Please help me!

Oldynewby

How did you previously install the 2nd installation of FSX?

Just installed over the top of the old one.I see the problem now.

Chuck, thanks for the heads up on IOBit Uninstaller, I think that'll be my next port of call. It should address the problem I think Mark's alluding to.

Egsjr1956, thanks again for the heads up, I hope that IOBit Uninstaller will achieve what the article says.

Let's boogie!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just installed over the top of the old one.I see the problem now.

Chuck, thanks for the heads up on IOBit Uninstaller, I think that'll be my next port of call. It should address the problem I think Mark's alluding to.

Egsjr1956, thanks again for the heads up, I hope that IOBit Uninstaller will achieve what the article says.

Let's boogie!

I did an install of standard edition to see exactly how it works. Let's see what happens next. Good luck!

Mark Daniels

Come on now, chwarae teg! It's getting beyond a joke now! I did the install with IOBit andperformed a full scan which cleaned the registry and a few other items but nothing's changed. FSX still installs most of the way and throws up the same error message as before.

It also still splits the install between c:\ and Microsoft Games with most of the files going into Games and just three in the root (Fonts - about 15, FSXInstall [text] and support [shortcut]. Both folders are named "Microsoft Flight Simulator X". There's still no uninstall file loaded. I just don't understand anymore.

Just a thought; what if I copy and paste all of the files from the folder in Games to the folder in C:\? Or will this just do more harm than good?

Edited by Oldynewby

There are some things that you should not copy and paste. You should uninstall all of FSX and anything associated with it. Make sure your registry is cleared of FSX entries. After that make sure your computer is running properly. Then, install FSX the proper way. If you need help with this ask first. When that is done run basic FSX for a while, getting use to the way it should run.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

There is something very wrong about what is happening on your system. You should not be able to do another install of FSX with the current install already on your machine. I checked into all this when I installed standard edition.

First thing you can do is get the registry fix tool from Flight1.

https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

Once you have run this, then you can try loading up the FSX installer again and hopefully it will now recognize your current installation. The installer will give you the option to remove or repair if it goes well. You can then remove your old FSX install. If you have FSX already on your system, these other installs should not even be possible to commence.

Mark Daniels

There is something very wrong about what is happening on your system.

Tell me about it! I went through the registry yesterday and deleted the FSX folder then put the other folders in the trash. After that I was able to install Standard Edition but it wouldn't allow me to install to the root. Anyway with FSX up and running I uninstalled it using IOBit Uninstaller in order to reinstall Deluxe but it wouldn't allow me to as there was still some trace of Standard remaining. loading Standard Disc 1 gives me the options to repair or remove the installation. Choosing remove doesn't work and throws up the same dialogue box as before.

My next thought is to repair the Standard installation then try to remove it with the Flight1 tool.

My next thought is to repair the Standard installation then try to remove it with the Flight1 tool.

I got the wrong end of the stick with this. Anyway, I've gone through everything removing all parts of FSX that I can find. Disc 1 still only gives me the repair or remove options, neither of which work, so I'm stuck with a computer that won't accept FSX nor uninstall it.

Is there somewhere in Windows that stores the Product Key? To my mind the root cause of all this was the failing of the uninstall file. Can this be loaded manually?

How did you get two installs of FSX on your machine?

I don't have standard edition installed any longer and be a few days before I could attempt to install it again to check over and see exactly what would be best for you to try. If anything like this happens again, best to not delete any files till you have a working installation.

Mark Daniels

How did you get two installs of FSX on your machine?

You tell me! Standard loaded quite happily after I'd cleared out Deluxe but now, despite having cleared out Standard it still remembers. I can't repair as there's no content and I can't remove as there's no uninstaller.

I just loaded FS9 without any problems, including 9.1 Update and NoDisc and set the screen res so that it was at least in focus. Most of my addons are for FS9 but the one I really want to get into only runs on FSX.

There must be some hidden FSX file still there somewhere. Standard allowed me to enter the Product Key while Deluxe didn't. Could this have something to do with it?

