Please help me!

Oldynewby

Hi all,

At the risk of sounding pathetic, I've taken just about all I can tolerate from this flightsim malarky! I started out with FS5.1 which my old 386 couldn't keep up with. Then I upgraded the computer and bought FS98 which would run quite well in XP but the joysticks I tried were shockingly bad, so last year I upgraded to FSX with an i3-7100 processor, 1050 graphics card and a full suite of Saitek controls and the b@stard thing still wouldn't work! I tried installing FSUIPC and SPAD but still couldn't get the Saitek gear running after several uninstalls/reinstalls which ended up just clogging things up with un-uninstalled elements.

So in desperation I did a system reset yesterday hoping for a full clean install of FSX on a clean Windows installation and it still won't work. FSX loads OK until the last disc and then throws up an error just as it's finishing the installation, same with FS9. So now I'm stuck with a shedload of useless gear which I'm getting ready to toss out the window.

Is it possible that someone can help me get things up and running after 20+ years of trying?

TIA for any help that anybody's willing to give.

Regards,

Paul.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Zippy says, a whole lot of nothing in your post. I hope you got it off your chest, because we can only help you when you supply FACTS, man!

Please be specific about the error and what version of Windows you're talking about. Also be more detailed about what you tried to install.

SPAD or SPAD.Next? Version? FSUIPC? Version? Free or registered?

Would you believe it? I tried reloading FSX after updating Windows and it seemed to load correctly but I can't now finalise it because my keyboard's gone on the fritz!!

Once I've finished typing this (on my Macbook) I'll be going out to buy a new keyboard - it's not going to beat me!

Assuming all goes well with the new keyboard, what would be the best way of moving FSX from Program Files\Microsoft Games to C:\? My dodgy keyboard wouldn't allow me to do a custom install.

Thanks.

Would you believe it? I tried reloading FSX after updating Windows and it seemed to load correctly but I can't now finalise it because my keyboard's gone on the fritz!!

Once I've finished typing this (on my Macbook) I'll be going out to buy a new keyboard - it's not going to beat me!

Assuming all goes well with the new keyboard, what would be the best way of moving FSX from Program Files\Microsoft Games to C:\? My dodgy keyboard wouldn't allow me to do a custom install.

Thanks.

There is no easy way to move the install. Once installed, it creates registry entries that point back to it.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

1. Forget installing from disk and get a copy of FSX Steam Edition. It has tweaks you're otherwise going to have to install yourself anyway. $25 or so, $7.99 when they have a sale.

2. Put aside your Saitek stuff and start with a Logitech Wingman Exdtreme 3D Pro, about $35 online.

3. Fly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you want a good stick get a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 (NOT a 'Pro') USB stick that Windows sets up in 10 seconds. I unplug it (from USB) when I want to use port. Plug it back in and it re-installs with a 'beep' all in 3 seconds.

Buy a wireless keyboard: Logitech 360. It's $17.99 at Amazon right now. It comes with a wireless mouse. You will never go back to USB keyboards. I promise you.

If you have the Windows and FltSim discs I would just format hard drives and start fresh. Set up windows so it runs good (do updates, install virus, etc) and shut down and restart. THEN install FltSim. Shut it down and restart. You need to give it a few days to settle down. Then install add ons one at a time so if something goes haywire you know where to look to fix things.

And YES do NOT install FltSimX to C\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FlitSim X. Install FltSimX to ROOT C drive Or if you have a D drive install it to root of D drive. It takes TIME to set things up (days, weeks?) so don't be in a rush. Take frequent breaks. Soon you will be the MASTER of your Sim(s).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Saitek works fine, what exactly do you have?

Install FS versions out of program files. You will have to uninstall what you have installed first, not simply move.

Install again doing it this way and just leave the Saitek stuff alone until you have your FS installations working properly. FS9 you need the patch and nocd or it won't run.

Mark Daniels

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I've taken on board all your comments but I still have a problem to solve before I can proceed. I currently have 2 installations of FSX, one in Windows\Program Files etc and one in C:\Root. In my defence my keyboard had gone belly up and I had no control over what I was doing. Anyhow I realise I have to delete both of these installations before I can proceed with a clean reinstall in the boot drive but neither of these have an uninstall file in their directories, when I was uploading the uninstall file didn't load properly.

I've tried the normal uninstall path through Settings\Apps but FSX doesn't appear on the list. My computer's spec is (should be) on the attachment and I loaded FSX from the Deluxe Edition DVD.

Settings 01_04_2019 18_07_10.png

Not only do not install in any "Program Files" folder, but run the installer as administrator and run FS as administrator; you may also need compatibility mode. Do not install any controllers yet, fire up FS, set all the cfg menu items, then try a quick default flight with keyboard control; you don't need to go anywhere, just fly around a couple of minutes to ascertain FS is working properly. Then add your controllers.

