is to simply download and install these libraries. There are plenty of threads here that highlight the issues and remedies.

As you have already got FSX-SE, download/install it and give it a try. If you get any issues you can then search the forum for fixes or seek help by opening a new thread in the FSX forum.

Regards

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

FSX SE is compatible with Win 10. I have run it for over a year (not continuously :) ). Yes it will occasionally crash, I would say I get a FSX program crash on average every 10 or 20 hours of operation. But I am suspicious the cause may be my Dell notebook PC which sometimes hangs up running other software.

Read up on how much and how often Steam needs to connect via internet to keep FSX running. I am not sure, but I believe you need a reliable internet connection for FSX SE to work without crashing.

Just go to the FlightGear site. ( FlightGear.com or something.) You can download the installer from there. (free). And you can also see what the System Requirements for it are. And much more.

All the sims you listed work fine in Win10. And FsxSteam does need an internet connection for activation. Steam wants to connect every time, but that can be easily switched off and it won't ask any more.

It would be best if you google the sims you are interested in. Find their own sites. Flightgear.com Prepar3D.com, etc. There (you can buy them and) the system requirements are listed. You can then use that info to check if your pc is suitable.

On those sites you can alre read the Licence Agreement that goes with the software. Read those closely. They describe your rights and limitations regarding that software, how,and whether you may use it, and there can be surprises that you don't want to find out after buying.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.....Read up on how much and how often Steam needs to connect via internet to keep FSX running. I am not sure, but I believe you need a reliable internet connection for FSX SE to work without crashing......

Once you have downloaded/installed and activated FSX-SE you don't need an reliable/continuous active internet connection unless you are using the optional multiplayer function. This is true for most Steam powered games. An active connection is only required when playing a game in multiplayer mode or those games that are dedicated online only games.

You can set Steam to auto start in Off-Line mode - as detailed below:

1. Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked.

2. Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see/check the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode).

3. Launch the game, using the blue Play button, you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played.

4. Go to Steam > Settings to ensure the Don't save account credentials on this computer option is not selected.

5. From the main Steam window, go to the Steam menu and select Go Offline.

6. Click Restart in Offline Mode to restart Steam in Offline Mode. Once Steam restarts it will place a icon on the taskbar.

If you have set it up correctly when you start your PC and Steam starts up in the background it will display a message stating that it is set to start in offline mode and it will offer 2 options - start in online mode or remain offline. Select your required choice. Steam will always start in this way even if there is a internet connection available.

To launch the game in off-line mode you will need to use either the start menu link or a desktop shortcut link.

It is good practice to allow Steam to go on-line every so often - about every 30 days or so. This allows Steam to verify the account as still being valid/active. If you don't, you will receive an occasional email from Steam asking you to verify the account.

Another reason to go online occasionally is so that game updates can be delivered. This is, however, dependent on how you have set the options available in your account regarding the delivery of downloads/updates.

The default for most games is for updates to be delivered/installed in the background when there is an active internet connection available. Some games will only update when a internet connection is available and a game session is started - the game start process effectively checks for any updates, downloads and installs them before launching the game. In these two cases this happens irrespective of whether you have signed into the account or not. However, some updates will only download/install when the steam account is logged into.

You can change the behaviour within the account settings to suit your individual needs on a game by game basis.

Regards

Brian

• 2 years later...
What do you think of Flightgear and is it compatible with Win 10.

Flight Gear is compatible to win10 and I am satisfied with what flying I want to do. I have all the airports in North America and with Flight Planner maps available online I can fly to anyplace in US I could possibly want. My only disappointment is, some planes I want are not available or compatible with FG. like Navy T34, EA6b and T48. I had been spoiled to FS2004, but it is not compatible to W10.

Bill Calvert

If you know a source for the plane I mentioned , let me know----Thanks

Bill Calvert