Edited by Oldynewby

It sounds like you still have registry entries for FSX; the installer sees these and only offers options to repair or remove. Backup the registry (just in case). Get a registry cleaner, uncheck any automatic cleaning or "performance" options, and just check the registry; scroll through its findings and mark any "FSX", "Flightsim X", etc. entries for removal, then let it do the cleanup. When done, restart windows and try the install again (be sure to run the installer, and the game, as administrator).

Well it's that time of day again when I sit down and prepare to unleash all of my FSX woes on an unsuspecting (or in this case, suspecting) world.

As advised I got a Registry Cleaner which flagged up a tranch of FSX files which I promptly removed. Reloaded th FSX install disc and - nothing, nada absolutely foxtrot alpha! Still get the repair or remove screen, and still neither option works.

Thank You God! :mad:

Must still be a key sitting there in your registry. I'm still trying to work out how you ended up with 2 installations. The missing uninstall files, maybe you installed an add-on which overwrote the FSX uninstall file. You then uninstalled that add-on at some point and it took the uninstall file with it. Always best to make a back-up of the uninstall file for cases like this.
Mark Daniels

Right, I've tried it twice now, once at the command prompt and once directly off the icon. I'll try a few more times but I think it's going to have to be a Windows reset.

Do you think I've already deleted the file that il88pp's app was trying to update?

Just tried resetsldl again as administrator and it worked! Unfortunately it hasn't made a blind bit of difference, I still only get repair or remove options...

I'm going right off simming now but I want to fix this thing!

Paul, I really feel for you mate - I had all this hassle last year with Windows 10 refusing to install and even uninstall FSX, possibly because I already had FSX Steam installed. The same thing could happen to you in reverse. My solution was to re-install Windows 7 x64, and I've had no install issues since. In my experience, once Windows 10 identifies a program as a threat there's no persuading it otherwise. I use Windows 10 every day at work and it's the best ever, but for flight sim I'm sticking with Windows 7 for now.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

You ran resetsldl.exe and tried to reinstall.

You should run resetsldl.exe,

reboot,

and only then try to reinstall.

(If you then cancel halfway through the install, the reg entries will be on your system again. You will again need resetsldl.exe and reboot before trying again.)

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I imagine you are very confused about the whole thing by now. It happens. But you can fix it by formating you hard drives (back up what you can). Reboot after format. Install Windows (any version). Reboot. Look around using Explorer to see what is there. Install AntiVirus (Avast FREE works good). Reboot. Since there is no trace of Flitght Sim (any) you can then install Flight Sim (any). Do custom install so you choose the folder to install to (root of C). Reboot. Right Click FS Icon and 'Run As Admintrator' (I do this everytime I start Sim-cheap insurance). Load the Cessna 172/182 and fly around for a minute. Save this flight as 'default' (it will be started when you click 'Fly Now'). Reboot. Go do any tweaks to Sim cfg you want/need. Reboot. Start Sim (Right Click+Fly As Admin) and see what is there to choose from and pick another airplane to see if Sim loads it and everything 'looks' good. You are done.

I myself have my PC on 24/7 (for years now) so I don't need to re-start Windows anymore. I have auto updates turned OFF!!! I don't allow ANY program to update itself. NEVER! If I want a new vide card driver I go to their site and download what I think may be 'an improvement' and not just any driver because it's 'New'. And you have to realize that you are 'fighting' Windows when it comes to running Flight Sims. Microsoft made Windows to run Word, Office, and Power Point, spreadsheets, and all those other aps used by 'BUSINESS' concerns and could care less if you can't make Windows work for/with Flight Simming. Not Their Problem! OK? OK!!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

...once Windows 10 identifies a program as a threat there's no persuading it otherwise....

This is true for every windows from Vista on. Once DEP blackflags a program for "possible malware activity" there's no viable way to remove the flag. And it's a major catch-22; you can tell DEP to ignore a program if you've not yet run the program, but of course you don't know the program will be blocked until you run it.

There are instructions for clearing DEP's blacklist, but reinstalling windoze would be preferable to enduring that ordeal. So I just disable DEP immediately after any windows install.