changing FS9 props to FSX props doesn't work

Flattermann

Hi,

I tried to convert the FS9 AI-Cl-215 (aiacl215.zip in the File Library) to a FSX AI-aircraft.

it works as usual but the props are squares. I have done done such correctings many times and normally it works fine. I know the tutorial Correcting Propeller Displays from David "Opa" Marshall. It doesn't work in this case.

I doesn't understand if I change or delete the prop.bmp there are still the squares??

Perhaps somebody can help.

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Col for your answer.

This was my first idea but it doesn't work. As I said if I delete the prop bmp, the squares remain. I don't know why. The other bmp only shows the fuse.

The black squares you see are the untextured prop polygons of the model, as mentioned before the easiest way to fix this is to use another prop texture, copy one from another aircraft into your Cl-215 texture folder & rename it the same as the original.

Thank you Paul for answering. Thats what I do ever in such cases and it works normally but not in this case?! I don't know where the squares come if I delete the prop.bmp of the CL-215. I think they are part of the model. I loaded the model with MCX and can't see the squares.

Hi Col,

It's a bit tricky with this FS9 model. I downloaded the CL-215 (aiacl215.zip). There are 2 folders inside: AIA_CL_215 for normal (with wheels) and AIA_CL_215_Water (without wheels)

I only will use the Water-folder. This folder doesn't contain Textures. The README says the Textures are in the normal-folder and you have to copy it from this folder to the Water-folder. So I copied the texture.Buffalo_215 and corrected the aircraft.cfg for it. This texture needs the model.water_hub. I marked this model in the flightsim number.

Now the Water-folder contains the Buffalo_215 texture. It contains 2 bmp_files: aia_CL_215_t.bmp and CL_215_Prop_t.bmp.

If I let this aircraft in my FSX fly as AI. The plane looks good but the propeller moving are black squares.

So I tried to work with Alpha, no luck. I changed the propellers with the CL-415, no luck. I tried other propeller-bmp's no luck.

You are right Christian, I just tried it and got the same, I changed the prop texture to different formats but still the squares.

I also think the problem is the actual props are in the main texture folder, I have visitors so I will have a look shortly I think I may know how to fix it, fingers crossed mate.

Col.

I have an even sneakier suspicion that it ain't a propspin problem...believe it or not it only occurs with the lights on! I have tried changing the [lights] section in the aircraft.cfg with no change. It's probably caused by the landing lights, which are part of the model.

Lights off

lites off.JPG

Lights on

lites on.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi Col

I tried to load the model with MCX. You could see the plane but the texture couldn't be loaded. The props are animated. I knew too little to handle MCX for deleting this animation.

Hi Zippy,

I tried to change the [lights] section (deleted the whole section) from the watermodel, but there was no change? The squares remain??

I tried the same with the normal model, without lights the same (squares).

Which model you have changed?CL_215.jpg

Hi Zippy,

I tried to change the [lights] section (deleted the whole section) from the watermodel, but there was no change? The squares remain??

I tried the same with the normal model, without lights the same (squares).

Which model you have changed?[ATTACH=CONFIG]209108[/ATTACH]

I was using model=spinner and Manitoba 254.

Was this a flyable model or an AI-model?

These are the AI model in your .zip file. I made them flyable with a panel. All of the different ones in that download that I tried worked until I turned on the lights.

orange.JPG

white and green.JPG

yellow.JPG

Hi Col and Mr Zippy,

I found at AVSIM an alleged FSX version of the CL-215 (FSX Canadair CL-215 for AI traffic -aiacl215_fsx.zip) from15th Dezember 2018. But it is a fake, because there are the same texture files and so the same problems with the props. It is a pity. The readme says "Seaplane version not tested in FSX. If it sinks, don't call us." The plane doesn't sink but the props doesn't work. A call is useless:mad:

These are the AI model in your .zip file. I made them flyable with a panel. All of the different ones in that download that I tried worked until I turned on the lights.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]209109[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]209110[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]209111[/ATTACH]

...and if the models are used as AI they have the wrong props!

I loaded this aircraft because I needed an AI aircraft and not a flyable one. It is very hard to change an flyable aircraft to a floating aircraft because they all have gears down for landing.

But thank you for trying to help me.

IF I can't find an AI type, I lower the contact points so the wheels are under water, I know it isn't ideal but the only time you see them is for a few seconds on takeoff and landing.

I once tried a program called 'Model converter' you can lift the gear using that and save it, I did it once on an aircraft but to be honest it took me a bit because I must have not been something right, in the end it worked lol.

I tried tried something else with this CL-215 and I got the props to look almost right but still had the squares, I'm going to look again tomorrow.

.....I once tried a program called 'Model converter' you can lift the gear using that and save it, I did it once on an aircraft but to be honest it took me a bit because I must have not been something right, in the end it worked lol.

I tried also to load a FS9 model on the MCX (ModelConverterX by Arno Gerretsen) but it shows only the model not the texture (many faults). I didn't find a way to change something on this model. So I gave up. Lucky I have a CL-415 model as AI-plane, so I am content.

Thank you very much for trying to help me.

I had a bit of a play early this morning, I can get the props in the right texture but still the square, I even tried just making a circle but then it goes on a square texture background so to speak.

I'm not giving up yet lol.

I don't know if this is any help but I had a problem a few days ago with an AI DHC6. The props were black circles.

I found a flyable model and copied it's prop texture which was a dds file, this did the trick for me.Capture.jpg

Win 7 HP 64 bit, Zalman Z9 Plus case

Asus P8Z77-V LX Mobo ,i7 3770 3.4ghz CPU

16GB DDR3 1600mhz ,GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 OC

1TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD

Hi Ptrcam, yes I did that, I have used many a fsx aircraft props and swapped them in the past and as said earlier a lot work no problem.

I've used a few now from various aircraft, like I said earlier I can get the texture right but still they show as a square lol.

I even tried not having a prop texture at all but then it defaults back to black squares, I've used various prop fix files and the texture is right but still a square.

Col.

Archived