Always take things a step at a time, checking in FS each time, then if something goes wrong you know to suspect the last thing added.

Your current PC's spects are somewhat underwhelming to run FSX - but I realize you may have to work with what you already have - so heed the advice others are providing, and maybe they can get you flyin' again...

You might want to give FS-Steam a try, esp. when it goes on sale from time to time: Much less hassle than the discs, plus more stable...

Anyhow I realise I have to delete both of these installations before I can proceed with a clean reinstall in the boot drive but neither of these have an uninstall file in their directories, when I was uploading the uninstall file didn't load properly.

I've tried the normal uninstall path through Settings\Apps but FSX doesn't appear on the list. My computer's spec is (should be) on the attachment and I loaded FSX from the Deluxe Edition DVD.

It would be odd to not see an uninstall file in the FSX directory, especially in 2 installs. You mean you have gone in the actual FSX main folders and looked for an uninstall file is this correct?

Mark Daniels

It would be odd to not see an uninstall file in the FSX directory, especially in 2 installs. You mean you have gone in the actual FSX main folders and looked for an uninstall file is this correct?

Yup!

I'm reticent to go over to Steam, I've spent a $h1tload of money on it already. Not much in the grand scheme of things, but enough for me.

Am I right in saying that my next move is to clean install Windows all over again?

Am I right in saying that my next move is to clean install Windows all over again?

No. Rename the 2 main folders that you have your current FSX installations in. If one installation is in say C: FSX, just rename it to C: FSX1

Do this for both installs you currently have.

Then install FSX again to exactly where you want. The new install should overwrite everything elsewhere so the new install all works well. Previous cfg entries and stuff that aren't in either of your 2 main FSX folders will be overwritten. If you need to save any of that stuff, rename the folders containing those files before you do the new install.

Once your new install is done, test it. If it is all working, you can just manually delete your other 2 installations that you renamed leaving you with just the one FSX installation.

Mark Daniels

Well I tried and it didn't work. FSX loaded most of the way then gave the message below.

Tried to reinstall it after renaming and the dvd drive just started to chatter so I switch from Deluxe Edition to Standard and the drive just chattered again.

Finally, in order to test the drive, I installed FS9 into c:\root and it seemed to load OK except that it won't start. I chose the option to start from the installer, nothing, and from the shortcut and directly from the FS9 application in the folder.

It seems that every solution just throws up another problem...

FWIW I just had the same result with CFS3

Microsoft Flight Simulator X - InstallShield Wizard 02_04_2019 14_08_42.png

😔 after many years of fighting and tweaking FS9, FSX, and P3D all versions, I picked up X-plane 11 and have not looked back. Runs great right out of the box and has tons of high quality freeware aircraft and scenery. Hated to check all the $$$ spent but now my hair is beginning to grow back

Well I tried and it didn't work. FSX loaded most of the way then gave the message below.

Tried to reinstall it after renaming and the dvd drive just started to chatter so I switch from Deluxe Edition to Standard and the drive just chattered again.

Finally, in order to test the drive, I installed FS9 into c:\root and it seemed to load OK except that it won't start. I chose the option to start from the installer, nothing, and from the shortcut and directly from the FS9 application in the folder.

It seems that every solution just throws up another problem...

FWIW I just had the same result with CFS3

FS9 is simple as I pointed out first post I made. It needs the 1.1 patch applied and then the nocd. It will NOT start without doing this.

What operating system are you using?

Did you have anti virus running while installing FSX? If you try again, turn it off.

CFS3 I am not sure, it runs I know that, had it installed myself. Would need to check for any special tricks it may need to work on a modern system.

Mark Daniels

Well, thanks for your advice Mark. Sorry to say it still hasn't helped.

I turned off all of the Windows security, including the firewall, and also the wifi. The install went OK but I still had that same window come up right at the end and the installation finished early. One thing I did notice, and I feel it's happened a few times but I missed it, was that I went to Custom Install and selected the root drive to install into but FSX was actually installed into Program Files (x86) and just placed a few small files in c:\root. I'm stumped!

Thanks for reminding me about FS9 nodisc etc. I've had a big dose of brain fade today.

FSX installer knows if there has been a prior install of FSX (so, not a complete un-install) from what the installer sees in the Registry. If you did not clear the Registry of ALL FSX 'items' then another 'install' of FSX will see the 'items' and use those to install. Get IOBit Uninstaller. Install it. It will FIND FSX and also clear the Registry when you uninstall FSX (if you tick 'Remove All Related Files' option). Hope this helps.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

https://www.simforums.com/forums/nvi-w7810-driver-setup-fsx-fsxse-and-p3d-update_topic59954.html

Read this over and if you decide to follow take your time and do it thoroughly. I've done this and it worked for me. The position you're in has no easy way out.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Archived